Failing With Coil Building

Imthiaz Khan

Flavor chaser
LV

Awards
Hi All,

So i'm trying to get my coils to 1.2 ohms but failing getting to my target resistance. I am using 26g kanthal & according to vapours toolbox it should be 11/12 wraps on a 2mm ID. When i build it, it comes 3.7 ohms :confused:. What am i doing wrong?

atty build.jpg

Sounds strange @Bubbly
26g wire 11 wraps should not be anywhere near that high in ohms
I suspect either the way you connected it up is interfering with the reading or the ohm meter is giving a strange reading.

Also, cant really see how you have connected it in your photo and i have no experience with the 3D dripper.

There could be a few reasons why you are getting high ohms

ohm reader is fault
the wraps of the coil could be overlapping
The legs on your coil are two long

resistance is not just about wraps on a coil but also about how much kanthal you are using (leg length plays a big part in this)

Hope that helps

aye, any chance you have something like a svd to test the ohm's on instead?
you might also not have 26g kanthal, might be a thinner wire there

as a test measure a little longer than 1 inch worth of kanthal off, just long enough so the distance from the positive to the negative post should be 1 inch and test the resistance then. should give a good test to see if it's getting the correct resistance or what gauge kanthal it is

Just by the looks of that wire I would say that it is not 26g you have there, it looks way too thin to me. I'm guessing you have 32g there. As a test, do another 6 wrap coil, if it comes to the region of 1.8 - 2 Ω then you have 32g.

Just by the looks of that wire I would say that it is not 26g you have there, it looks way too thin to me. I'm guessing you have 32g there. As a test, do another 6 wrap coil, if it comes to the region of 1.8 - 2 Ω then you have 32g.

ag no man dont go confusing the poor oke, why waste all that kanthal when i have already suggested just using an inch? :(

Thanks for the advice guys!
So the test i should try, is take 1 inch of the wire, attach 1 end to the negative & the end to the positive & test what resistance i'm getting?

yeah the wire is slightly out of focus so you can determine from there that it is thinner than it appears. also the shape of the coil is slightly squiff and you don't get that with the thicker wire coils. size of the coil also seems to suggest thinner wire

@Bubbly, here is a resistance per inch chart just for reference:

Resistance in Ohms/inch for the Resistance Wires
Kanthal Grade----- A-1 ------ A -------- D ----- Nichrome 60 -------- Nichrome 80
30 awg (Ω/in)----- 0.7 ------ 0.7 ------ 0.7 -------- 0.6 -------- -------- 0.5
31 awg (Ω/in)----- 0.9 ------ 0.9 ------ 0.8
32 awg (Ω/in)----- 1.2 ------ 1.1 ------ 1.1 -------- 0.9 -------- -------- 0.9
33 awg (Ω/in)----- 1.4 ------ 1.4 ------ 1.3
34 awg (Ω/in)----- 1.8 ------ 1.8 ------ 1.7 -------- 1.4 -------- -------- 1.4
35 awg (Ω/in)----- 2.3 ------ 2.2 ------ 2.1
36 awg (Ω/in)----- 2.9 ------ 2.8 ------ 2.7 -------- 2.3 -------- -------- 2.1

probably 30 or 32 gauge kanthal is what you got yes. now you can go make a coil using 32 guage as the kanthal and if it differs too much for the calculater just assume its 30 gauge and go happily coiling yourself some new coils. good luck dude

Yay, it's much better now, i'm getting 1.8Ω and its vaping much much better! :D
I'm still not good at building coils...but with some practice i will hopefully get there.
Also going to get some 28g rather.
Thanks a mil guys! Really appreciate all your help, assistance & advice!
You guys rock :rock:

1.8 ohms.jpg

Back