Exploring Coil Building

NOOB

Dedicated Vaper
LV

Awards
Good evening friends.

Up until now I have been using Wotofo N80 wire spools (dual core and tri core fused claptons) and just wrapping my coils from that. I would like to explore the option of making my own coils from scratch as I find it very interesting and I think it could be quite fun. However, at this point in time I am not sure if I would pursue this full-time as I am not sure what the pro's/con's are of making your own coils. As such I do not want to pay and arm and a leg for the material, but would rather invest a little more when I am more experienced and if the bug bites.
My questions are:
1. Which gauge wire would you recommend to make a dual or tri core fused clapton for instance (not wanting to make Aliens or anything "fancy" like that at this point)?
2. Which brand of wire would you recommend?
3. Where would I be able to source the wire from, as the sites that I normally get my vape gear from mostly stock wire like the Wotofo spools mentioned above?

I am currently using a single 3.5mm ID in the Blotto and a 3mm ID in the Wasp Nana RTA if that would be useful information.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Check out vape hyper, they currently have a sale on wire.
I would start with 26g for the core and 36g for the wrap. I am assuming you have a drill, but you need to get ball bearing swivels from a fishing shop, they come in a pack and join them(at least 2). The correct swivels make a massive difference, and you can crank up the drill speed once you get a hang of it.
Patience, you will waste a bit of wire but once you get the tension of the wrap wire, everything falls into place.
Youtube: Pristine builds, sherlock ohms, squid doode.

@Friep , would be great to get your advice here for @NOOB

28ga ni80 is great all round wire for tri cores and even dual cores. 36ga for the outer wrapping is great. There seems to be a shortage on 28ga but normally go for 100ft of your core wire and 500ft min for outer wrap the outer wire goes quite quickly.

Suppliers:
Vaperite has vape creation wire that is well priced.
Vapehyper has kidney puncher bit more expensive but exceptional quality.
Gasphase is well priced and excellent quality currently their site is down but throut punch stocks their wire.
Juicy joes also stocks kidney puncher wire.

You will definitely need ball bearing swivels and a drill to get started.

Would it not make sense to buy some small-ish spools of the cheapest possible wire first, assuming that some practice and wastage will occur? Once you get the hang of things you can invest in good quality wire?
I dont make my own coils and probably never will (I lack the attention to detail and precision), so take my comment with a pinch of salt.

Hi @NOOB
Good evening friends.

Up until now I have been using Wotofo N80 wire spools (dual core and tri core fused claptons) and just wrapping my coils from that. I would like to explore the option of making my own coils from scratch as I find it very interesting and I think it could be quite fun. However, at this point in time I am not sure if I would pursue this full-time as I am not sure what the pro's/con's are of making your own coils. As such I do not want to pay and arm and a leg for the material, but would rather invest a little more when I am more experienced and if the bug bites.
My questions are:
1. Which gauge wire would you recommend to make a dual or tri core fused clapton for instance (not wanting to make Aliens or anything "fancy" like that at this point)?
3. Where would I be able to source the wire from, as the sites that I normally get my vape gear from mostly stock wire like the Wotofo spools mentioned above?

I am currently using a single 3.5mm ID in the Blotto and a 3mm ID in the Wasp Nana RTA if that would be useful information.

Just to add to what everyone else has already said.

Your choice depends on what ohms and heat you like to use.
26AWG is nice and hot as a dual or tri core but it does need a substantial amount of power and the ohms will be quite low.
28AWG is my preferred core wire because its easy to work with in tri cores and not too low ohms wise.

For the outer wrap, i prefer 34 AWG for 2 reasons.
1. Easy to work with
2. Ohms are a little higher as I like my coils to be 4 wraps. If i used 36 or 38 or 40 then the same coils comes out below 0.2 and i dont generally go below 0.2.

If you are looking at dual coils then I would keep the coil ohm requirements in mind unless you dont have issues with say 0.1 ohm builds etc.

So in summary, 26 is hot and ohms out lower and needs more power and 28 is also hot but needs less power and ohms are higher.
36 is a great starting point for outer wraps, with 38 and 40 being very thin and difficult to work with and 34 may be too thick for some people.

Hi friends. My sincere apologies for only replying on this thread now, it's been a rough day :facepalm:

@Hakhan @Mr. B @Silver @Friep @CJB85 @Christos thank you so much for all the invaluable information that you have provided. Your advise has given me a good starting point in my research. I have seen a few youtube videos on the topic and have most of the gear needed to start ofr with, apart from the wire of course.
Again, thank you so much for the advise, it is highly appreciated.

Hi friends. My sincere apologies for only replying on this thread now, it's been a rough day :facepalm:

@Hakhan @Mr. B @Silver @Friep @CJB85 @Christos thank you so much for all the invaluable information that you have provided. Your advise has given me a good starting point in my research. I have seen a few youtube videos on the topic and have most of the gear needed to start ofr with, apart from the wire of course.
Again, thank you so much for the advise, it is highly appreciated.

Wishing you well with it @NOOB
May the wire be with you! Hehe
Let us know how it goes and what your findings are

Good evening friends.

My questions are:

Where did you get your spools from?

Hi @GarethB, if you are referring to the Wotofo N80 wire spools, Blck Vapour had some in stock not too long ago. I see they don't have stock at the moment though. I have also sourced some from Vaper's Corner before, they currently seem to have stock here.

Back