Expiry of hand made coils

Does hand made coils have an expiry date on them?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

antonherbst

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
This might be very controversial to post but i think it would be an interesting topic to discuss. Please no trolling or hate posts.

I have been an avid vaper for the last 6-7 years and have lately been picking up that “old” coils used in my mech are “running” very dull very quickly compared to coils made fresh from newer batches of wire.

Not sure if this makes sense.

But i think coils should have a date made or age of wire on them to make sure as buyers we get the freshest pair and not old stock that have been sitting on a shelf gathering dust to use in our mods.

I have had coils made for me fresh and also purchased coils that have gathered dust.

I am of the opinion that newer(tight tension) coils last longer than old(loose tension) coils based on the taste experience i have had over the last couple of months.

Lets see what the forum has to say?

Last edited:
I put no but am between a no (from my own experience) and maybe because I guess if coils or wire are left in conditions where the metal could degrade then I would imagine that would have a big impact. I can't say I have wire, handmade or pre-wound coils from back when I first started vaping but I certainly have all 3 from over 5 years ago, brand new and plenty between and notice no difference whether I use brand new or a coil or wire that I have had over 5 years!

If stored in a sealed container I would so no, as for the tension you brought, that makes sense because it will lose tension over time as it gets hot and cold during day night cycles and even seasons if you consider it might stand for years.

Dedicated silica gel and in a sealed container!

This might be very controversial to post but i think it would be an interesting topic to discuss. Please no trolling or hate posts.

I have been an avid vaper for the last 6-7 years and have lately been picking up that “old” coils used in my mech are “running” very dull very quickly compared to coils made fresh from newer batches of wire.

But i think coils should have a date made or age of wire on them to make sure as buyers we get the freshest pair and not old stock that have been sitting on a shelf gathering dust to use in our mods.

I have had coils made for me fresh and also purchased coils that have gathered dust.

I am of the opinion that newer(tight tension) coils last longer than old(loose tension) coils based on the taste experience i have had over the last couple of months.

Anton, I use these coils in my rda's for mech mods. No problems and they last very long. Give them a go!

Attachments

• 20221111_203037.jpg
    20221111_203037.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 18
Anton, I use these coils in my rda's for mech mods. No problems and they last very long. Give them a go!
Hi Paul I purchase many of my vape items at this store. Great service

Have a look at getting a set of Shadow Coils. They have the Omega F3 Baby Aliens that run at 0.25 (8 wrap with a 2.5 ID) on a dual build. Great on flavour, amazing crackle and the best life span I've gotten on a set of coils. I know they're available at VapeRite and Vape Queen.

In theory loosely wound coils would oxidise quicker than tightly wound ones, however in an ideal world of coils you would want an oxide insulation layer between strands and wraps, (irrespective of the materials of said coils). The fact that you strum coils whilst glowing is to allow that very insulative oxide layer to form, so my knee jerk response would be a no on oxide. Then to the tensile strength and tightness of the wraps ... unless they are exposed to temperatures approaching what they are exposed to installed and glowing, the answer once again is a no, leaving environment as a wildcard, to which high oxygen and or high humidity and or high salts environments would certainly affect and effect both previously mentioned use cases, especially so with (very) elevated temperatures, however as we are talking about sealed containers for storage, I would say unlikely ... there are certainly going to be some anecdotal disagreements with the above to which I'd suggest looking at the oxidation properties of the metals in question to confirm the aforementioned.

Some more food for thought on coils ...
One of the more common methods of purifying metals is heat supplemented oxidation where the metal is heated up and the impurities burnt off / out , so in theory;
Should a low grade of wire be used to make coils, the imbedded impurities would be burnt out, leaving behind a porous substrate, with a resultant proportional change in resistance, however as the porosity equates to greater surface area, a relatively poor grade of wire could well result in 'better' coils :wondering:, and I'd be interested to hear if any vapers have experienced this using "cheap coils".

Back