Update to the SAPO strike (Important Warning)

WHeunis

Probably Tired
LV

Awards
IF ITS NOT BEING DELIVERED TO YOUR FRONT DOOR, THEN ITS BEING HANDLED BY SAPO!

Hey guys.

Rather important for all of you to know that as of today, SAPO is not only a risky option, or last option for vapemails - but in fact, an utter MUST AVOID scenario.

As it turns out, the situation is MUCH worse than we anticipated.
SAPO is quite literally on the doors of insolvency, with it's hands open in front of the treasury department's doors for a bailout.

Insider source tells me that talks of dissolving and privatizing the postal service might be on the cards, but that the gap might be as long as five to ten years in the interrim.

Whatever, long story short:

DO NOT USE SAPO FOR ANYTHING UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

Last edited:
Too late... ;(

Best you can hope for is that somehow you get lucky enough for you mail to push through the limited functioning that some of the branches are still operating at.
But literally, if treasury doesn't give the handout, we might be looking at a full-on shutdown altogether...

I don't like fearmongering... but I was just about to trigger a rather hefty Vaporshark order when I got wind of all this... would've been a hecticly expensive mistake and would hate to see that happen to someone else as well...

I can't even begin to imagine the impact that this is going to have on our local retailers/sellers/etc...

I have to say i was shocked yesterday when i passed our post office in Elgin mall.
It was absolutely trashed. windows broken, everything inside was thrown around and it looks like they even started a fire.
I was scared just looking at it.
My applications for work outside of SA are back on the sites.
Sh*t just got real...........

Capemail is still functioning - security seems a bit tighter though. They scan your ID on entry and exit now

I can't imagine anyone taking this sort of post seriously without coming from a reputable news source or person.

In this thread smack of the sort of headline one would read in the daily sun.

I've got an HD video cam and 1 watt FM transmitter from china in the post. landed at customs beginning of june. now stuck in pretoria hub for more than a month already.
I've already prepared my self to let those items go. I doubt I will ever see it.
It has been reported that there are 1 million items stuck between the hubs. Do you think those items are neatly packed on shelves? not a chance!
Now we are risking damage, or thieves amongst angry protesters. Vandalism...
In my opinion, what ever you have in the postal system... forget about it. See it as a bonus if you do get it.

I think the government will bail them out, but all trust is broken. I will never use SAPO for anything. My e-tolls can gladly go via post. I dont mind. anything else... no ways!

I was just discussing this point at lunchtime with a few of my collegues and we came to the same conclussion. If the treasury do not bail them out then it is most definately going to happen.

News this morning says it has digressed to the point that they cannot pay salaries at the end of the month.. (Not that it should be a problem seen as no one is blady working:-@)

SAPO is still operating, they've just change operation from delivering parcels to storing parcels :rolleyes:

I can't imagine anyone taking this sort of post seriously without coming from a reputable news source or person.

In this thread smack of the sort of headline one would read in the daily sun.

And yet, a mere 12 seconds of your own time on google would have told you more than enough from multiple "reputable news sources" (pick whichever you consider reputable to your own world views) - considerably less time, I imagine, than it took you to post that reply...

Does anyone know the real impact this is going to have on the retailers and further stock coming into the country?

I dont know if they would be paying for UPS shipping to get products in as this would be heavily expensive, not?

intl couries are very expensive. anything from R1000 to R3000 or more per shipment.
The most I've paid via post is in the region of R300. Big difference!

We ordered some spools quite a while back, and because it is not a critical item ( I wanted to try out some chinese ones for cheaper and they looked a bit better) we decided to go with the free-shipping option

Parcel has been sitting at gauteng hub since the 15th of August - I somehow doubt we are going to get it

Even at the best of times I avoid using SAPO - had plenty of packages coming in from overseas that have gone missing.

It sucks paying for the more expensive shipping options - but at least you know that you package will arrive.

I highly doubt that the government will let SAPO fold.

this country is going to the dogs, oh wait, edit, this country has gone to the dogs

heres a noob question, if you order something from over the sea, and it comes with USPS, does that also have to go via SAPO to get to you?

What are the chances of the post office in bedford centre letting me go in and look in my parcel is in the back? :rolleyes:

heres a noob question, if you order something from over the sea, and it comes with USPS, does that also have to go via SAPO to get to you?
Yeah we sat with the same problem - TFA uses USPS, but Melinda convinced them to use FEDEX - more expensive, but delivered to our door at least

So for those that are less informed like myself, which option is the best when ordering internationally and how much input will it have from unreliable sources like the SAPO?

For example, I almost pulled the trigger directly with Reosmod the other day with the $48 shipping option but I wondered about customs and if they are on the same vibe as the post office these days, wasn't sure if I would get it or if it would incurr a major delay or not.

So for those that are less informed like myself, which option is the best when ordering internationally and how much input will it have from unreliable sources like the SAPO?

For example, I almost pulled the trigger directly with Reosmod the other day with the $48 shipping option but I wondered about customs and if they are on the same vibe as the post office these days, wasn't sure if I would get it or if it would incurr a major delay or not.

That would be via SAPO.
If it isn't being couriered to your door, then its being done by SAPO.

ANYTHING regarding a postbox or over-the-counter parcel, is SAPO.

FedEx, UPS, etc = courier, OK to use.
FOr something like a Reo to be couriered to you will cost around $120-$200 or upwards, depending on the size, weight, priority, and individual courier rates.

Prime example.
Vaporshark: $190
Courier Fee via UPS: $137
Mail via USPS/SAPO: $26

You can bet your skinnies you will not get anything couriered internationally for less than $100.

Any imports, rather pay extra and insist on couriers service, i.e FEDEX, UPS, TNT etc. As sson as you make use of any overseas postal delivery service like USPS (USA) or Royal Mail (UK) etc. and even EMS, it goes straight to SAPO's clearing dept and then you're fooked.

I consider it a very un-noobish question.
So much so, I added it to the top of my OP just to make sure it's clarified.

Back