Chi-you Mech Mod Blowing My Mind

Chop007

LV

Awards
Okay, first off, @Matthee, your advice on getting a mech mod instead of another VV/VW electronic mod, was so spot on. You sir are like the heart surgeon of vaping.

Now some pics of my new baby. I actually think I have just stumbled upon the perfect setup. Beauty and the beast rolled into one and it did not even cost as much as the Inkandla Residence of Zuma.

Chi-You%20One.jpg

A shimmering gold, it reminds me of Austin Powers, "Gold Member", it's gold, yeh baby, groovy.

Chi-You%20Three.jpg

Man I wish this picture had background sound, sort of like some dramatic percussion band playing during a movie, zooming out on planet surrounded by the background of space. What a stunning piece of kit.

My Aqua RBA is hooked up on top, with 1.2ohm dual coils. Vaping Berry Blaze from Vaporize(Legend of Note), at 12mg nic and WOOHOOOO, talk about a new vape experience. TH is awesome, cloud production depends on the weather, ....wether or not I choose to hold down the firing button for a long-short period.

No dry hits, perfect flavor every time. It feels good in the hand, like holding hands with Paris Hilton. No jokes, it is that good. It feels heavy but I do not care, it has style man and that is groovy. The design can be completely disassembled and it has extra rings to extend the length for bigger/longer batteries. No vent holes on the back so I will be taking note of ohms law and the various batteries spec before even thinking of pushing sub ohm.

Also purchased a ICR 18650 3.7V 2200MAH Blue Battery, no name on it. Yes, I know, the safety, but seeing what this puppy can do at 1.2ohms, I doubt I will be going sub ohm any time soon.

Chi-You%20Five.jpg

Just a quick pic to show the underneath.
I would just like to say a big thanks to @Matthee for the stellar advice. And also a Massive thanks to Pieter from Vaporize.co.za for the excellent service, friendly nature and brilliant selection of quality products. The device was R750, the charger R50, and the battery R250, and he gives a 10% cash discount!!!!! Nice guy, reminds me of Ghandalf for some reason. Awesome, and thank all of you here at this forum, freaking legends all of you. Rock n Roll.

Glad you love your mech. That is a helluva price to pay for one battery! Must be a mistake. That battery is not suitable for a mech. If you get a short you could be in trouble. As I advised, only IMR batteries, preferably AW or Efest.

Great review. I agree with Matthee though. fully charged (4.2v - 4.25v) you're already approaching 3.5 amps. That battery can't have an amp limit of more than 5 amps, not much room for error. Also no vent holes... eish!

Is the firing switch spring loaded or magnetic? I'm sure you can upgrade to magnets should you feel the need.

Congrats on your mech!

I'm actually a little scared right now. Could this or this be your battery. They have a limit of 3.23 max discharge current. No place in a mech those stuff.

Edit: At 1.2 ohms you're already breaking that limit.

ICR are ok in a regulated mod but not in a mechanical..

Rather get some efest batteries from CVS

The chi you should have some vent holes hidden in the switch assembly. Initially I thought the same with the nemesis, and they were hidden in the switch.

Please do NOT use the no name brand blue batts in the chi you. Most blue no name batts, are not even protected. A short happens way too easily, then you're in big trouble. No respected vendor should EVER sell that batt with a mech mod. Follow the other advise here, and get some IMR batts. Also get a proper intelligent charger, that cuts off at 4.2V since by far the most battery failures occurs whilst charging. In the mean time, don't charge any battery unattended in that charger (or on any charger if you really want to be safe). Hope I'm not coming off as being rude, but you should not muck around with batts and chargers, point.

Good review btw.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The chi you should have some vent holes hidden in the switch assembly. Initially I thought the same with the nemesis, but alas, they were hidden in the switch.

Please do NOT use the no name brand blue batts in the chi you. Most blue no name batts, are not even protected. A short happens way too easily, then you're in big trouble. No respected vendor should EVER sell that batt with a mech mod. Follow the other advise here, and get some IMR batts. Also get a proper intelligent charger, that cuts off at 4.2V since by far the most battery failures occurs whilst charging. In the mean time, don't charge any battery unattended in that charger (or on any charger if you really want to be safe). Hope I'm not coming off as being rude, but you should not muck around with batts and chargers, point.

Good review btw.

