Cleaning juice off your mod and ... DIY Sanitizer

Intuthu Kagesi

Proficitis cum eo
LV

Awards
I'm sure everyone here has re-wicked in the past only to find their hands, (and mod), covered in juice shortly after sitting down to enjoy vaping their masterpiece ... Now this isn't normally something one would brag about, so I'm not expecting a lot of likes on this post, (there are also no pics here @Resistance, for deniability sake ;))

Go out and buy yourselves a litre of pure ethanol, (easy enough to obtain in these times), and;
When it happens again, strip down your mod, remove the batteries, and first rinse it under warm running water, not the batteries ... keep them aside, but everything else!

"Are you crazy?" you're saying! ... Yes I probably am, however that's a topic for another thread.

Well both VG and PG are miscible and hygroscopic, meaning they have an affinity with water, so replacing the juice with water is a fairly easy exercise under warm running water ...

Now for part two ...

Pat dry / shake off as much of the water from the above step as you can, and then immerse the pieces of mod in your pure unadulterated ethanol, giving it a bit of a jiggle in a container to get the alcohol into all the little spaces, (I would suggest the erm ... "loan" of one of your wife's smallish Tupperware containers for this step), I would also suggest at least two + of these "alcohol rinses".

So alcohol is also hygroscopic, and will bond with any remaining water, however
ethanol is volatile, (ie. has a high vapour pressure at room temperature), and will evaporate far more quickly than water on it's own, leaving behind a nice clean, (and dry), mod.

You could improve the evaporation time by placing your disassembled mod in a warm spot with moving air, and when done ... reassemble and enjoy.

Now to the alcohol you have left over from the cleaning soaking exercise above;
It now has a small quantity of water, (and flavour/fragrance) in it, and by adding a small quantity, (10 - 15% by volume), of Aloe Vera, (obtainable from your local friendly Pharmacy or Health Shop ... You would have made some "fragranced hand cleaner"

You may want to keep this sanitizer away from children, and for your own 'consumption' if you have Nicotine in your juice, however it could well become a Nic supplementation method unto itself.

As an additional tip ... some of the hand sanitizers out there don't use denatured alcohol, (ie. they haven't had the pong removed from the alcohol component, and tend to hone quite badly!) ... You can mask this horrid pong by popping in a couple of drops of your favourite vape flavour, (or in the absence of vape flavours, a couple of drops of your wife's vanilla essence).

As an additional tip ... some of the hand sanitizers out there don't use denatured alcohol, (ie. they haven't had the pong removed from the alcohol component, and tend to hone quite badly!) ... You can mask this horrid pong by popping in a couple of drops of your favourite vape flavour, (or in the absence of vape flavours, a couple of drops of your wife's vanilla essence).
As long as you don't confuse it with your actual juice and drip it into your tank you shall be fine!

I'm sure everyone here has re-wicked in the past only to find their hands, (and mod), covered in juice shortly after sitting down to enjoy vaping their masterpiece ... Now this isn't normally something one would brag about, so I'm not expecting a lot of likes on this post, (there are also no pics here @Resistance, for deniability sake ;))

Go out and buy yourselves a litre of pure ethanol, (easy enough to obtain in these times), and;
When it happens again, strip down your mod, remove the batteries, and first rinse it under warm running water, not the batteries ... keep them aside, but everything else!

"Are you crazy?" you're saying! ... Yes I probably am, however that's a topic for another thread.

Well both VG and PG are miscible and hygroscopic, meaning they have an affinity with water, so replacing the juice with water is a fairly easy exercise under warm running water ...

Now for part two ...

Pat dry / shake off as much of the water from the above step as you can, and then immerse the pieces of mod in your pure unadulterated ethanol, giving it a bit of a jiggle in a container to get the alcohol into all the little spaces, (I would suggest the erm ... "loan" of one of your wife's smallish Tupperware containers for this step), I would also suggest at least two + of these "alcohol rinses".

So alcohol is also hygroscopic, and will bond with any remaining water, however
ethanol is volatile, (ie. has a high vapour pressure at room temperature), and will evaporate far more quickly than water on it's own, leaving behind a nice clean, (and dry), mod.

You could improve the evaporation time by placing your disassembled mod in a warm spot with moving air, and when done ... reassemble and enjoy.

