Anyone with a High Speed Camera on the forum?

Intuthu Kagesi

Proficitis cum eo
LV

Awards
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, (If not, please feel free to move it Moderators ;))

I have been experimenting with tanks, (specifically vape chambers and chimneys in this instant), and have a theory about coils, that if I am correct, could well change the way we coil, wick and lay out our decks, and ... will certainly explain why the placement of the coil is as important as what we know it is.

The theory being that the majority of the vapour comes out of the wick ends of the coil, not off the surface of the coil, (more so with contact coils).

The way to prove this is easy enough ... by videoing simple single coils, both contact and spaced, at low and medium power, at high speed, and on an exposed deck :) ... and then replaying it at low speed.
I unfortunately don't have a high speed camera :( ... any takers out there?

this sounds like fun !

I agree ... even if I am wrong, we'll end up seeing the atomisation cycle in slow motion, which I'm sure everyone will find interesting :)

If I'm right, then I'd like to take it further and test out other coil types too, and let's prove, (scientifically) once and for all which type(s) are better / best.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, (If not, please feel free to move it Moderators ;))

I have been experimenting with tanks, (specifically vape chambers and chimneys in this instant), and have a theory about coils, that if I am correct, could well change the way we coil, wick and lay out our decks, and ... will certainly explain why the placement of the coil is as important as what we know it is.

The theory being that the majority of the vapour comes out of the wick ends of the coil, not off the surface of the coil, (more so with contact coils).

The way to prove this is easy enough ... by videoing simple single coils, both contact and spaced, at low and medium power, at high speed, and on an exposed deck :) ... and then replaying it at low speed.
I unfortunately don't have a high speed camera :( ... any takers out there?

Might want to have a look at CHDK for Canon, I know that my A480 supports motion detection to the order of 127 micro secs, used for lightning capture.

Most high endish smartphones have 60fps slowmo built in, some have higher frame rates.

You live and learn ... Thanks for that info OnePowerfulCorsa :) ... I doubt my Chinese Huawei can :rolleyes:

Who has a "high endish" cell phone that's prepared to do a few of tests then?

Might want to have a look at CHDK for Canon, I know that my A480 supports motion detection to the order of 127 micro secs, used for lightning capture.

Based on your proven history of project documentation, I'm hoping that not only is your camera capable, but that you'd be prepared to do the test ;) {hint, hint}

You live and learn ... Thanks for that info OnePowerfulCorsa :) ... I doubt my Chinese Huawei can :rolleyes:

Who has a "high endish" cell phone that's prepared to do a few of tests then?
Actually your phone just might, they are industry leaders with their camera technology. Just watch a review of you phone to see if it can?

Actually your phone just might, they are industry leaders with their camera technology. Just watch a review of you phone to see if it can?

I'm going to give it a go a lil' later and see if you're right ... Bonus if it can :) ... hold thumbs!;)

EDIT:
So my phone does indeed do what Huawei label as "Slow-mo", however it's nowhere close to what's required ... It is a year an a bit old if that makes any difference? ... maybe a newer one has better / more advanced capabilities?
Screenshot_20210305-141056.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to give it a go a lil' later and see if you're right ... Bonus if it can :) ... hold thumbs!;)

EDIT:
So my phone does indeed do what Huawei label as "Slow-mo", however it's nowhere close to what's required ... It is a year an a bit old if that makes any difference? ... maybe a newer one has better / more advanced capabilities?
View attachment 224177

The newer Samsungs (my Note 10+ has it) have a slow-mo as well as a "super slow-mo" feature which should work.

The newer Samsungs (my Note 10+ has it) have a slow-mo as well as a "super slow-mo" feature which should work.

Do want to give it a go with your "super slow-mo" device? ;) ... wick up a single plain wire contact coil on an open deck, and video the coil as you press the fire button, then 'rinse and repeat' with a single plain wire spaced coil :)

Do want to give it a go with your "super slow-mo" device? ;) ... wick up a single plain wire contact coil on an open deck, and video the coil as you press the fire button, then 'rinse and repeat' with a single plain wire spaced coil :)

Will do so. Will be druuunk for most of the weekend so expect to see results on Monday.

Also, I need to see if I have any non-clapton wire...

Here's a gif I made with the slow mo cam on my phone, the video is far to big to add so I just turned it into a gif. View attachment 224183

I love it! ... so the pops we all know about, and some of those droplets find themselves in your mouth too, however if you look to the left of the coil, that's what I noticed, that trickle of vapour, which prompted the thought. I then tried with a loose-ish wick, and saw it happen on both sides of the coil, and NOT the center! :)

EDIT:
I can't get enough of this :campeon2: ... I would love to see the video frame by frame, as it looks to me like that pop happens on the right side of the coil ... now this explains how Zeus get it right by directing air on the ends of the coil as apposed the sides, it also substantiates why wicking density is more of an issue with some tanks than others.

Last edited:
I love it! ... so the pops we all know about, and some of those droplets find themselves in your mouth too, however if you look to the left of the coil, that's what I noticed, that trickle of vapour, which prompted the thought. I then tried with a loose-ish wick, and saw it happen on both sides of the coil, and NOT the center! :)

EDIT:
I can't get enough of this :campeon2: ... I would love to see the video frame by frame, as it looks to me like that pop happens on the right side of the coil ... now this explains how Zeus get it right by directing air on the ends of the coil as apposed the sides, it also substantiates why wicking density is more of an issue with some tanks than others.
Your theory makes a lot of sense, many people here love claptons that are not spaced, and I have always spaced mine because it tastes much better for me. My theory was that it needs to escape the cotton and the spacing helps that

Your theory makes a lot of sense, many people here love claptons that are not spaced, and I have always spaced mine because it tastes much better for me. My theory was that it needs to escape the cotton and the spacing helps that

Your point with respect to having more flavour is valid with respect to spaced Claptons IF you have bottom or lower side airflow, based on what we see for now ... lets wait to see the two, (spaced vs. contact coil), differences, if any? ;)

Your point with respect to having more flavour is valid with respect to spaced Claptons IF you have bottom or lower side airflow, based on what we see for now ... lets wait to see the two, (spaced vs. contact coil), differences, if any? ;)
I have dotaio and billet box bridges, all bottom airflow , I taste a big difference . But airflow from different angles I am interested to see what comes out

EDIT:
I could possibly email it to you if it fits or I can put it in my Google drive and send you the link to it. Let me know if you want the original video

EDIT:

Here's a link to the actual video on my Google drive, actually took this video in Jan playing around with the slow mo cam and just rewicked the brunhilde

Back