Doing A " Silver " - What Does This Mean?

Silver

Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi all

Several people, especially newcomers have asked what does it mean to do a "SILVER"?

Instead of explaining it each time, we can refer to this thread.

Doing a "Silver" means getting a nicotine overdose to the point that you start sweating and have to lie down in a horizontal position, on a couch or on a bed to recover.

From the start, let me say that this is not something to aim for. Nor is it something cool. This is a serious thing that one should try avoid. Hopefully my experience can help others.

Where does it come from and why is it called a "Silver"?

It is named after me because of something that happened to me at one of the initial JHB Vape Meets at Alibi.

VapeKing supplied me with my brand new Kayfun and Nemesis combo. I also was eager to coil my new IGO-L dripper for the first time. Thanks to @TylerD and @Tom, they expertly coiled and configured the devices for me, then asked me what juice they should load. I pulled out my VM Litchi 18mg.

I puffed away continuously on the Kayfun and only took breaks to drip and puff on the IGO-L. I was so amazed at the improvement in flavour (compared to my mini Protank 2) that I could not stop puffing. This was incredible. I was also trying to compare the vape on these two devices. I puffed virtually continuously for about 30 minutes.

Then I started feeling light headed. A sweat broke out on my forehead. I thought it was just from all the excitement. Then it got a bit much and the sweating increased. I was sweating inside my shirt. I went quiet and felt a bit removed from the situation and people around me. Then can you believe it, I started sweating on my legs, inside my chino pants. This was a first for me. I went to the bathroom (wasn't easy to walk) and splashed water all over myself a few times and wiped myself down. That wasn't helping. I was now quite worried. I returned to the table and couldnt sit up straight or even stand. It was so unpleasant that I had to find a couch to lie down on. I lay there for about 30 minutes and slowly I recovered back to normal.

What I had was a typical nicotine overdose. I think it was the volume in the short space of time that did it. Although I felt fine after I recovered, I was a bit weak for the rest of the day. And let me tell you that while I was suffering it was very unpleasant. I don't ever want to experience that again. Not fun at all.

Since then, whenever people have a nic overdose that makes them sweat and forces them to go lie down in a horizontal position, we refer to it as having done a SILVER. I see the term is now used more frequently and a bit more loosely.

Jokes aside, although we refer to this affectionately, this is not something to aim for. It's not "cool" to do a Silver. So especially to the newbies, when you start vaping at higher power on rebuildable kit, take it slow and to be safe, use lower nic strength juice. And if you do start feeling light headed, stop vaping immediately and drink water until it passes.

Hope that explains it.

Thanks for the explanation @Silver , now I too know the whole story, I've been picking it up over time and thought I knew but clearly missed a few points. I was under the impression that it had something to do with 36mg juice. Jeez man that sounds pretty hectic, a full on "silver" doesn't sound like something anyone should strive for. Turns out that this is not what I have experienced at all, and as soon as I feel that I've gone too far I stop, put down my vape and grab a big glass of water. I think the furthest I've gone is being lightly "silver plated" ;-)

Yea even though we make light of it, its quite serious.

Other symptoms include extreme light headedness, it feels like you are about to become unconscious (Bad if driving)
Loss of vision, due to the constriction of blood vessels and blood flow
And feelings of being near inches from death and completely helpless.

@Silver I can only imagine how it felt going through that at a meet of all places! Big up to you sir :)

Had that happen to me a few times, and never realized it was the vaping. When I did realize it was the vaping, it became easier to control. Now i just put the device down at the first signs of vertigo... But i think i should consider going for 6 mg.

Yea just drop your nic strength
Its the drippers really, they are much more efficient at delivering the dose of nic...
I drip all day and night long because its that hit I need ;D

Eish!

Like @BumbleBee said, never been completely silver before, but I actually do enjoy a touch of "silver plating".
Especially before bed.

But just a light coat of plating, nothing too serious.

Reminds me of the first time I smoked a lot of stinkies at a party, 2 decades ago...
Ahhh, sweet youth!

