Economical tools.

Stew

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
I started building on a little tool kit today. All bought at Communica for what I thought were pretty good prices. See attched till slip with prices. The side cutters are not flush cut unfortunately and the flush cut ones were a fair amount more expensive.
The wood is to build two atty build stands. Does anyone have or know where I can get some 510 inserts to put in the wood?

Attachments

• 20200805_154406.jpg
    20200805_154406.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200805_154323.jpg
    20200805_154323.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200805_154211.jpg
    20200805_154211.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200805_154123.jpg
    20200805_154123.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200805_160509.jpg
    20200805_160509.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200805_153912.jpg
    20200805_153912.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 91
@Stew you dont need 510 inserts specifically. When i built my couch-station (sits over my leg without toppling), i used some extra length nuts from the local hardware store, just countersunk them into the wood and tightened properly (a bolt and 2 washers- bolt is slightly shorter than the length of the nut).

@Stew you dont need 510 inserts specifically. When i built my couch-station (sits over my leg without toppling), i used some extra length nuts from the local hardware store, just countersunk them into the wood and tightened properly (a bolt and 2 washers- bolt is slightly shorter than the length of the nut).
Thanks. Standard metric nuts in South Africa are a different pitch to the atty threads. Atty threads are .0.5 mm pitch. Please be careful you don't wreck your atty's.
510 literally means 10 threads at 0.5 mm per thread. The diameter is 7mm. If you were to create this thread yourself, it would use an M7 x 0.5 tap.
Coarse thread m7's have 1mm pitch and fine thread m7's have 0.75mm thread.
Even m7 x 0.5 pitch taps to cut your own threads are not available in SA.

Last edited:
I went for the Coilmaster kit which didn’t cost all that much more and is really well packaged. Anything of theirs I’ve bought has been extremely good value, especially their build mat. Coilmaster mat, 80cm x 30cm, R250. A gaming mouse mat, pretty much the same thing, 90cm x30cm... wait for it... R699.

Thanks. Standard metric nuts in South Africa are a different pitch to the atty threads. Atty threads are .0.5 mm pitch. Please be careful you don't wreck your atty's.
510 literally means 10 threads at 0.5 mm per thread. The diameter is 7mm. If you were to create this thread yourself, it would use an M7 x 0.5 tap.
Coarse thread m7's have 1mm pitch and fine thread m7's have 0.75mm thread.
Even m7 x 0.5 pitch taps to cut your own threads are not available in SA.
I got my tap and die set from @kimbo about 4 years ago, I stand to correction, but he had to import them, as you found out, not available locally.

I started building on a little tool kit today. All bought at Communica for what I thought were pretty good prices. See attched till slip with prices. The side cutters are not flush cut unfortunately and the flush cut ones were a fair amount more expensive.
The wood is to build two atty build stands. Does anyone have or know where I can get some 510 inserts to put in the wood?

Maybe Bearded Viking can give you a steer? I don’t know if he’s a member and he makes atty stands, so he may not be keen on doing so. Try the website.

I went for the Coilmaster kit which didn’t cost all that much more and is really well packaged. Anything of theirs I’ve bought has been extremely good value, especially their build mat. Coilmaster mat, 80cm x 30cm, R250. A gaming mouse mat, pretty much the same thing, 90cm x30cm... wait for it... R699.
Thanks, I also looked at them as well. I was worried about the quality of the folding scissors in a lot of them. Learning cotton needs a really sharp pair of scissors.
I am sure they are great kits though.

Maybe Bearded Viking can give you a steer? I don’t know if he’s a member and he makes atty stands, so he may not be keen on doing so. Try the website.
Thanks. Will definitely look them up and ask.

I got my tap and die set from @kimbo about 4 years ago, I stand to correction, but he had to import them, as you found out, not available locally.
Thanks very much. If I don't come right with a few inserts I will maybe have to buy a tap and will contact @kimbo

Thanks, I also looked at them as well. I was worried about the quality of the folding scissors in a lot of them. Learning cotton needs a really sharp pair of scissors.
I am sure they are great kits though.

The scissors are the only bit that’s really sub par. I should have mentioned that..

@Stew you can wait till a mod breaks and use the 510 or if you must have a 510 thread I can scratch in my box for you.

Thanks. @Dela Rey Steyn, definitely looks like a good idea. Pity they don't have stock at the moment but at least I have a name of an item to search for.

Last edited:
Thanks very much. If I don't come right with a few inserts I will maybe have to buy a tap and will contact @kimbo
Best option for awesome cheap scissors are in the nail section at Dischem, or clicks... if you know someone who can get you a pair of surgical scissors, you have struck gold.

Oh, and a super cheap, super nifty tool for tucking and positioning of cotton is a safety pin.

@Stew you can wait till a mod breaks and use the 510 or if you must have a 510 thread I can scratch in my box for you.
Thanks, LOL. I have just started and hope nothing breaks for a long time.
If you find something that would be magic.

Best option for awesome cheap scissors are in the nail section at Dischem, or clicks... if you know someone who can get you a pair of surgical scissors, you have struck gold.

The scissors that come with Wahl hair clipper kits are good too. People don’t normally use them, so if you know someone with clippers...

Thanks very much. There used to be a little medical supply shop just around the corner from me, sadly they have closed. Will try and find one close by again.

Back