Bass fishing

aktorsyl

Elite Vaper
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Any avid bass fishermen/women out there?

Man, this last season was terrible in the Cape. All the usual bass fishing spots were either completely dry (as in literally no water), or pressured. The spawn was extremely late too... I actually did not catch a single bass this season, and had to resort to trout for a bit. Beautiful rainbow trout, sure - but no bass, and dammit I hate getting skunked for an entire season o_O (incidentally, the trout once bit a bloody large bass crankbait, which in itself was kinda bizarre. But mostly they were ravenous for normal silver spinners. For an added challenge I used my baitcasting setups instead of spinning setups, and it was good fun)

As for the pressured bass, they were fussy. Even used my trusty squirreltail soft plastics on jigheads which almost always works in pressured lakes, but nada.

Actually, also tagging @Rob Fisher because he cheats :p

Any of you in the Cape area though? If so, which bass fishing spots are your go-to ones? Winelands especially, the city dams are morsig lately.

Usually they'd go into pre-spawn soon, but with the rainfall being all stupid the last year I have a sneaky suspicion they'll be active till late June.

Last edited:

Man, this last season was terrible in the Cape. All the usual bass fishing spots were either completely dry (as in literally no water), or pressured. The spawn was extremely late too... I actually did not catch a single bass this season, and had to resort to trout for a bit. Beautiful rainbow trout, sure - but no bass, and dammit I hate getting skunked for an entire season o_O (incidentally, the trout once bit a bloody large bass crankbait, which in itself was kinda bizarre. But mostly they were ravenous for normal silver spinners. For an added challenge I used my baitcasting setups instead of spinning setups, and it was good fun)

As for the pressured bass, they were fussy. Even used my trusty squirreltail soft plastics on jigheads which almost always works in pressured lakes, but nada.

Any of you in the Cape area though? If so, which bass fishing spots are your go-to ones? Winelands especially, the city dams are morsig lately.

Usually they'd go into pre-spawn soon, but with the rainfall being all stupid the last year I have a sneaky suspicion they'll be active till late June.
With all due respect, but how much of that is in actual English? :couch:

Lol its fish speak... I grew up fishing for bass. Have never had any luck since I was 7 when I caught my first two bass ...

This season hasnt been good either, friends either snagging small ones or big ones jumping the line.

The only person that has been lucky is my gardener - he's caught a few big ones.

Lol, you get used to it.

hobbies-leisure-cross_dressing-drag-drag_queens-fishing-fishermen-jhan1223_low.jpg

Lol its fish speak... I grew up fishing for bass. Have never had any luck since I was 7 when I caught my first two bass ...

This season hasnt been good either, friends either snagging small ones or big ones jumping the line.

The only person that has been lucky is my gardener - he's caught a few big ones.
Lol indeed, I hate the difference between fishing for bass and catching bass :p
I even bought a new minnow... incredible little lure, natural-looking, heavy, perfect motion. Expensive as hell, too. Rigged it up, cast in and.... watched as it bid the rest of the (now broken) line farewell and fly away over the water, reveling in its new-found freedom. You're free now, little buddy. You and the money spent on you :(

Lol indeed, I hate the difference between fishing for bass and catching bass :p
I even bought a new minnow... incredible little lure, natural-looking, heavy, perfect motion. Expensive as hell, too. Rigged it up, cast in and.... watched as it bid the rest of the (now broken) line farewell and fly away over the water, reveling in its new-found freedom. You're free now, little buddy. You and the money spent on you :(

Oh my, that sucks.

Apparently clean chicken intestines work - bass go mad for it

Love fishing. When I caught alot of bass in Potch dam and boskop when I was a student there. I havent found a good bass fishing spot since i got to Pretoria.

That sounds like work. Do I need to take them out of the chickens first?
Or you could also ask your butcher for it if you're not up to cleaning it.

When I caught my bass, it was just rolled up compressed balls of fresh bread.

I knew an afrikaans dude that used vanilla in maize balls - he caught plenty fish.

Many years ago, when I still rode a bicycle, we caught some nice big mouth bass in the Vygeboom and Sonstraal dams. No idea what the fishing is like there nowadays.

Regards

Well, this won’t help, but there are lots of bass in the Mokolo river, Vaalwater area, Limpopo.
And I’m a bit late posting this, but anyway.....

im sorry to hear. we normally go to foxenburg.
http://www.foxenburg.co.za/

Back