Seriously though kids, when the headrush kicks in, that's far enough!
Put it down and hydrate!

i got myself a good one earlier with my mech and a 0 .7ohm dual coil,12mg doesnt play in a dripper.
I find my throat closes up first,get a knot in my stomach and i get shaky,nauseous and lightheaded.
this was in maybe 5 minutes of chain vaping adjusting coil height and fixing wicks!
I honestly think a lot of the symptoms i once thought to be PG related are in fact nic strength related.
tastebox arrives soon,so we shall know once and for all as i have avoided 50/50 and above pg mixes entirely

Thanks for the explanation @Silver
Sounds quite hectic, i guess we can all have a laugh about it now that it worked out fine.

dude-how-much-did-you-smoke-yes-thumb.jpg

Yea even though we make light of it, its quite serious.

Other symptoms include extreme light headedness, it feels like you are about to become unconscious (Bad if driving)
Loss of vision, due to the constriction of blood vessels and blood flow
And feelings of being near inches from death and completely helpless.

@Silver I can only imagine how it felt going through that at a meet of all places! Big up to you sir :)

Thanks @MarkK
Indeed, it is a horrible feeling.
"completely helpless" and "it feels like you are about to become unconscious" pretty much sums it up.

Another bad thing was that it was the first time I had experienced it. So the fear of the unknown creeps in too.
Not pleasant at all.

Yup, going through it at the vape meet was really not cool - I thought I would be out for the whole day... thankfully I recovered enough to rejoin the fun - but I was scared of the Kayfun and the dripper for a while...

I never want to 'silver'!!!!

If you even suspect the nicotine is making you sick, stop using your ecig immediately. For a very mild nicotine sickness, put some sugar under your tongue and let it absorb. Pixie sticks work wonders, or have a soda or pop. Eat and stay hydrated. The sickness should pass quickly.

When the overdose is serious or life-threatening, you need to be a bit more extreme. Make sure airways are not blocked or obstructed, make sure the person suffering is able to breath. Perform first aid. Most lethal doses will kill someone within the first hour of poisoning, so the prognosis is good for anyone that makes it past the first 60 minutes. lol!

Leakage of an ecig can cause ingestion (through the skin or mouth) and serious issues. Be prepared for coma or seizures with artificial ventilation. If the victim recently ingested nicotine, have them vomit (if they are not doing so already). In an emergency room setting activated charcoal is often administered. Usually these are cases of where a child drank someones liquid left sitting out. (very bad)

Hectic @Silver, know how you feel. At varsity I bummed a few analogs off a friend. Unbeknowns to me, she smoked 18mg while I was a social smoker at most!

Needless to say - i did a silver about 30min into the party! Not. Good. At. All.

Hectic @Silver, know how you feel. At varsity I bummed a few analogs off a friend. Unbeknowns to me, she smoked 18mg while I was a social smoker at most!

Needless to say - i did a silver about 30min into the party! Not. Good. At. All.

I had a chuckle @SmokelessFire
Doing a Silver on an analog - that's a new dimension altogether ;-)
I haven't touched an analog in nearly 11 months - but I can imagine that a strong analog would now have a nasty effect on me.

Hi all

Several people, especially newcomers have asked what does it mean to do a "SILVER"?

Instead of explaining it each time, we can refer to this thread.

Doing a "Silver" means getting a nicotine overdose to the point that you start sweating and have to lie down in a horizontal position, on a couch or on a bed to recover.

From the start, let me say that this is not something to aim for. Nor is it something cool. This is a serious thing that one should try avoid. Hopefully my experience can help others.

Where does it come from and why is it called a "Silver"?

It is named after me because of something that happened to me at one of the initial JHB Vape Meets at Alibi.

VapeKing supplied me with my brand new Kayfun and Nemesis combo. I also was eager to coil my new IGO-L dripper for the first time. Thanks to @TylerD and @Tom, they expertly coiled and configured the devices for me, then asked me what juice they should load. I pulled out my VM Litchi 18mg.

