Total Noob

sod

Noob Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi everyone,

Have been a smoker for more than half my life and have decided it is time to quit. I would like to get a vape to facilitate this.

I started off looking at the Twisp, but after some investigation and finding some users upgrade shortly thereafter, I have joined to begin my quest to try and find a vape that suits my needs.

See y'all around!

Welcome and goodluck with giving up stinkies! Im sure u can find something here to help facilitate the process easier!

Hi everyone,

Have been a smoker for more than half my life and have decided it is time to quit. I would like to get a vape to facilitate this.

I started off looking at the Twisp, but after some investigation and finding some users upgrade shortly thereafter, I have joined to begin my quest to try and find a vape that suits my needs.

See y'all around!

hi and welcome to the forum @sod
you have taken the first step bro. good luck with quiting stinkies.
i think a good start for you might be a vv spinner and a nautilus mini. investigate this option as it might be what you are looking for.
also its reasonable priced
good luck going forward

You guys are quick on the draw!
Thanks for the suggestions, will have a look into those.

You guys are quick on the draw!
Thanks for the suggestions, will have a look into those.

cool no prob.
if you need further assistance just post here and the thread will get flooded with answers and suggestions.

Like I said I'm a total noob:
Are the only required components a battery and atomiser? (I'm not sure of the jargon)

Like I said I'm a total noob:
Are the only required components a battery and atomiser? (I'm not sure of the jargon)

basically the vv spinner is a variable voltage pen type battery. you can adjust to the prefered setting for your style of vaping.
the nautilus is a tank. it comes with 2 coils.one to use and one a spare. easy to assemble and coils can be bought seperately.

the next step would be to find a juice that fits your taste. an adv (all day vape)
but this is a trial and error part so might take some time to find

Thanks for the explanation. I'm hoping to go nicotine free straight off the bat, will this limit the amount of flavours I could look at?

Hi everyone,

See y'all around!
Welcome to the forum @sod, you came to the right place. You will get lots of grate advice here.

Sent with the Reo Thor

Thanks for the explanation. I'm hoping to go nicotine free straight off the bat, will this limit the amount of flavours I could look at?

Actually the less nicotine the better the flavor, i've noticed. But for me after a year of vaping I still need my nicotine.

Sent with the Reo Thor

Most welcome to the forum. All the best with your journey. Browse around, shout if you have questions.

Your chances of quitting the stinkies with 0 mg nicotine will be poor at best. Most start at 18 or 12 mg, but many have worked their way down to 6, 3 and even 0 mg. Many vendors offer 0 mg, I know www.vapourmountain does.

As to gear, you need a battery, an atomizer, spare coils and juice. Good to always have a backup battery and an extra atomizer to switch flavours and keep it interesting.

Good suggestions from @Marzuq above in this regard.

I like the look and functionality of the coming soon iStick: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/vapeclub-istick-by-eleaf-20w-in-the-palm-of-your-hand-inbound.5738/

Welcome to the forum @sod :)

Congrats on making the decision to switch over to vaping :rock:

I would strongly suggest starting with 1 or 2 flavours of juice with a fair amount of nicotine, don't go overboard with juice to start with, you need to find your preferred strength, start high and work your way down over time. Starting at 0 nic will not give you what you need and the cravings will push you right back to smokes.

I have a few questions for you....

1. What is your starting budget?
2. What are you smoking at the moment and how much?

Thanks for the info guys, I will try to pick up 1 nicotine free and 1 middle of the road strength to try. Your suggestions and advice is much appreciated

Welcome to the forum @sod :)

Congrats on making the decision to switch over to vaping :rock:

I would strongly suggest starting with 1 or 2 flavours of juice with a fair amount of nicotine, don't go overboard with juice to start with, you need to find your preferred strength, start high and work your way down over time. Starting at 0 nic will not give you what you need and the cravings will push you right back to smokes.

I have a few questions for you....

1. What is your starting budget?
2. What are you smoking at the moment and how much?

1. As little as possible! LOL
But I'm looking at around R1500

2. Winston Slide Blue, smoking a pack a day ATM

1. As little as possible! LOL
But I'm looking at around R1500

2. Winston Slide Blue, smoking a pack a day ATM
OK cool, I hear you on the "as little as possible" ;)

My recommended setup to start with..... a Kangertech EVOD dual kit. Has 2 complete devices so you always have a spare and you can alternate flavours, This is around R600 to R700 including spare coils and charger. Becuase the EVOD isn't quite as powerful as some of the pricier stuff I would suggest starting with 18mg, get 2 or 3 flavours. Once you get the hang of this and understand the tech a bit better you will have a better idea of where you want to go next regarding hardware and juice.

Welcome @sod, I managed to quit a 28year, 2 pack/day winston red.. with the assistance of a flea market knock off ego thing from the flea market, or course I only used it for 4 days before moving on to a rebuild-able tank system which provides a much better experience in comparison.

Eight months later, and I still have the last half empty pack right here beside me. And the unopened one in my car. I can honestly say that I have never even had one drag, since making the switch. And I couldn't be more proud of myself.

My advice would be to get at least a 12mg nic juice in the beginning, have at least two devices ready all the time. And watch a ton of youtube vids dealing with the subject. Ignore the negativity of those around you, and focus on the other positives that you will soon discover again.

Oh and if you were hoping to save money, forget it. In the short term you will likely spend a fortune. But it'll be so worth it down the line. Lastly, good luck.

@sod

With that budget, I would strongly suggest you get yourself a battery with variable voltage (like the Vision Spinner 2), which allows you to change the power setting to suit you. You may find that with fixed voltage batteries like the EVOD it may not deliver enough power to satisfy your craving for a good throat hit which you get from cigarettes.

I started off with a fixed voltage battery and almost went back to smoking because it wasn't enough - wasted money. Now I have the Vision Spinner 2, it makes a huge difference and I barely crave from cigarettes anymore.

@sod

What would also help is a tank with adjustable airflow, like the mini Aspire Nautilus or Kangertech Genitank. This allows you to further adjust the vape and find the perfect combination for you. Also, being able to play around with the different settings gives you something to do with your hands and distract you from any cravings.

Lastly, make sure you get spare coils!

hallo and welcome.
I want to say go straight for the big stuff as you will get more satisfaction BUT its the journey that is fun.
I jumped from a twisp to a hana 30W and dripper. yes i did struggle and i did get the shakes some nights from trying to build a coil cause i just wanted to vape! you really learn fast and like most people on here you will buy, sell, borrow and break a few components before you find your groove.

Its worth it and alot of fun.
keep on keepin on.

nic should only really affect the throat hit as far as i am aware.
and satisfy the nic craving. if you can manage nic free then hats off to you.

Welcome sod. I myself am really new to the forum but can tell you str8 off the bat that all the advice that you need can be found here. The users that make up this forum have me hooked and I am like a kid in a candy shop. I want everything. The people here are awesome and I am sure you will be on the road to Quitting sooner than you think!

I started off with a Kanger EMOW Kit - which includes a 1300mAh VV battery, an airflow controlled atomizer, charger and 5 spare coils.
Additionally, I bought an extra Vision Spinner 2 battery - so I could always have one charged while using the other. Later I also bought another atomizer (clearomizer, tank)
At VapeKing this worked out to just about R1200 - money well spent. I haven't had a smoke in over 2 months and these devices are still doing their job perfectly.

So, did I make the right decision everyone?

Attachments

• 20141025_160014.jpg
    20141025_160014.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 74
Back