Diy Wire Zapper

johan

VIP
LV

Awards
For those DIY enthusiasts that want to build a simple NR-R Wire Welder / Zapper, here's a schematic and some info:

WZ-SCH.png

B.O.M (all components available from any electronic store):

R1 - 100 Ohm 5W Resistor
R2 - 1k Ohm 1/4W Resistor
R3 - 3k3 1/4W Resistor
C1 & C2 - 4700uF 50V Electrolytic Capacitor (if you use 48V, get 63V rated Capacitors
LED1 - Any standard 3mm or 5mm LED
Q1 - MCR106 or C106B Thyristor (see pic insert on schematic for pin-outs)
SW1 - Any SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) Switch
P1 & P2 - Input connection from any 24V or 48V DC PSU (power supply)
P3 & P4 - Output to wires to be welded (use Croc-clips with insulation sheath)

Use:

Place SW1 in CHARGE position until LED1 lights up bright
Connect NR & R wires each on a seperate Croc-clip (doesn't matter which one connects to P3 or P4)
Overlap NR wire with R wire about 1mm and let them physically touch each other
Flick SW1 over to ZAP
You will hear a Zap noise and even observe a spark - that's absolutely normal
Your NR-R wires should now be securely welded together
Repeat for the other side R-NR

Note:

You can increase the values of C1 & C2 if you want a "deeper" penetration of weld.
Any questions, let me know.

Awesome @johanct!!

Do you get a board of some sort that this can be easily built on?

No, but I can do a quick layout if you want to DIY pcb (apologies for slow response but my f%$# 4M Telkom line is worse than a dial-up for a couple of days now).

No, but I can do a quick layout if you want to DIY pcb (apologies for slow response but my f%$# 4M Telkom line is worse than a dial-up for a couple of days now).
That would be cool. I can get hold of a PCB etching kit

That would be cool. I can get hold of a PCB etching kit

I will do - you don't need pcb etching kit, just a plastic container (I will post a DIY pcb etching) as soon as my dsl line is fixed.

@thekeeperza , here's a screen shot of pcb layout (pcb size: 57 x 49mm) seen from component side. With such a simple single layer layout, its faster to just rout the copper cladding than to etch it. Let me know if you want a 1:1 scale pdf of tracks only.

WW-LO-1.png

The resistor and led is a nice way to allow for a slow drain if you do not use the charge. I did the same in my audio psu. Nasty effect fhen you short the cap output.

@thekeeperza refer attached (scale 1:1). Note: Double check C1 & C2 pin pitch and diameter, manufacturers use different sizes. In case yours differ from size on layout, let me know and I will change accordingly.

Attachments

• WW-LO2.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 22
@johanct wrt the power supply what should I be looking for? I have seen 12VDC and 24VDC ranging from 0.3A to 8A.
So in essence, confused I am.

Don't need anything bigger than 5W - go for 24Vmin up to 48Vmax - if you don't come right give shout.

Got some components today. Forgot the invoice at work so the cost is vague. I think about R250ish but I will confirm tomorrow. I must measure the caps to check if they will fit that PCB layout @johan.
I will try to get a PCB ready asap.
20140404_174814~01.jpg

It lets rapid coil fiends weld their own Resistance/Non-Resistance wire for coiling @shabbar

This is looking very exciting @thekeeperza. It's gonna be quite a technical project which looks really interesting. Just don't think etching PCB's is within my range of skills.

How big is the finished product going to be approximately?

Yeah this looks sick and I am very interested to see how the finished product looks @thekeeperza
Still don't really have a real need for NR/R wires just yet, but so interested in having a rig which zaps things

Could always use it on colleagues or the like - but you didn't hear that from me
We use to play catch with charged caps when I was in manufacturing and development. The programmers never learned their lesson. :D

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

On varsity I had a 5,6uF/400V cap on my desk shaped in the form of a wired donkey - usually charged up straight from the mains 220V socket. Everybody will ask what it is and I will explain its a donkey, but be careful it bites, don't touch. Off coarse everybody will touch it. Caused many a good laugh :D. According to my room mate (I wasn't there) a certain one-time only visitor literally wets his pants when the cap discharged in his hands.

Back