Awesome, no worries, thanks Sunram I been reading up on the IMR, ICR and what you all say is spot on. I actually managed to find out that the no name brand I got is from Shengzen Electronics and is most likely protected.

Imagine my wonder at the "Most likely protected". Yeah, I have read some scary stories over the last few hours since my review and have learnt a whole lot about those batteries. Decided to put it down until I get an IMR, way too scared, dentist bills are seriously expensive.

@Matthee you where correct, I was only charged R90, 00 for the battery if I remember correctly. @Reinvanhardt, wrong on both accounts, but close. It is just a blue battery that has written on it + ICR 18650 2200 MAH -. That is all the writing I got on it. All in one line.

I simply will not risk it, me and electricity have a very conflicting past. I can guarantee you that if there is a battery that is going to go into thermal runaway reaction and blow my teeth out, then I will get that battery.

I know for certain that there is no negligence intended by the seller, he is a flippen legendary dude and I know he would not sell anyone something that would do that. Just saying. Heck, most of the stuff that comes from China you have to look out for anyways. Even a battery that is completely rated as 'safe' for mech mods, could be used by some noob like me to devastating effect. Heck I already did that by placing a 0.6ohm coil on an ego battery because my iTaste VV would not fire it, and it caught on fire(True Story, flashing lights, smoke etc etc). Yes I have a Level 3 Fire Fighting Certificate from red Watch that was part of my Ocean Masters Skippers Training and I always have a Chemical Powder extinguisher handy, but, I would rather play it safe.

And while I am typing this, that flippen beautiful Chi-You is staring at me, saying, "You caaaaan doooo iiittt....you caaan doo iiit allll night looong." But no, I will not be tempeted I will go buy a proper battery with all the labels in tact.

Thanks y'all, this community is flippen awesome, you oaks look out for me, you got my back, and I got yours. I appreciate honesty above all else, except Honor.

Glad we could steer you in the right direction. Like you did, research is king! While you're at it, research some restraint techniques lol

Phew, thanks for that @Chop007. You had us worried. See they actually do have a battery on the site for R250.00, which is ridiculous. And I agree with @SunRam no vendor should sell such a battery whilst knowing it will be used in a mech, does not matter how good and kind and legendary he is. Black mark against Vaporize.co.za for me. Happy vaping.

Oh my hat it is like dem Paris Hilton apples are standing in front of me but I am told not to touch. Forbidden fruit. I am going to vape the hell out of this thing when I get my hands on proper batteries tomorrow. Dem apples WILL be mine to hold. Dammit.

Phew, thanks for that @Chop007. You had us worried. See they actually do have a battery on the site for R250.00, which is ridiculous. And I agree with @SunRam no vendor should sell such a battery whilst knowing it will be used in a mech, does not matter how good and kind and legendary he is. Black mark against Vaporize.co.za for me. Happy vaping.
All mellow @Matthee, we are all human and make mistakes. Not ones we repeat I am sure.

"Funny" and "Agree" can't I do both?

Something we can all have look at. Panasonic IMR vs AW IMR short circuit observations. This dude has big kahoona's, I would never even attempt this.

Now here is a dude I like, he opens a battery to check if there is any protection whatsoever, after explaining he had some batteries explode on him while just sitting around for a month doing nothing, so now he is scared to keep one in his pocket:

Now this you HAVE to see. It is a small, small, tiny little watch type battery, Lithium Ion. Now, imagine scaling that up to 2200mah and placing it in a sealed Mech Mod with no vent Holes. I thought folks exaggerated when saying it could turn that into a Pipe Bomb, heck, no sh1t hey, a Pipe bomb will be like a small Christmas cracker compared to what will happen if an unprotected ICR battery goes into thermal runaway reaction. All that energy stored in a closed environment like a Chi-You mech mod, BANG GOES THE WEASEL. Missing Teeth, think more along the lines of major facial reconstructive surgery required.

All this is very scary and all but the truth is, if you are serious about vaping, be serious about safety. Study up on all the aspects and take it slow, do not rush into it, only fools like me rush in(Elvis still rocks). There are safety precautions you can take and thankfully exploding batteries have been rare. If you are using a mech mod, do not use unprotected ICR batteries, even when using the correct batteries, make sure:
1. Know your batteries amp limits and not surpass them
2. Check for shorts, using something with short protection, before even trying to fire it on an unprotected battery.
3. Check your batteries voltage so they dont get too low.
There are many, many other ways to protect yourself, kick protection modules work great as well. So do not go boss and suffer consequences of stupidity. I was just lucky I had dudes here at this forum who cared enough to warn me.

