Classic Wet Shaving

Clouds4Days

For the love of the cloud
LV

Awards
Hi everyone

So about 7 months back I started venturing into the Classic Wet shaving world as I felt I always got a better shave when I used to visit my barber than I did at home.

Besides getting a better shave the more i dived into this world i also discovered that there are much more pros besides a smoother shave from using a Double Edge/Safty razor, Shavetter/Single Edge and Straight Razor than using your normal cartridges.

*Safty Razor/Double Edge*
images-1.jpeg

*Shavette/Single Edge*
images-4.jpeg

*Straight Razor*
images-2.jpeg

Pros-
1.You get a smoother shave
2.Less negative impact to the environment (blades contain no plastic)
3.Cost much less to run than your cartridge razor.
4.Relaxes oneself and brings back a feeling of Nostalgia of how our grandfathers used to shave.
5.Irritates the skin far less than multi blade cartridges.
6.Much more fun than cartriges as one can collect various Razors, brushes, shaving soaps etc...

When I started diving into this world i always wondered how come more men and woman dont shave at home using these methods, and have since dived deeper and discovered it's mainly because Razor corporations hardly make any profit from these older methods but a ton from cartridges.

A pack of 10 Mach 3 blades cost around R450 that's R45 a blade that will last one between 1-3 months depending on how thick and how offten one shaves.

A pack of 5 Razor blades sells for between R7 - R14 that's R2.80 a blade that will last one roughly 5 shaves depending on same as above.

Which do you think Razor companys rather push the one that sells for R45 or the one that sells for R2.80 and we not even looking at their other more expensive offerings with 5 blades etc...

Using one of the bigger companys as a example Gillete focuses all their marketing on cartridge razors and non on their Double Edge Razors even though they still produce Double Edge razors for the market today.

But their is very little profit to be made so why advertise and market a product which brings in less revenue so they dont.

Now money aside , it is estimated that in America 2 Billion razors are thrown away each year , these cannot be recycled as there are plastic and and steel parts fused together.

On the other side of the spectrum with Wet shaving methods your Razor will last years and the blades are made from Stainless Steel only which can be recycled leaving no footprint to the earth.

Lastly the misconception that Wet shaving razors are "deadly" .
I can understand 20/30 years ago why someone would be scared to use such a razor at home as their is technique to these shaving methods.

But in todays time with YouTube and the Internet at our fingertips, learning the technique and correct way to Shave with a Wet Razor is super easy and simple one has no excuse to at least attempt Wet Shaving.

I also believe most Men growing up our Fathers or Grandfathers would scare one and tell us as children not to touch their shaving equipment as it was dangerous and this also created a negative mindset on us growing up.

My aim on this whole post is to try and inform everyone (the consumer) that there are better and cheaper alternatives then the Cartridges most are using and if I can at least get one person to give it a go I believe I have accomplished something.

If it is your first time and you want to give it a shot I would say start off on a Double Edge Safty Razor, they are more forgiving and the easiest to use.

My go to shop for supplies is a store based in Pretoria called Bundubeard/Bundubaard . The owner Jaco has helped me alot in my journey and is always a text away over WhatsApp to answer any questions I have.

Their customer service is amazing and care for the environment down to their packaging of supplies is exceptional.
They also have their own in house soaps which Jaco produces himself and a range of shaving Brushes he manufactures in house too.

And also importantly their prices are really really good, you can get a complete setup (they have packages for beginners) that cost only around R500 and will give you around a years worth of shaves.

https://www.bundubeard.co.za

If there are any questions I can help with please feel free to ask away.
I am by no means a expert but do have some knowledge I have attained over the last 7 months as I am also part of a SouthAfrican based shaving forum (Mastershave.co.za) .

Cheers

Last edited:
Here's a video of the unboxing I did on my first Single Edge/Shavette razor I recieved 7 months ago.

Today I received my new shavette a Feather Artist Club DX which is bit of a upgrade to my old shavette as my first shavette one was more of a tester to see if I enjoyed wet shaving.
Video will be incoming very soon.

20191230_121148.jpg

20191231_104005.jpg

Last edited:
I pretty much only use a single edge/ 'jackrazor'.
Gives the closest and most precise (shaping wise) shave for me. Just needs a good tube of gel and a nice soft brush.

Plus side is its a crap ton cheaper than cartridges.
Down side is there isn't room for error- the cuts can be pretty darn painful.

Hahaha Uncle Rob you cracked me up there. What Razor did you order Uncle?

Just a cheapie kit to see if I can have a shave without ending up in the casualty dept of a local hospital. If I do survive then I will order a fancy set-up! :)

I pretty much only use a single edge/ 'jackrazor'.
Gives the closest and most precise (shaping wise) shave for me. Just needs a good tube of gel and a nice soft brush.

Plus side is its a crap ton cheaper than cartridges.
Down side is there isn't room for error- the cuts can be pretty darn painful.

Touch wood I haven't had any cuts just small Nick's but I take my time always and respect the blade.

My first shave was nerve wrecking but once I got the first one out the way I wondered why I had never tried it sooner.

Will never go back to cartridges again.

Touch wood I haven't had any cuts just small Nick's but I take my time always and respect the blade.

My first shave was nerve wrecking but once I got the first one out the way I wondered why I had never tried it sooner.

Will never go back to cartridges again.

Have you watched the videos of the guys training with the razors - shaving all the foam off a balloon without popping it.

Just a cheapie kit to see if I can have a shave without ending up in the casualty dept of a local hospital. If I do survive then I will order a fancy set-up! :)

Fantastic stuff, I did the same and started small first.
Here you go uncle have a watch and please report back once you have had your first shave with your new kit to let us know how it went.

