Deck insulator

Morix

MecHead
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Hi peeps...

Just a quick concern, im running a tube mech and soaked the rda ( copper goon, with the coils) in some brown vinegar diluted with a little water.

Question of concern : The insulator around the positive post, will this get brittle due to the vinegar and eventually start falling apart? = dead short.

It did a good job in removing the gunk in the deck and aswell from the coils almost bringing back the original color of the coils. Very pleased.

Are there any other mechanical users that have done or do this?

Other alternatives are welcomed if this method is high risk regarding the insulator.

Thanks.

They were a bit "dry" after the 5 to 10min soak but the dry im referring to is the same dry as when its a brand new rda. Removing the top cap usually has some resistance untill you get vapour or juice over it to lubricate. Same story here. I dont want the insulator or orings to start deteriorating.

Same question with the washing soap will it start eating at these materials?

They were a bit "dry" after the 5 to 10min soak but the dry im referring to is the same dry as when its a brand new rda. Removing the top cap usually has some resistance untill you get vapour or juice over it to lubricate. Same story here. I dont want the insulator or orings to start deteriorating.

Same question with the washing soap will it start eating at these materials?
Ive been soaking my tanks in warm water and sunlight overnight for ages. No damage to the o-rings or insulators noticed

Ive been soaking my tanks in warm water and sunlight overnight for ages. No damage to the o-rings or insulators noticed
Thanks, noted. Do you use mechs or regulated mods? Because if something was to go wrong your mod would let you know... Only way ill know is from 2nd° burns. But then again if there were to be an issue your mod would have let you know, and seeing that i dont deal in clones i should be good with this method you recommend. Thank you.

Thanks, noted. Do you use mechs or regulated mods? Because if something was to go wrong your mod would let you know... Only way ill know is from 2nd° burns. But then again if there were to be an issue your mod would have let you know, and seeing that i dont deal in clones i should be good with this method you recommend. Thank you.
I use regulated mods most of the time. Always inspect your o-rings during the service and build on a regulated mod or a tab of sorts and you should always be good

I've never heard of either vinegar or Sunlight liquid degrading plastics. Vinegar is detrimental to rubber and low grade steel, even stainless steel.

I am not an expert with materials but I have always been led to believe Peek insulator was hardy stuff, must be to withstand such high temperatures and I have never personally heard of the insulator deteriorating with Acidic e-liquids so I think you would be fine! But only learnt through this thread Vinegar could damage O-rings! Like @Grand Guru I just use warm soapy water and leave to dry!

Did some searching, found this on-line:

Saeed Doroudiani

, PhD, P.Eng., Chemical Engineer, Materials/Polymer Scientist
Updated Oct 31, 2021 · Author has 1.9K answers and 4.1M answer views

Q: “Will vinegar dissolve plastic?”

What plastic?

Vinegar is a solution of usually 3% to 5% acetic acid in water, so, it consists of mainly water. It is produced in industry via synthetically from ethylene or through fermentation. It can dissolve only water-soluble polymers, such as poly (vinyl alcohol), hydrogels, and carboxy methyl cellulose (CMC), which none of them is a conventional plastic material. The conventional plastics (like, PE, PVC, and PS) are water-insoluble thermoplastic polymers, as a result vinegar do not dissolve them at ambient conditions. You can safely store vinegar in a container made of PE or PS for few years, no harm from vinegar—but natural aging and degradation performed by other agents can seriously damage and dysfunction plastic container.

Some additives are usually added to polymers to fabricate plastic products. These additives, such as fillers, stabilizers, colorants, plasticizers, and processing aids might be affected by vinegar. Vinegar may accelerate emigration of these additives to the surface of plastic and separated. This phenomenon cause early deterioration of performance of plastic, for example, becomes brittle and change in color.

Did some searching, found this on-line:

Saeed Doroudiani

, PhD, P.Eng., Chemical Engineer, Materials/Polymer Scientist
Updated Oct 31, 2021 · Author has 1.9K answers and 4.1M answer views

Q: “Will vinegar dissolve plastic?”

What plastic?

