Coronavirus delays mail to and from China - SAPO

I doubt that we will notice any great difference in delivery time by SA Customs and SAPO. They already have a huge backlog. Maybe this situation will enable them to at least clear the current backlog.

Although this article says you can't get the virus from packages coming from China, their wording suggests they are not really sure.

In an era of online shopping and global shipping, some NPR listeners have written to us with this question: Am I at risk of catching the new coronavirus from a package I receive from China?

Almost certainly no, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures," the CDC concludes in its Q&A.

"Almost" means you are not completely sure and "likely very low risk" means there is some risk. Just saying...

Not trying to scare anyone, but...

Although this article says you can't get the virus from packages coming from China, their wording suggests they are not really sure.

In an era of online shopping and global shipping, some NPR listeners have written to us with this question: Am I at risk of catching the new coronavirus from a package I receive from China?

Almost certainly no, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures," the CDC concludes in its Q&A.

"Almost" means you are not completely sure and "likely very low risk" means there is some risk. Just saying...

Not trying to scare anyone, but...

The coronavirus, like any other virus, is extremely sensitive to temperature changes as well as other factors like humidity. At most it would survive 10 minutes outside the host. So packages will be safe if it comes by plane. By boat the coronavirus will be a distant memory by the time it gets here.

We need to be very carefull what we read in the media. We saw last year with the vaping drama in the USA how they blow a story out of proportion just for the sake of clickbait.

Some news agencies are saying that over 200 000 people are infected. That is far from the actual number. But people read it and spread it because it sounds like a story from the movies.

I’m not trying to spread fear amongst the fellow forumites but this virus is definitely spreading very quickly. Suffice to say that 18 countries have already declared at least 1 confirmed case of infection. Add to that the fact that we’re still not sure when a infected person becomes contagious and incubation period ranging between 2 and to 14 days. We have strong reasons to worry especially if the infection spreads to African countries with their crippled health systems, We will witness an unprecedented pandemic In no time.
This being said, there are currently some promising research studies where Tamiflu associated to a second generation drug used in the treatment of AIDS is giving some positive results...

Ordered a package after the outbreak from China and it's already here. Seems to have had the opposite effect on SAPO. Fast turn around times

I’m not trying to spread fear amongst the fellow forumites but this virus is definitely spreading very quickly. Suffice to say that 18 countries have already declared at least 1 confirmed case of infection. Add to that the fact that we’re still not sure when a infected person becomes contagious and incubation period ranging between 2 and to 14 days. We have strong reasons to worry especially if the infection spreads to African countries with their crippled health systems, We will witness an unprecedented pandemic In no time.
This being said, there are currently some promising research studies where Tamiflu associated to a second generation drug used in the treatment of AIDS is giving some positive results...
The virus is already in Botswana and Namibia. 2 South Africans living in Wudhan are infected and in quarantine amongst the rest.

I still find it hard to believe this virus hasn't reached Africa yet. or South America. If the news agencies are to believed at least.

I still find it hard to believe this virus hasn't reached Africa yet. or South America. If the news agencies are to believed at least.
As far as I I know there are No confirmed cases yet but we're still in the very early stages of the epidemic.

People forget we survived polony! What's a small bug from China going to do to us?

I think it's actually capable of surviving outside of the host for 2-4 days. So opt for snail mail :p

The coronavirus, like any other virus, is extremely sensitive to temperature changes as well as other factors like humidity. At most it would survive 10 minutes outside the host. So packages will be safe if it comes by plane. By boat the coronavirus will be a distant memory by the time it gets here.
Totally agree, those words like Almost etc is standard covering own ass but pretty clear packages are safe problem is planes don't fly themselves so mail grounded :yawn:

I think it's actually capable of surviving outside of the host for 2-4 days. So opt for snail mail :p
No chance it takes direst contact, so it was bat to a dog then a dog to human and then human to human. No cases unless people have been in contact with others with it. If these viruses survived that long without
People forget we survived polony! What's a small bug from China going to do to us?
Agree, The last Bird flew a decade ago was supposed to kill off many people it had the UK government spending billions in a panic trying to buy up vaccines yet all that happened in the UK was a few people got a cold.

My god-daughter was held up at Heathrow airport just because she had a temperature. Lucky it was sorted out quickly and they could make the flight.

So reviving this thread. 1st time ive ordered something from China and need advice.
I have a warranty claim from China on its way to me. But if i have a look at the tracking number supplied on the 17track site, the source is Netherlands, not SA.
Also how long will delivery take via China Post to SA

Last edited:
It varies a lot from 3 weeks to several months. My last order took about 6 months to be delivered to my pot office and I won a pod kit in a competition some time last year that I only received last week. I actually stopped ordering from China since the beginning of the pandemic

It varies a lot from 3 weeks to several months. My last order took about 6 months to be delivered to my pot office and I won a pod kit in a competition some time last year that I only received last week. I actually stopped ordering from China since the beginning of the pandemic
Careful you don't catch the coof from the postage stamps :wasntme: china is so full of kak

Back