Alcohol and tobacco ban to remain for lockdown

takatatak

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Prepare to get pissed off!! :-@

Alcohol and tobacco ban to remain for lockdown

Published by Lucinda Dordley on July 22, 2020

The ban on alcohol and tobacco will remain in place for the duration of lockdown. The South African Government announced the decision announced on Wednesday [July 22]. This news has delivered a heavy blow to the restaurant, wine-making and beer-brewing industries.

“The ban on the sale of alcohol and cigarette will remain in place throughout the lockdown period. The purpose is to save lives and protect the health and well-being of our people,” Government said in a Tweet.

According to Government, patients who suffer from alcohol-related injuries often place a strain on medical resources for extended periods.

“For example, 2% of stab-related admissions (a common trauma associated with alcohol abuse) require admission to the ICU for an average of five days,” it said. “The impact of blunt force trauma is greater. Of 72% requiring hospital admission, 25% are admitted to the ICU for an average of nine days.”

The news has been met with opposition, and many are asking why there is no explanation for the ban on cigarettes.

“So basically now there is no review, no compromise no listening to courts, it states ‘throughout the lockdown’ meaning that even if a court tells them to desist, they will keep these bans in place, this is wrong means they can ban and keep anything in place,” one social media user said.

“Where’s your recent scientific proof justifying the cigarette ban? We ALL still smoking, and no smoker has taken up Covid-19 beds and/or trauma room space and/or needed Doctors’ attention due to smoking. Is that simple enough for you understand,” another said.

“Imagine if we had an effective law enforcement system that could curb drunk driving, GBV, assault and attempted murder. Imagine if we had leaders with integrity that would be excellent examples to citizens… We have none of that. Where’s the “Science” behind the cigarette ban?” commented another.

Updated tweet

1/2: This account posted a tweet earlier today which said that the ban on the sale of alcohol and cigarettes would remain in place throughout the lockdown period. This is incorrect. The sale of alcohol and tobacco products is prohibited under the current Level 3 regulations.

2/2: This decision may be reviewed at any time by the relevant structures should the conditions which necessitated it change. We regret any confusion the tweet has caused. :wondering:

Sorry if anyone had a seizure or needed to change their underwear after reading the original post :doh:

Adding the twitter thread for the lols(or lack thereof)
(edited as the tweet has since been removed)
Screenshot of the now-removed tweet I had saved just for this:
UBcVaKb.png

There is a slow drive peaceful protest happening this Saturday, which I know is being organised by smokers but I personally feel applies to us as well (https://smokers.elitefunnels.com/ if anyone is interested)

Last edited:
I can understand the alcohol ban which helps reduce the load on the hospitals - so they can better cater for COVID patients

But I think the ban on tobacco makes far less sense - I mean, what is the reason for it? Social smokers passing a cigarette around? Or the lungs issue? Both are weak. A long time smoker has made the damage to the lungs already. Stopping for a few months might be beneficial but its not going to repair the lungs to their original state - that takes years.

And actually, you could argue that now that its harder to get cigarettes is where people will actually share them - so mouth to mouth contact through a shared cigarette will probably be more now.

Crazy

As for vaping - dont get me started on that...

We spend years trying to help this industry grow and make platforms like this forum and VapeCon - only for it all to be banned for months - without any warning. Madness.

If they were smart they would have had an opportunity to convert people to vaping by not banning vaping. I still dont think the smoking ban is fair either - no warning of the length of this ban was given. How were smokers supposed to know it would go on for months? Was only supposed to be 3 weeks.

I can only hope that sense will prevail soon...

I wish the National Command Council could give me a call or invite me for coffee - I will explain it to them with the greatest of pleasure.

If they were smart they would have had an opportunity to convert people to vaping by not banning vaping. I still dont think the smoking ban is fair either - no warning of the length of this ban was given. How were smokers supposed to know it would go on for months? Was only supposed to be 3 weeks.

I completely agree with you. This ban has done far more damage than any good, just the impact on the livelihood of farmers and their staff, as well as everyone in the alcohol industry. It has been sad to see many of the microbreweries that I loved suffering and some going under.

I can only hope that sense will prevail soon...
This is something I worry about, as I am not sure how much sense there is between those making these decisions. It looks a lot more like a power trip that they have long lost control over.

This is something I worry about, as I am not sure how much sense there is between those making these decisions. It looks a lot more like a power trip that they have long lost control over.

It really does smack of sheer petulance on the part of the doektator. I’m sure the original tweet meant exactly what it said, but the NCCCCCCCCC weren’t prepared for the sh1tstorm they unleashed.

I don't see how the restaurant business can survive this. So few people are prepared to go out for a meal without being able to have a drink - and never mind having to wear a mask! I actually didn't realise that people are so dependent on alcohol, even if it is just a bottle of wine with dinner. I don't drink at all - I don't have anything against it, I simply don't like the taste, so it's been an eye-opener for me.

EDIT: I love liqueurs e.g. Baileys, but they have far too much sugar for a diabetic!!

The “retraction” is no more than spin doctoring... I bet you the decide to keep the bans at every review point going forward...
“My fellow South Africans, we have once again reviewed the decision to ban, sorry suspend, the sale of alcohol and tobacco and have decided that it would still be in the interest of the country to keep them in place. Stay tuned for an announcement of which the date is yet to be determined (there will be an announcement for this), during which we will indicate that an announcement on the following review will take place at a time yet to be determined.”

During all of this only one question remains in my mind. How much will it take for the citizens of this country to just revolt and tell the public servants in office to just go suck a fat one, and that they are fired.
Why do we allow the people we “chose” to look after our public interest to dictate to us what we may, or may not, without any say in the matter? Surely that is not democratic?

also, on a side note, i am to retire at 65, a law instituted by the same public servants in question. So why are we being dictated to by a bunch of pensioners, while paying them a hefty salary with tremendous perks at that?
People always vilify anarchy. I sometimes see the logic behind it though, mostly that i do not appreciate that the powers that be can decide on my personal well-being for me. This pandemic has just gone to prove that even more.

Back