I puffed away continuously on the Kayfun and only took breaks to drip and puff on the IGO-L. I was so amazed at the improvement in flavour (compared to my mini Protank 2) that I could not stop puffing. This was incredible. I was also trying to compare the vape on these two devices. I puffed virtually continuously for about 30 minutes.

Then I started feeling light headed. A sweat broke out on my forehead. I thought it was just from all the excitement. Then it got a bit much and the sweating increased. I was sweating inside my shirt. I went quiet and felt a bit removed from the situation and people around me. Then can you believe it, I started sweating on my legs, inside my chino pants. This was a first for me. I went to the bathroom (wasn't easy to walk) and splashed water all over myself a few times and wiped myself down. That wasn't helping. I was now quite worried. I returned to the table and couldnt sit up straight or even stand. It was so unpleasant that I had to find a couch to lie down on. I lay there for about 30 minutes and slowly I recovered back to normal.

What I had was a typical nicotine overdose. I think it was the volume in the short space of time that did it. Although I felt fine after I recovered, I was a bit weak for the rest of the day. And let me tell you that while I was suffering it was very unpleasant. I don't ever want to experience that again. Not fun at all.

Since then, whenever people have a nic overdose that makes them sweat and forces them to go lie down in a horizontal position, we refer to it as having done a SILVER. I see the term is now used more frequently and a bit more loosely.

Jokes aside, although we refer to this affectionately, this is not something to aim for. It's not "cool" to do a Silver. So especially to the newbies, when you start vaping at higher power on rebuildable kit, take it slow and to be safe, use lower nic strength juice. And if you do start feeling light headed, stop vaping immediately and drink water until it passes.

Hope that explains it.

Hectic one there @Silver
It's happened to me a few times, though not on the level that you had it.
On that note, I really with all juice makers would make a 3mg nic content juice.
I even diluted the 6mg juices I bought at the vape meet (except the Craft Vapour ones - they were perfect). Looks like I'll be on zero nic very soon (goal).

I'll never forget my 1st Silver

Was sitting at Vape Meet #3 and practicing for the cloud chasing comp. On 18mg juice! Very silly noob thing to do, but was busy testing all my lastminute.com coil builds.

Needless to say I think I drank about 1.5L of water in 3 minutes, and had @Chocolate Goddess fanning me with a pamphlet while my pupils dilated and I sweated it all out.

@HappyCamper @Gizmo @devdev @Rowan Francis and @Stroodlepuff were all laughing their arses off at me!

I still do it from time to time when I go on a tasting frenzy or am testing a new mod, but I've wised up a bit now and always stock some 0mg 100% VG for those times when the cloud chasing urge takes me!

My first silver came from the Twisp. Never knew the strength of an 18mg liquid. Luckily I was alone in my room, felt very dizzy and nauseous then had to sleep it of. Never again.

Thankfully i have never pulled a true silver!

Having found out about what it is fairly early into my vaping journey, i guess i knew to be careful as to not let it happen to me :D

Thankfully i have never pulled a true silver!

Having found out about what it is fairly early into my vaping journey, i guess i knew to be careful as to not let it happen to me :D
You have to do it properly at least once man!

Sent from the Dark Side of The Force

i reckon i get very close to pulling a Silver on a daily basis. i get to the light headed part and i stop for a while. but by then its too late. but at least the sweats hasnt started at that point lol.
im a chain vaper. so i just keep going until i feel i cant anymore

i reckon i get very close to pulling a Silver on a daily basis. i get to the light headed part and i stop for a while. but by then its too late. but at least the sweats hasnt started at that point lol.
im a chain vaper. so i just keep going until i feel i cant anymore
Have you considered upping your nic?

You have to do it properly at least once man!

Sent from the Dark Side of The Force

Maybe i'll pull one at the next vape meet :p If i had to do it at home my family would probably think im dying due to nicotine overdose! :giggle:

Back