Organic Cotton

RIEFY

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
I know many of you do not like the initial taste of the normal cotton. well I have found some organic cotton swabs at clicks was 15 bucks for a pack. I open the swab and pull cotton out and roll it for the kayfun. was therw a difference yes not crappy taste just pure flavor
a5y7ydeb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk HD

I wouldn't vape normal cotton CVS. Gallons of pesticides and god knows what goes onto it.

Been using organic cotton since I first tried cotton and it still tasted off to ne bro.

Sent from the Millennium Falcon

I only use organic cotton. My wife scored me some organic cotton balls at some Dischem in Athol in JHB. Works a charm.

I'm with RevnLucky on this one. Tried organic, sterile, normal, swabs, everything cotton. Still tasted industrial to me. Only thing that was better, was boiling the cotton at least 3 times.

maybe my taste buds are off lol. but I enjoyed the 1st vape on this cotton. any 1 else use organoc cotton?

maybe my taste buds are off lol. but I enjoyed the 1st vape on this cotton. any 1 else use organoc cotton?

No, I don't think so. Most peeps using cotton are fine with organic or sterile, but a few odd ones like myself and RevnLucky are not so lucky.

Unfortunately I don't think cotton is for me either. I've tried it in 2 devices, Igo-L and micro coil in the Protank and I definitely prefer Silica. For me the cotton just doesn't taste right, not sure why, also used natural organic cotton. It's a pity though as it would have been much cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with RevnLucky on this one. Tried organic, sterile, normal, swabs, everything cotton. Still tasted industrial to me. Only thing that was better, was boiling the cotton at least 3 times.

Read a post on Reddit a while back - the guy was absolutely against boiling cotton - He reckons all the chemicals in you tap water ends up in the cotton, including the calcium build up you always see on the element of a kettle.

Not sure how true that is of course, but I found it interesting that for every sollution there will always be people finding problems with it. So I guess you find one that works for you and stick with it, knowing the downsides :)

I also got organic cotton from dischem tried boiling it and straight from the packet but the first few vapes always taste horrible and then having to change it so often was lass so I reverted to silica. Might try cotton again again when I get a proper RBA but for now silica rules for ease of use and longevity.

I use organic cotton, but swop them every day. On day 2 it starts to get to dense, then there is 0 flavour. nadda. just vape that taste like pg

Read a post on Reddit a while back - the guy was absolutely against boiling cotton - He reckons all the chemicals in you tap water ends up in the cotton, including the calcium build up you always see on the element of a kettle.

Not sure how true that is of course, but I found it interesting that for every sollution there will always be people finding problems with it. So I guess you find one that works for you and stick with it, knowing the downsides :)
Health wise, sterile cotton should be the best, but still tastes industrial to me. I boiled in distilled water. Have not seen sterile cotton locally, but most peeps in the Reonaut forum use either that or organic.

Only problem and concern I have with organic, is that 'organic' is not a regulated term. Meaning there is no law in place that says "to call your product 'organic' you have to adhere to the following rules: "

So generally it means they use organic insecticides, no hormones etc. etc. but nobody is going to check up if you did do all of that

So technically I can import any old cotton from china and slap a 'organic' sticker on it and nobody will be able to say any different

So if you do buy organic, make sure it has an international organic accredition

http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Nutrition-basics/Organic-Food-101-20120721
How do I know if a product is organic?

The product packaging should have organic branding, an organic logo and an international accreditation stamp.

There is, at present, no legislation in place in South Africa regarding organic farming, but a new version of the Agricultural Products Standards Act 1990 (119) is in the pipeline. For this reason, farmers stick to International Organic Standards. Organic farmers from South Africa are certified by regulatory bodies that adhere to European Union requirements.

i used normal cotton, dont even think it was organic in the igol and it tasted pretty fine for me.

i used normal cotton, dont even think it was organic in the igol and it tasted pretty fine for me.
taste is one thing. Now what insecticide did the farmer use while protecting that cotton? You could be vaping that very same insecticide... Might not taste it, but if the cotton was treated with it, you are vaping it.
I'm slowly growing out of cotton any ways. Time to get back to silica.

I use organic cotton I have no issues. Silica on the other hand always has a funny taste to me.

What is the wick used in the standard Protank 2 coils?
If silica, is it the same silica that you buy for your RBA?

I only use organic cotton. My wife scored me some organic cotton balls at some Dischem in Athol in JHB. Works a charm.

What brand is it? Pic maybe

Have some other questions

1. How often do you guys change the cotton?
  2. Do you change it when you flavour change as well? Or do you rinse it and let it dry?
  3. What is the brand of cotton you are using.
  4. Do you treat the cotton before hand? Boil ect.
Any advice will be appreciated.

I will post tonight a pic tonight.

1. I change every 2nd tank.
2. See a no.1
3. Will have a look tonight and let you know.
4. I don't boil. Probably good practice to boil, but my organic cotton is perfect right from the packet.

2. Do you change it when you flavour change as well? Or do you rinse it and let it dry?
I do not use cotton much any more. Did not like the taste. To answer your questions based on my experience:
  1. Daily at least, for heavy juices sometime more frequently. This is relatively easy on a dripper or Reo, but can be a hassle on tank systems.
  2. Change when switching flavour. Easier than to rinse and dry the wick.
  3. Tried all the SA brands and in all formats, but all tasted industrial to me. Even some USA sterile cotton. Only became more acceptable once boiled.
  4. Yes, boil and dry, 3 times.

Only been using cotton on my trident. Its easier than changing silica for me. Still use silica on everything else

1. Everytime I change flavour or after a day use (which ever comes first)
2. Yes
3. Dis-chem Softi Organic cotton balls
4. trying it straight out the packet and boiled 2 or 3 times in distilled water. After boiling it, its not as absorbent. Don't know if thats in my head or not. Still switching between the 2 methods. But it tastes good out the bag.

Some flavours do not agree with cotton. Again might be in my head but I suppose that counts :p

I buy organic cotton and never boil it and have zero funny taste

Giz which brand do you use?

Found some at the Wellness Warehouse...

Organic.jpg

Made from certified organic cotton wool, these pads are gentle on your skin and are free of pesticide residues found in non-organic cotton. Bleached with hydrogen peroxide, a naturally produced whitening agent, also considered enviromentally friendly and safer than conventional bleaches such as chlorine bleach.

• No petrochemicals
  • Vegan
  • 100% organic cotton
  • No GM cotton
  • Grown without the use of artifical pesticides and fertilisers
  • Soil Assoc. certified

Back