Cleaning em coils

DougP

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
Here's a tip for coil cleaning..

Nichrome and SS coils build up a layer of chromium on their outer surface..
No amount of water dipping, pulse dry burning or scrubbing will clean that layer off.
Ever noticed how over a period of time your coils loose their shine and go almost a charcoal grey matt color with muted flavor.

The only solution to remedy this is to use an acidic base cleaner..

1. Get some apple cyder vinegar (available from your local supermarket)
2. Pour some into a little holder, I find the measuring cup from a Vicks MediNight bottle works like a charm..
3. Glow heat coil and dip glowing hot coil into the apple cyder.
4. Repeat this heat and dip process until coil is clean.(the dirtier the coil the more dips it takes, by the 4th time it should be sorted)
You will be surprised to see how much gunk is floating in the cyder after this..
No need for scrubbing your coil.
5. Lastly, rinse coil under water and then pulse coil at a very low wattage ( with just enough heat to dry coil, don't glow red hot)

Note:
1. Do not use any metal objects when working with your coils. The metal will scratch the surface of the wire and expidite the degregation, and build up of chromium, on the coil.
Only use ceramic tweezers to pinch and strum coils for hotspots.

2. Scrubbing the coil with wire brushes to clean is also a absolute no go.
There is no need do this when using the apple cyder.

3. You can use apple cyder, grape and even plain vinegar..
The reason I use apple cyder is because if you don't rinse coil properly you will get a slight vinegar taste for those first couple of pulls until it flushes out.
The apple cyder in this case at least has the least of that bitter vinegar taste. Note this will only happen if you haven't rinsed coil properly

4. This will work for all coil types NiChrome, SS and Kanthal.

Volla, you will be surprised at the results, coils will last much longer and period between cleaning coils will also be extended.

Last edited:
It works.. . I tried. Thanks again @DougP
Nice step by step guidence for coil resurrection..... Zombi Coils... A new lease on life.....

hmm, this didn't really work for me, but then again the coil was 4 months on duty already and I used white spirit vinegar, not the apple cider

will of course try this again

hmm, this didn't really work for me, but then again the coil was 4 months on duty already and I used white spirit vinegar, not the apple cider

will of course try this again

The key is the chemical reaction of acetic acid, (of which cheap vinegar / spirit vinegar generally has more acetic acid present than does say a cider vinegar), at boiling temperature, at which point the metal oxides become soluble salts or acetates and go into solution, leaving the bare metal(s) behind.

Admittedly there is a pro in using either pure acetic acid or a cider based one with respect to residual taste, (which can be resolved easily enough by repeating the boiling exercise with plain water post gunk removal).

The key is the chemical reaction of acetic acid, (of which cheap vinegar / spirit vinegar generally has more acetic acid present than does say a cider vinegar), at boiling temperature, at which point the metal oxides become soluble salts or acetates and go into solution, leaving the bare metal(s) behind.

Admittedly there is a pro in using either pure acetic acid or a cider based one with respect to residual taste, (which can be resolved easily enough by repeating the boiling exercise with plain water post gunk removal).

you seem like a professor or of something !

thanks for the explanation

Back