Zamplebox , Monthly Boxes

Ross44

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hey Everyone,

I was taking a look a www.zamplebox.com and the subscriptions they offer. They deliver a box to your door monthly, full of different juices from different vendors. I am really interested in the gold package, but i have never purchased anything from outside South Africa before, and have no idea how customs and taxes work. The site says i would be billed $45 for the variety box, and another $20 for shipping.

Has anyone subscribed to this? I'd like to know if there are any other costs to consider before hitting the subscribe button.

I am not sure about juices but have ordered a few things from overseas.

The way customs works is that if the product is not available in SA they will charge you 14% VAT on purchase price in ZAR.

If the product is sold in SA then they will try to match it to local prices so as to stimulate local sales in future.

When it comes to liquid based stuff they can detain the package if they think that it is hazardous material (especially the case when importing raw nic). When ordering from the supplier ask them not to label with the ingredients as this will most likely have your package detained. Instead ask them to label it with some generic name like Vape equipment or simething like. If it is labeled with something mechanical like parts etc there is less of a change of them opening the package and detaining it.

That is just my 2c worth based on the experiences that I have had with overseas orders. I am sure others who have ordered juices from overseas can shed a bit more light on the topic.

True @BhavZ, I import a lot of nicotine and previously eliquids, and have never had any problem with customs detaining anything. They do detain a package instantly when there is no invoice with the package, so make sure they include that, but most, if not all US companies will include an invoice. You will probably look at R70 or R80 import tax on a $45 purchase. Some companies will reduce the amount shown on the package, so that you can save on import tax, but that could be risky if you/them are caught. Not worth it in my opinion. Most companies will mark your package as flavouring, if it's pre made eliquids, should you be worried about detentions. But like I said, I've never had eliquids detained.

I have not yet ordered any vape equipment or juices from overseas.
So far, the local retailers are keeping me busy ;-)
Hopefully it can stay that way.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm definitely gunna give this Zample Box thing a go now. :D

You sure they ship internationally?

You sure they ship internationally?
Ye, i popped them an email last week and they replied with an incredibly enthusiastic response about how excited they are to ship to South Africa.

Awesome think I will also sign up.

Problem is it works out to R72.00 per a bottle of 10ml each. Hmm unsure.

Problem is it works out to R72.00 per a bottle of 10ml each. Hmm unsure.
Before taxes? And if you don't like one, which is bound to be the case, costs escalates. Ah well, donations for the Tastebox!

Im still deciding if its viable.

Im still deciding if its viable.
lol, i dont think viable is the word i would use to describe this thing. its definitely on the expensive side, but i just cant help myself, there are gunna be some awesome looking bottles, also perhaps it will give me some insight into what people are vaping over seas. I'm also looking for a little inspiration when it comes to making my own juices, i seem to be running out of ideas fast.

Not to hijack this thread but what is the average price that everyone pays for juice?

R50.00-R60.00 for 10ml R120.00-R180 for 30ml

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I notice there are some juices which are R80 a 10ml bottle..

But now that I know R60 are the norm then that is awesome..

US prices from around $0.25 per 1ml to $1 per 1ml plus of course shipping fees and import tax.
SA prices from around R3 per 1ml to R10 per 1ml
I guess average R60 per 10ml?

With regards to the liquids coming in from overseas, is there not the risk of it being confiscated as well ? Or have things changed ?

Edit : ok i see this has been discussed, but i know of a few guys that had their juices confiscated

Never had that problem.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Its no secret that customs is waking up to this ecig thing and I heard a rumour that anything over 9.5mg nic concentration is going to start becoming a problem. Is someone willing to reseach and find out? This is one of the reasons I'm staying local.

Lately we have such a good variety locally, it's almost not necessary to get anything from overseas anymore. I remember when I started way back, we could only get Dekang (yuck) and I thought it was awesome. There was no option to get any mod or decent juice, unless you imported it. I still have a original lavatube, which is a pos, but it was great back in the day, but I had to go through alibaba to get it, and that was a struggle. Today, our options are so much better locally! Thank goodness for that

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Its no secret that customs is waking up to this ecig thing and I heard a rumour that anything over 9.5mg nic concentration is going to start becoming a problem. Is someone willing to reseach and find out? This is one of the reasons I'm staying local.

I did some research with regards to this. When calling any local agency, they will refer you to another agency. Then that agency will refer you back to the one you called in the first place etc, they actually don't know themselves. When i called SARS/Customs, they said that e-liquid carries an import duty of 45% o_O and that any e-liquid that contains nicotine will be confiscated. So what they're saying is you allowed to import it, providing you are willing to pay the 45%, and only allowed to bring 0mg e-liquids. If you google "e-liquid import duty South Africa", you will find that it is indeed 45%. Thats the reason certain juice vendors declare their juice as something else and do not stipulate the nic content, effectively making it "customs friendly".

interesting! not sure on how it works when bringing liquids for personal use as we have only ever bought in using the company name and the registered importers code associated with this

I will agree however that the tax is very high!

Jvapes in America is one of the companies that marks customs friendly as does House of Liquid in the UK - just have to ask them nicely :)

All i want in my Zamplebox or Tastebox is Boba's Bounty please :D And yes, if you insist, i will take some Gorilla Juice and PG Hype too :D

Back