Building Coils - Basics For Newbies

Fantastic @Rob Fisher. Sorry I have had intermittent access to the forum today. I will give you a shout tmz!

Courier won't arrive tomorrow because despite doing the bank transfer they don't send the goods until the deposit reaches their bank account. FNB to Std. :confused:

Rob, i think your man cave is AMAZING - so neat and tidy!!!

Rob, i think your man cave is AMAZING - so neat and tidy!!!

It is a lot less tidy these days because my wife and kids think that anything that doesn't fit in the house need to go in my Man Cave... I have now put a moratorium on anything being added to my man cave. My youngest daughter (25) keeps buying crap for her flat for when she eventually moves out and is storing in the cave.

I don't spend that much time in my cave anymore since I gave up stinkies and now only go there to play with my fishing tackle and prepare for compos!

It is a lot less tidy these days because my wife and kids think that anything that doesn't fit in the house need to go in my Man Cave... I have now put a moratorium on anything being added to my man cave. My youngest daughter (25) keeps buying crap for her flat for when she eventually moves out and is storing in the cave.

I don't spend that much time in my cave anymore since I gave up stinkies and now only go there to play with my fishing tackle and prepare for compos!

is that how you stumbled upon her blow torch LOL

So any coils built yet Rob?

Not yet Markus... the Kayfun is quite technical and I'm about to start playing with it... I have reviewed most of the other stuff that arrived today but the Kayfun I'm going to do slowly and methodically!

Not yet Markus... the Kayfun is quite technical and I'm about to start playing with it... I have reviewed most of the other stuff that arrived today but the Kayfun I'm going to do slowly and methodically!

please please please dont forget to give it a good wash before you use it.

use a toothbrush if you have to

remove the air control screw (put it in a safe place) and clean inside there as well.

please please please dont forget to give it a good wash before you use it.

use a toothbrush if you have to

remove the air control screw (put it in a safe place) and clean inside there as well.

Ahhhhhh thanks! I now know what that other screw with no head is for. :D

So iv just been messing around building or rather practising since I don't actually have a mech yet :p

yvanajap.jpg

tuqu5u9u.jpg

3azuhyra.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Haha that's awesome bud. You look like you have done your research and is ready to take on the challenge. Don't think I would have the patience to this just for practise :) but massive respect bud

Haha that's awesome bud. You look like you have done your research and is ready to take on the challenge. Don't think I would have the patience to this just for practise :) but massive respect bud

Need to get the braids tighter though. This was 26g as well. Am looking for small little bench vice to keep my two hands free for twisting.

Need to get the braids tighter though. This was 26g as well. Am looking for small little bench vice to keep my two hands free for twisting.

You will need a biggish atomizer to fit twisted 26 g in to go above 0.5 ohms. Yes, that needs to be twisted much tighter. A drill works quite well.

View attachment 2162

Rob, see how the coil has heated from the inside towards the outside? That is how you want your coil to heat up when you dry fire it. It won't do this the first time you fire it, so you heat it up, then pinch with the scisso-wezeers, then heat, then pinch, and repeat about 3 times, pinching quite hard. This should result in the coil heating from center outwards.

By pinch, you mean from the sides, squeezing the coils together against each other? (i've been seeing this for ages and not been sure just what it is.)

(Now looking at search results to find out whether i really need ceramic tip tweezers. How hot can a big, long piece of steel like tweezers get from a tiny hot coil? Don't mind, $12 at fasttech but i'm buying a nice Origen clone for that price.)

It's more for you to squeeze the coil while firing your mod. If you do with normal tweezers it will short

i suppose it's better to do it in place like that? (instead of off the atomizer, with a blowtorch.) ?

PS: what about doing it in place on the deck, with normal tweezers and a blowtorch?

PPS: ok, i realise it must be done in place, otherwise it would get disturbed...coils would shift.

What I do is pinch it into position between the tweezers getting it as straight as possible, then I put it back on the drill bit and twist and clamp it down. During this process i still warp the coil a bit as I'm still a bit new so then i pulse it till it glows and adjust it. So it would come in useful during that process.

And as a side note, if you not careful during heating the coil with the torch those tweezers will get pretty hot

ok, i get it - sort of. .....i suppose only the flat tips are needed...there are two brands there but only one has flat tips. So...

PS: Now i'm confused. Maybe the pointed tips are better. These coils are tiny. So tiny, seeing these little M1.6 and M2 screws today, made me think again, i'm so used to seeing the stuff in photos, much bigger than they actually are.

i suppose it's better to do it in place like that? (instead of off the atomizer, with a blowtorch.) ?

PS: what about doing it in place on the deck, with normal tweezers and a blowtorch?

PPS: ok, i realise it must be done in place, otherwise it would get disturbed...coils would shift.
I would not do it in place with a blowtorch as you can damage insulators and stuff, rather pulse to red, stop firing, squeeze.
Personally I very rarely squeeze in place on the atomizer. Find it much easier to pinch in tweezers before installation and torch with the blowtorch, getting it red hot for about 7 seconds, stop torch, hold for about 10 seconds. Then I install, do a quick pulse, que the mandrel to and fro in the coil, repeat, and voila even heating and no hot legs.

ok, i get it - sort of. .....i suppose only the flat tips are needed...there are two brands there but only one has flat tips. So...

PS: Now i'm confused. Maybe the pointed tips are better. These coils are tiny. So tiny, seeing these little M1.6 and M2 screws today, made me think again, i'm so used to seeing the stuff in photos, much bigger than they actually are.
For me the flat tips work well.

Back