Have you watched the videos of the guys training with the razors - shaving all the foam off a balloon without popping it.

I have not @M.Adhir but I have heard about it. If I'm not mistaken that's how they practice in the middle east.

Uncle @Rob Fisher what you can also do is on your first shave is dont install a razor blade in the razor .

Get your face lathered up and and use the razor without the blade to wipe the lather off just so you can get a feel on how to hold the razor comfortable for you while attained the correct angle.

Super excited for you Uncle cant wait ti hear your feedback.:)

Uncle @Rob Fisher what you can also do is on your first shave is dont install a razor blade in the razor .

Get your face lathered up and and use the razor without the blade to wipe the lather off just so you can get a feel on how to hold the razor comfortable for you while attained the correct angle.

Super excited for you Uncle cant wait ti hear your feedback.:)

Thanks for the info... I like to live on the wild side and I started shaving with these dangerous devices... so I will open the first aid kit ready and go for it! Bazinga! :D

I only use a straight razor/ shavette, been using it since I started keeping a beard a few years ago. Super accurate.

I find you only get cut once, then you learn to pay more attention. I got cut on my neckline in the first few months.

My favourite way to shave by far. I dont pay too much attention to shaving soaps and creams, as I generally just use water after a shower - because I just do upper cheek and neckline. Playing around with the creams and brushes was fun for the first year though.

I'm a fan of Gillette blades for my razor, an ill fitting or poor quality blade will ruin your shave. Had some very flexible black ones a while back that were absolutely terrible to shave with.

I usually just buy a straight razor from my local barbers though, been through 3 so far but I use them until they break (usually the hinge)

Perhaps I should get myself a nicer set, I love the look of yours @Clouds4Days

Last edited:
And an alum stone is a fantastic aftershave! Especially for those with oily skin

Thanks for the link, I've been given this by a late Uncle, but never had blades for it at normal stores. Was lazy to look around.

Now I can clean it up.

20191231_121601.jpg

Shaved every day in the Army , so my rebellion is to grow a beard that gets trimmed 2 monthly. Dad taught me to shave [never buy Minora blades , always Gillette or Wilkenson and put the old blades in the holder under the dispenser]
images

lather up- Tabac or Old Spice shaving soap in glass ''cup''
images

,shave again before you go out at night still got his OLD shaving brush but the hairs are not ''bushy'' anymore.:)

Last edited:
Shaved every day in the Army , so my rebellion is to grow a beard that gets trimmed 2 monthly. Dad taught me to shave [never buy Minora blades , always Gillette or Wilkenson and put the old blades in the holder under the dispenser]
images

lather up- Tabac or Old Spice shaving soap in glass ''cup''
images

,shave again before you go out at night still got his OLD shaving brush but the hairs are not ''bushy'' anymore.:)

I know this kit. My Dad and Grandpa had it. I learnt to shave with it before I was growing facial hairs.
You just gave me good memories bro.

I have been shaving with a safety razor kit most of my life. I did the cartridge thing but it didn't work out for me.
Also tried the shavette ,but went back to safety razor

I know this kit. My Dad and Grandpa had it. I learnt to shave with it before I was growing facial hairs.
You just gave me good memories bro.

I have been shaving with a safety razor kit most of my life. I did the cartridge thing but it didn't work out for me.
Also tried the shavette ,but went back to safety razor

Been using my shavette for 7 months and today well yesterday (Happy New Year brother) shaved for the first time with a safty razor and got a really nice shave from it.

I purchased a cheapie for R100 on bundubeard called the DE1 to make some YT videos and try and convert some people, and i was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the razor and the shave it gave.

Screenshot_20200101-023157_Opera.jpg

Last edited:
Happy new year guys. So what blades do you use. I noted the Gillette,Minora blades start rusting soon after use and is not as sharp. Lion blades are blunt as well.
There's that Supermax that you find at most supermarkets and corner stores that I find sharper but recently it also rusts after one shave. So basically this is a use once and toss thing.
I got Wilkinson sword somewhere and I bought two to try.
Lol. For some reason I can't find it and I can't remember where I bought it.
Now as @Clouds4Days stated the market has migrated to the cartridge shaver. I'm thinking they either don't make quality blades anymore or they make safety blades for one or two off uses.

Happy new year guys. So what blades do you use. I noted the Gillette,Minora blades start rusting soon after use and is not as sharp. Lion blades are blunt as well.
There's that Supermax that you find at most supermarkets and corner stores that I find sharper but recently it also rusts after one shave. So basically this is a use once and toss thing.
I got Wilkinson sword somewhere and I bought two to try.
Lol. For some reason I can't find it and I can't remember where I bought it.
Now as @Clouds4Days stated the market has migrated to the cartridge shaver. I'm thinking they either don't make quality blades anymore or they make safety blades for one or two off uses.

I have only used 2 diffrent type of blades (both bought from bundubeard) the Bic and Rockwell blades.
Non of them rusted and I must have gotten at least 5-6 shaves from each blade.
Here are links to the blades I've been using and I've added a screenshot of the material used .

*Bic Chrome Platinum*
Price on pack of 5 blades R14
https://www.bundubeard.co.za/collections/razor-blades/products/bic-blades-for-safety-razor
20200101_033432.jpg

*Rockwell Razors*
Price on pack of 5 blades R17.00
https://www.bundubeard.co.za/collections/razor-blades/products/rockwell-blades-for-safety-razor
20200101_033452.jpg

If the blades you are using are rusting they must be off poor quality stainless steel.
Maybe give the above a try.

Back