Now to the alcohol you have left over from the cleaning soaking exercise above;
It now has a small quantity of water, (and flavour/fragrance) in it, and by adding a small quantity, (10 - 15% by volume), of Aloe Vera, (obtainable from your local friendly Pharmacy or Health Shop ... You would have made some "fragranced hand cleaner"

You may want to keep this sanitizer away from children, and for your own 'consumption' if you have Nicotine in your juice, however it could well become a Nic supplementation method unto itself.

Nice one Boet.
Since the popularity of hand sanitizer. I use the ethanol based one. Not the slimy, yukki one to wipe the outside of my mods especially when I messed e-liquid. I haven't tried the method your using ,but I noticed the residue of ejuice is completely gone after doing this.

erm, strip down your mod and rinse under water ?

erm, strip down your mod and rinse under water ?
He has a point. Water don't remove all the stickyness sometimes. So if I had a really bad spill or something then I'll either do his method,Or spray with sanitizer and then rinse. Or visa versa

He has a point. Water don't remove all the stickyness sometimes. So if I had a really bad spill or something then I'll either do his method,Or spray with sanitizer and then rinse. Or visa versa
And as I replied I over squonked. Bilkskottel!

some ou's gonna f up their mods solid

If you're nervous about using the warm water step ... move straight on to pure alcohol, only that you're going to be using a lot more of an expensive resource ... Remembering that the nature of cleaning is a process of dilution of what isn't wanted, to a level of acceptability

If you're nervous about using the warm water step ... move straight on to pure alcohol, only that you're going to be using a lot more of an expensive resource ... Remembering that the nature of cleaning is a process of dilution of what isn't wanted, to a level of acceptability

I'm not nervous, my mechs can handle this no issue, but what about regulated mods ?

screens, boards, chips ?

I use methylated spirits for boards.
The sanitiser for outside of mods. I'm afraid the mod will stain with the purple dye.

I found Isopropyl and Ethanol a bit better than Methylated, (certainly for flux removal), albeit that they'll all dilute ejuice as we know it.
First prize would be to use "dry cleaning fluid", (Arklone P or K) or even raw Carbon Tetrachloride, however some serious precautions need to be taken using them, as it is absorbed into your skin ... these products are used on most electronic production lines prior final assembly.

I found Isopropyl and Ethanol a bit better than Methylated, (certainly for flux removal), albeit that they'll all dilute ejuice as we know it.
First prize would be to use "dry cleaning fluid", (Arklone P or K) or even raw Carbon Tetrachloride, however some serious precautions need to be taken using them, as it is absorbed into your skin ... these products are used on most electronic production lines prior final assembly.
I went looking for those solvents and when I found it, I said keep it. It's too pricey for me to buy for occasional use. Methylated spirits is in my budget any day of the week and it's multi purpose so I get more out of it.

I went looking for those solvents and when I found it, I said keep it. It's too pricey for me to buy for occasional use. Methylated spirits is in my budget any day of the week and it's multi purpose so I get more out of it.

+When I'm in a pinch I just borrow some sanitizer:facepalm:

On that note xylene is also feasable.

Indeed it is ... however whilst Xylene is to the better part man made, it is still classed as a petroleum (by)product or Aromatic Hydrocarbon, and care must be taken using it on PCB's, as it can dissolve some coatings and glues, certainly older LCD screens and electrolytic capacitor rubber seals would be a risk. I would put it into the same category as Lacquer Thinners, Benzine and even Ethyl Alcohol, (Ether).

These inexpensive alcohol swabs are available from most Pharmacies, and are great for cleaning minor juice spills, mods and cell phones
IMG_20201221_233905.jpg

Indeed it is ... however whilst Xylene is to the better part man made, it is still classed as a petroleum (by)product or Aromatic Hydrocarbon, and care must be taken using it on PCB's, as it can dissolve some coatings and glues, certainly older LCD screens and electrolytic capacitor rubber seals would be a risk. I would put it into the same category as Lacquer Thinners, Benzine and even Ethyl Alcohol, (Ether).
Agreed. It thins out epoxies and resins too. I like the evaporation rate. It dries super fast.

Fair enough, but then what are you going to drink?

I'll just get my coat...

Back