Cleaning your gear...

Angelskeeper

Vape Enthusiast
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Today my OCD was triggered to the point I could feel myself twitching..
I was chatting to a client who also happens to vape, and as most conversations go (when they turn to vaping), it went to the usual I'll show you mine if you show me yours. (I'm talking about vape gear people, so get your minds out the gutter.)
When he held up his mod for me to see, I honestly couldn't even tell you what mod it was, as my eyes never left the rta.
I can't even tell you what rta it was...
What kicked my OCD into high gear, was how manky this mans rta was...
The driptip looked as if a baby with a mouthful of food and gobbed on it, it was serious shade of brown on the inside, the chimney in the rta had juice staining, you could see the muck buildup on the orings... and this man happily vaped away on it...
I had to end the conversation quickly and walk away, cos heaven only knows what my OCD might have made me do...

How do people allow their gear to get like that?

Me personally, I give my gear a hot water rinse before rewicking, re-coiling or juice change,
Once a week all the gear I'm using in my rotation will get a hot water/bicarb bath or a milton bath, and once a month they get thrown in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I know most of you on this forum are OCD about cleaning your gear as well, I'm interested in knowing how often you clean your gear and how you clean your gear??

I want to see how many other OCD people there are, and how you react if you see someones gear that is manky..?

I use a tank for 2 to 3 days in a row then let it sit in the queue waiting for the next major pit stop which happens usually once a month with a proper sunlight and warm water bath… I usually leave them overnight in that solution then I rinse everything the following day and let dry on a kitchen towel. I’m too lazy to wash, dry and wick the same day.

I am very OCD with my vape gear! I have a fresh damp cloth on my desk and any spot of dirt or juice spill get the wet cloth! And I change wicks and clean coils every second day and sometimes every day!

For me it's at least once a week for my tanks a good sunlight soak then my mini bottle brush comes out for a nice all round scrub but in general I keep my things clean all the time can't handle dirty equipment

Weekly pitstop, much the same as @Grand Guru and @Ryan69 ... soak, rinse, scrub, rinse, hot water and out on a microfiber cloth to dry (a final hot water rinse and packing out immediately decreases the dry-time).

Have a cloth on my desk permanently, can't stand juice over the outside of the tanks, mods, hands, desk, batteries, bottles. If a tank leaks for some or other unexplainable reason it goes straight into the pitstop tub.

Mods gets cleaned once a month with a bit of surgical spirits and wood gets polished once a month too. I don't get enough time for the more serious cosmetics, but now and again I will run a mod/tank through for some more serious polishing too to get it nice and shiny and removing scratches. The desk itself gets a monthly overall clean as well.

Wet Wipes permanently on the table - All the Blotto's get a hot water bath and cleaned before the next rotation , there is normally 2 -4 ready for use with 1 or 2 waiting for the next bath , RDA'S goes into the ultrasonic cleaner .

Every rewicking or coil change.

These things are going into my mouth...

I rewick once and sometimes twice a week. Each time tank is stripped and soaked in warm water and sunlight. Coils are scrubbed with a toothbrush and everything is thoroughly rinsed and dried with a paper towel. I have a box of tissues on my desk to wipe any sweating on my mod. I am very OCD with my stuff and also wash out new tanks and RDAs.

If I buy something from someone it is soaked for longer and mods are wiped with alcohol wipes, stabwood mods also have coconut oil applied and cleaned.

I used to go through heaps of bog roll but I have found that a fresh wet microfibre cloth each day works a lot better and cleans the outside of tanks and mods better! If I see any Baby Choo hair, fingerprints, condensation, leaks or marks of any kind that the wet cloth does the job.

Tanks get washed with sunlight and hot water every other day and air-dried on the Dvarw Stands for a few days! Coils are quenched under running hot water to clean them and then into the washing cycle.
Wet Cloth.JPG

Bluurgghh, I a not OCD but it is ingrained in me to keep things clean. Like @Rob Fisher I keep cloths handy, even one in my pocket when I go out, for keeping my gear clean. All my tanks and drip tips are washed and dried when re-wicking and my mechs are kept clean and free from gunk. Never stored with batteries in. Tanks not in use are cleaned and stored in a drawer to keep the dust off.

The thought of that manky tank turns my stomach.

I only clean thoroughly and re-wick when the flavour goes off or I want to change flavours when a bottle of juice is finished. I am at home most of the time so can do it any time and have alternate devices to vape while re-wicking. If for some reason it looked dirty though I definitely would give it a clean. I have toilet paper and a spout bottle with alcohol on hand always for cleaning my glasses, cell phone and vape gear. (PS. I have accidently grabbed the Propanol alcohol and put a drop or two in my tank before realising I grabbed the wrong bottle. Goodness its foul and definitely warrants a re-wick.) Rule of Thumb, flavour goes of when you have 10ml of a juice left.

I always keep these near my mods and in my bag, to wipe any spills when I'm refilling. They can be purchased from any pharmacy, Clicks, DisChem or Takealot.

Alcohol pads.jpg

Every night I wipe off the drip-tips with an alcohol pad.

When I change coils, which is every 5 - 7 days, all the washable parts soak in warm water for a while. Then I wipe them down with an alcohol pad and wrap an alcohol pad around an earbud to clean the chimney.

I always keep these near my mods and in my bag, to wipe any spills when I'm refilling. They can be purchased from any pharmacy, Clicks, DisChem or Takealot.

View attachment 234345

Every night I wipe off the drip-tips with an alcohol pad.

When I change coils, which is every 5 - 7 days, all the washable parts soak in warm water for a while. Then I wipe them down with an alcohol pad and wrap an alcohol pad around an earbud to clean the chimney.
You can’t use those in the chimney, it clearly says “external use only” on the packet!!! :-D:-D

Back