Vinegar is a solution of usually 3% to 5% acetic acid in water, so, it consists of mainly water. It is produced in industry via synthetically from ethylene or through fermentation. It can dissolve only water-soluble polymers, such as poly (vinyl alcohol), hydrogels, and carboxy methyl cellulose (CMC), which none of them is a conventional plastic material. The conventional plastics (like, PE, PVC, and PS) are water-insoluble thermoplastic polymers, as a result vinegar do not dissolve them at ambient conditions. You can safely store vinegar in a container made of PE or PS for few years, no harm from vinegar—but natural aging and degradation performed by other agents can seriously damage and dysfunction plastic container.

Some additives are usually added to polymers to fabricate plastic products. These additives, such as fillers, stabilizers, colorants, plasticizers, and processing aids might be affected by vinegar. Vinegar may accelerate emigration of these additives to the surface of plastic and separated. This phenomenon cause early deterioration of performance of plastic, for example, becomes brittle and change in color.
At the risk of sounding thick does that mean it does or doesn't? most of that went straight over my head!

What is PEEK material made of?

WHAT IS PEEK MATERIAL? PEEK material (polyetheretherketone) is a high-performance semi-crystalline engineering thermoplastic with outstanding harsh chemical resistance, very low moisture uptake, good fire performance, excellent mechanical strength across a broad temperature range, and good dimensional stability.

https://www.gtweed.com/materials/peek-vs-pek-vs-ptfe/

WHAT IS PEEK MATERIAL? PEEK material (polyetheretherketone) is a high-performance semi-crystalline engineering thermoplastic with outstanding harsh chemical resistance, very low moisture uptake, good fire performance, excellent mechanical strength across a broad temperature range, and good dimensional stability.

That answers the question brilliantly!:headbang:

Yay... Seems like vinegars are good to go

Hi peeps...

Just a quick concern, im running a tube mech and soaked the rda ( copper goon, with the coils) in some brown vinegar diluted with a little water.

Question of concern : The insulator around the positive post, will this get brittle due to the vinegar and eventually start falling apart? = dead short.

It did a good job in removing the gunk in the deck and aswell from the coils almost bringing back the original color of the coils. Very pleased.

Are there any other mechanical users that have done or do this?

Other alternatives are welcomed if this method is high risk regarding the insulator.

Thanks.

hi what do you use to check your builds ?

Yay... Seems like vinegars are good to go
Just lubricate after cleaning. O-rings will withstand the cleaning process but will start degrading eventually. Even without cleaning.
Beware of using lemon juice and vinegar on silicone o-rings. They will swell up and become bigger and distort. Then you'll have to wait till it regains its normal form and size, but it's never really the same after that.

Just lubricate after cleaning. O-rings will withstand the cleaning process but will start degrading eventually. Even without cleaning.
Beware of using lemon juice and vinegar on silicone o-rings. They will swell up and become bigger and distort. Then you'll have to wait till it regains its normal form and size, but it's never really the same after that.
I dont remove the o rings. The parts that do have them i put in dish soap water. Rest of the parts that are just copper i place in a 5050 water/vinegar mixture. 10 mins. Remove. Rinse. Dry. These o rings have been on here for more than 2 years. Still look saxy. ( spare rings in the goon bag). I lubricate with the vapour particles and juice from the inner cap.

I buy my coils from juicy joes. Mech lyfe. In store. They dry burn and clear Hotspots and install. But they always ohm out at 0.13/12.

I dont have a regulated mod or ohm reader. So i do that part in store.

ok so let's say you did your vinegar wash, do you just wick and carry on, without having checked readings ?

ok so let's say you did your vinegar wash, do you just wick and carry on, without having checked readings ?
Pretty much yea. I rinse them off 1st though. This vinegar thing is new to me. But have been cleaning the coils with a brush and water for as long as i can remember. When i install i check the legs for those tiny single wires that come loose. At the ends. Snip. Install. Adjust position. Final lock of the clam screws.

I check, then i check again... And then 1 more time that everything is in place no touching of the coil/ any small wire to the the deck. Put the cap on and look down the drip hole to see if the coils are away from the inner cap. If all checks. I FIREEEEEEEEEEE

Back