A cheeky ask - upload size

Chickenstrip

All these flavours and you choose to be salty
LV

Awards
Would it be possible to increase the upload size for images?

The phones of this day and age take high Res images. When I post to the classifieds I have to take a photo then screenshot the photo to reduce its size and quality before I can upload.

It makes the image quality far worse. Phones are only going to be taking larger photos from here on. So this is a plea to increase the upload size. However due to costs involved I'm happy to just keep doing it the way I'm doing it.

Figured there's no harm in bringing up the topic.

I use ACDsee to reduce my forum pics to 800x600 which is the optimum size for forums these days and the pics are plenty good enough methinks?
Dani FIshing 1.jpg

I use ACDsee to reduce my forum pics to 800x600 which is the optimum size for forums these days and the pics are plenty good enough methinks?
View attachment 201853

Is this a mobile application or pc? Definitely not an issue if posting from the pc. There are definitely some workarounds for the phone too.

Next time I'll see if I can lower my image quality before I snap a photo.

Is this a mobile application or pc? Definitely not an issue if posting from the pc. There are definitely some workarounds for the phone too.

Next time I'll see if I can lower my image quality before I snap a photo.

Ahhh yes on my PC. They do have a mobile version but I don't do much online browsing on my phone so haven't played with that yet.

I sometimes forget that not everyone is old and prefer a large PC screen and real keyboard to play online. :p

But now that I think about it it would be nice to be able for the forum to accept a large picture upload and convert it on the fly to 800x600 before using it in a post!

@Gizmo @Silver have been tagged!

For the moment I'll stick to what works. But it would be very convenient to get that functionality implemented. I spend less than 1% of my time on the forum via pc.

I'm not sure about Android devices, but iPhone allows for a resizing of photos for upload - mine usually drop from 3Mb + to around 870kb.

I have an app on my phone to reduce picture size. It's called Photo & Picture Resizer.

Thanks @Chickenstrip and @Rob Fisher

we will take it onboard and look into it

What I’ve been doing for quite some time is use 3rd party app, Tapatalk for uploading images
It allows for image resizing on the fly and gives you three options as you upload the image
It would be great if we could implement that functionality on the forum itself
While tapatalk is great for images it doesn’t have all the other functionality of the forum (various rating icons, voting on polls, rsvp etc)

I only use Tapatalk for uploading images From the phone
Browsing the forum on my mobile phone is ok using the normal browser , but I prefer using my iPad or the PC

Testing image upload

C9195ED1-14B6-4B21-A299-55E94A1EA00E.jpeg

I'm not sure about Android devices, but iPhone allows for a resizing of photos for upload - mine usually drop from 3Mb + to around 870kb.

You are 100% right @DavyH
Thank you so much for this

I just went to check now and iPhone gives you the choice when selecting a picture what size you want

For the one above I selected “Small”

am going to select medium now

7F7B7142-98C2-4A91-9497-B9FBF85C8267.jpeg

Wow, this is amazing @DavyH

it works beautifully, image size change on the fly

when selecting the image, you tap just below it and it says image size

original pic was huge (3000 by 4000 pixels I think) - 3.5 MB in file size
Small was like 69kB
Medium was about 200 kB - I think that looks to me like 600 by 800

This wasn’t available before and I’ve been using tapatalk for ages
Must be something new in iPhone with latest iOS

we just need someone to check if Android has that function natively while browsing the forum on the browser.

wow, I can’t believe this, amazing

@Rob Fisher , check this out

Last edited:
Testing again

CF75CB26-CA84-4C42-878F-E90FF94FE681.jpeg

This is the option it now gives (on my iPhone) when you select a photo

When you select that it gives you
Original size
Small
Medium
Large

Fantastic !!!

Last edited:
Thanks @Grand Guru

Are you on Android?

if so, can you test uploading an image using a normal browser on the forum

See if it has a way to adjust the image size on the fly as you are about to upload.

I sometimes forget that not everyone is old and prefer a large PC screen and real keyboard to play online. :p

So do I uncle Rob. Not much of a smartphone guy. My phone is for phoning. PC is for ... well...PC'ing.......hahaha

The thing is that while I prefer the bigger screen on the iPad and the PC - i often am out and about and want to take a picture and share it there and then - otherwise I will forget to do it later - or get too busy.

If I dont do it there and then - I usually don't get round to it

So it's nice to have the mobile browser for that - because nowadays almost all my photos are taken on the iPhone - its been a long time since I fired up my little Canon S110. (lovely camera) - but in most situations the iPhone is just as good - and for web its perfect

OK, I just did the above from an Android phone. No option to resize natively. Guess I would need an app for that. This was on Chrome browser. No tapatalk.

OK, I just did the above from an Android phone. No option to resize natively. Guess I would need an app for that. This was on Chrome browser. No tapatalk.

Thanks @Stranger
That image is a good size IMO for the forum - not tiny but not too large.
Looks good

Testing again

This is what’s in my hand right now ...

this is medium size selected for the image upload straight from iPhone on safari browser

768EA7FD-D7DA-4228-89EC-E32C31A3D7EF.jpeg

Back