Last edited:
Something we can all have look at. Panasonic IMR vs AW IMR short circuit observations. This dude has big kahoona's, I would never even attempt this.

Now here is a dude I like, he opens a battery to check if there is any protection whastoever, after explaining he had some batteries explode on him while just sitting around for a month doing nothing, so now he is scared to keep one in his pocket:

Now this you HAVE to see. It is a small, small, tiny little watch type battery, Lithium Ion. Now, imagine scaling that up to 2200mah and placing it in a sealed Mech Mod with no vent Holes. I thought folks exagerated when saying it could turn that into a Pipe Bomb, heck, no sh1t hey, a Pipe bomb will be like a small Christmas cracker compared to what will happen if an unprotected ICR battery goes into thermal runaway reaction. All that energy stored in a closed environment like a Chi-You mech mod, BANG GOES THE WEASEL.

Wow, that cool to see.
Awesome @Chop007

Okay, now I feel like changing the title to "Mech mod fake piece of poo". No disrespect intended and please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

IMG_20140326_195641.jpg

This is a picture of the top pin in the Chi-You. Now, on normal Chi-you's that pin is supposed to be able to screw down so you can make contact with various batteries/atties etc etc. This pin does not screw down, the cap(gold?) just pops off and underneath you find a little spring. So, my conclusion, it works but it is not quality. A bad knock off most likely. Now, to be able to use it on a 18650 battery, you have to keep the top air screw thingy off in order for the pin to make contact with the positive of the battery.

My 2nd gripe that really gets me is this:
IMG_20140326_195849.jpg

Yes, that is correct, ICR battery. These are NOT for mech mods with no protection as can be attested to by the youtube vids a posts above.

Now, the battery I could deal with, mistake, we are all human. But now, when seeing the absolute poo build quality of this device and it costing R750, 00. While at VapeKing their Chi-You only costs R450, 00 and looks more authentic, this has seriously left a bad taste in my beck.

Anyways at least I have learnt a lot, the price of knowledge is expensive these days. Please anybody correct me if I am wrong on any of these points. Next time I buy a device I am taking one of you more knowledgeable folks with me, I will even organize lunch and whatever. I must have a sign on my face that says "NOOBY". Or maybe it is just everybody jumping on the ecig wagon with no clue, me included. Oh well, at least it is not stinkies. Got to love vaping, when all else fails, just remember how bad the stinkies where.

Please if this serves anyone any good, learn from my costly mistakes.

It looks amazing in Brass / Gold :)

Shew but that is not good that its giving you issues chop.. That is really steep for a clone :(

Yeh pity the top pin cannot screw down nor up.

That is unacceptable. Did he not tell you it was a clone? I think its a must that retailers indicate if its a clone.

That is unacceptable. Did he not tell you it was a clone? I think its a must that retailers indicate if its a clone.
Even the clones on the web have a center pin that screws down. This may be a clones uncle. Or maybe 'Mini-Me's(Goldmember), borther's, poodles clone. I seriously have no idea. Maybe the 8888 as under the logo for the serial should have told me something. Ag well, I will go fishing tommorow and forget this whole war of the clones let down and move on, life's too short to let clones get you down. Freakin clones.

multiples of 8 is a very favourite nr in Chinese culture (suppose to be the luckiest nr) - it looks like a typical example of cheap-n-nasty-made-n-a-hell-of-a-hurry-in-china! Pity, cause it looks beautiful on the photos.

Yip, you were ripped off, @Chop007 and everyone on this forum should know it was www.vaporize.co.za. For R750.00 you could have gotten a genuine, great quality Smok Magneto from Vapeking and a mech clone for much less.
With your permission I would like to post a link to this thread on the Vaporize forum and ask for a response?

multiples of 8 is a very favourite nr in Chinese culture (suppose to be the luckiest nr) - it looks like a typical example of cheap-n-nasty-made-n-a-hell-of-a-hurry-in-china! Pity, cause it looks beautiful on the photos.
Thanks Johan, yeh, some massage parlors look beautiful from the outsite as well, but you never know if you will catch anything once you enter those doors. Not that I have ever entered those doors, never really had the need for a message. Anyways, good show piece and it still vapes, lets how long she lasts.

Back