Drop Dead

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
My impressions on the Drop Dead as requested by @Raindance and marked agree by @Room Fogger and @MrGSmokeFree.

Important considerations for me:
  1. An airy MTL vape.
  2. Squonker friendly, specifically on the Pulse 80W.
First order of business was to install the squonk pin. And the 510 adapter with my own drip tip.

Decided to coil the same as on the Chalice IV, which is my current go to atty for the Pulse 80W.
7 wraps of Kanthal Clapton wire (26AWG A1 Kanthal core, wrapped twice with 32AWG A1 Kanthal) on a 2.5mm mandrel. Different, but relatively easy to insert the coil. Not so easy to clip the tails. I bent the small leftover tails towards the atty wall to keep it neat. Resistance around 0.9 ohms.

t0oa9rd.jpg

rTO1OLA.jpg

rXyVNem.jpg

Urw3ooa.jpg

Wicked with Titanium Fiber Cotton, which I have been using lately and am much impressed with. Really easy cotton to work with. Strong, uniform equal length fibers and no cotton taste. Wick tails just touching the bottom of the atty. Squonk pin unobstructed.

iqWYggk.jpg

Installed on the Pulse 80W and been vaping this combo for the past 3 days.

xETHmDP.jpg

Leaving just two little air flow windows open on both sides (i.e. 4 windows in total), I get a satisfying airy MTL vape. One can close it down to a proper tight MTL vape as well. What is great about this atty is that one can twist the top cap to align your open air flow windows with the center of the coil(s).

The draw is relatively smooth. Flavour is good, almost as good as the 18mm, very small chamber Chalice IV. Throat hit is exceptional on my setup - more intense than the Chalice IV and the OL16.

With the coil and air flow windows high up above the juice well oversquonking is not a worry. However, with the squonk pin not flush with the bottom leaving a reservoir of juice, I find that as you tilt the atty to vape, some juice accumulates in the open air flow windows and in the bottom row of air flow windows - open or closed. Condensation could contribute too. This accumulated juice does not leak out of the windows, but if you touch that area you get juice on your fingers. Just on one occasion I saw 2 drops of juice below the windows, which I had to wipe. Do bear in mind that I have a 50/50 juice in there. This accumulation of juice in the windows also makes it impossible to see how many windows one has open - not that this should be much of a worry for most. I might shorten the bf pin to be flush with the floor of the atty as a possible solution to this problem in bf mode.

All in all a well constructed atty, providing good flavour and is bf friendly.

My impressions on the Drop Dead as requested by @Raindance and marked agree by @Room Fogger and @MrGSmokeFree.

Important considerations for me:
  1. An airy MTL vape.
  2. Squonker friendly, specifically on the Pulse 80W.
First order of business was to install the squonk pin. And the 510 adapter with my own drip tip.

Decided to coil the same as on the Chalice IV, which is my current go to atty for the Pulse 80W.
7 wraps of Kanthal Clapton wire (26AWG A1 Kanthal core, wrapped twice with 32AWG A1 Kanthal) on a 2.5mm mandrel. Different, but relatively easy to insert the coil. Not so easy to clip the tails. I bent the small leftover tails towards the atty wall to keep it neat. Resistance around 0.9 ohms.

t0oa9rd.jpg

rTO1OLA.jpg

rXyVNem.jpg

Urw3ooa.jpg

Wicked with Titanium Fiber Cotton, which I have been using lately and am much impressed with. Really easy cotton to work with. Strong, uniform equal length fibers and no cotton taste. Wick tails just touching the bottom of the atty. Squonk pin unobstructed.

iqWYggk.jpg

Installed on the Pulse 80W and been vaping this combo for the past 3 days.

xETHmDP.jpg

Leaving just two little air flow windows open on both sides (i.e. 4 windows in total), I get a satisfying airy MTL vape. One can close it down to a proper tight MTL vape as well. What is great about this atty is that one can twist the top cap to align your open air flow windows with the center of the coil(s).

The draw is relatively smooth. Flavour is good, almost as good as the 18mm, very small chamber Chalice IV. Throat hit is exceptional on my setup - more intense than the Chalice IV and the OL16.

With the coil and air flow windows high up above the juice well oversquonking is not a worry. However, with the squonk pin not flush with the bottom leaving a reservoir of juice, I find that as you tilt the atty to vape, some juice accumulates in the open air flow windows and in the bottom row of air flow windows - open or closed. Condensation could contribute too. This accumulated juice does not leak out of the windows, but if you touch that area you get juice on your fingers. Just on one occasion I saw 2 drops of juice below the windows, which I had to wipe. Do bear in mind that I have a 50/50 juice in there. This accumulation of juice in the windows also makes it impossible to see how many windows one has open - not that this should be much of a worry for most. I might shorten the bf pin to be flush with the floor of the atty as a possible solution to this problem in bf mode.

All in all a well constructed atty, providing good flavour and is bf friendly.
Awesome review @Andre :number_one:

Great writeup @Andre !
Thank you

Lovely high coil! Throat hit city!
hehe

Side note - I need to try this Titanium Fibre Cotton... thanks for the commentary on that.

+1 on the Titanium Fibre Cotton , seems I need to get a tin ....

Great writeup @Andre , going to try this on my Drop OG ..... or maybe the Recurve .... until the Berserker RDA arrives .....

did you perhaps try a dual coil build or any one have pics on the best placement for a dual coil build

Back