Flavoured vapes help young people quit smoking

Hooked

Vapin' up a Storm
LV

Awards
Flavoured vapes are less harmful than cigarettes for young people, controversial study claims
https://www.iol.co.za/saturday-star...y-claims-0c4e79c3-e25d-47b0-b09e-223925eb182c
20 Nov. 2021

"A controversial study is suggesting that flavoured vapes are less harmful than cigarettes to young people, and could be used to help them quit smoking.

The new research led by the University of East Anglia (UEA) in the UK examined the views and experiences of a half a million under 18s. The scientists wanted to find out if young people started vaping because they are attracted to e-liquid flavours and if this led them to start smoking tobacco.

They found that for young vapers flavours were important and that this could be used to help them move away from tobacco smoking.

“Flavours may be an important motivator for e-cigarette uptake – but we found no evidence that using flavoured e-liquids attracted young people to go on to take up tobacco smoking,” said the lead researcher, Prof Caitlin Notley, from UEA’s Norwich Medical School, in a statement.

Their research was published in the journal Addiction.

“Ensuring the continued availability of a range of e-liquid flavours is likely to be important in encouraging young people who smoke to switch to vaping as a less harmful alternative,” Notley added.

The researchers did warn that more needed to be done to make sure that teens who have never smoked are not attracted to vaping. Dr Yussuf Saloojee, director of the National Council Against Smoking (NCAS) disagreed with the researchers findings.

“Flavours are a recipe to get children and youth to start a lifelong addiction to nicotine,” he said.

[At last some sense amongst the nonsense!]

Vaping Facts vs Fear-Mongering: Finding the Truth!

Hey Vapers and Quitters,

Let's have an open discussion about the information out there on vaping. It's crucial to navigate through the sea of facts and potential fear-mongering to make informed decisions.

Comparing Notes: NHS vs CDC

1. Second-hand Vapor:
    • NHS: Suggests vaping around others is likely low risk.
    • CDC: Raises concerns about the risks for kids and teens.
Interpretation: While vaping responsibly around others is considerate, it's vital to be cautious, especially around young ones.

1. Long-Term Effects:
    • NHS: Acknowledges the unknowns but highlights vaping's substantial harm reduction compared to smoking.
    • CDC: Expresses concerns about the potential risks of vaping for youth.
Interpretation: For smokers trying to quit, vaping appears to be a less harmful alternative. For non-smokers, especially the younger crowd, it's wise to steer clear.

1. Disposal of Vapes:
    • NHS: Encourages responsible disposal through recycling centers.
    • CDC: Raises concerns about environmental pollutants from discarded vapes.
Interpretation: Proper disposal matters, so let's recycle those vapes and keep our planet clean.

The Bottom Line:

• Vaping as a Quitting Tool: If you're a smoker, vaping might be a useful tool for quitting. The NHS even suggests it's twice as effective as other nicotine replacements.
  • For Non-Smokers: If you've never smoked, vaping isn't a green light. It's not harmless, and health is wealth.
Responsible Vaping Community:

Let's be responsible vapers. Encourage fellow quitters, share your journey, and help each other make informed choices. Remember, vaping isn't risk-free, but for some, it's a stepping stone to a smoke-free life.

No to Youth Vaping: We're not here to promote vaping to the youth. It's a tool for smokers looking for an exit, not an entry for the uninitiated.

Your thoughts? Drop 'em below!

A Glimpse into New Zealand's Anti-Smoking Success and the Vaping Conundrum

Hey Vape Enthusiasts,

I stumbled upon an interesting article about New Zealand's battle against smoking, and I couldn't help but share my thoughts. The Kiwis are celebrating a significant drop in smoking rates, reaching an all-time low, and it's fantastic news! However, the increased numbers of vapers seem to be causing a bit of a stir among some.

Now, let's look at this with a discerning eye. The reduction in smoking rates is undoubtedly a cause for celebration. But here's the twist – the reason behind this success could very well be the rise in vaping. Many smokers are making the switch to vaping as a less harmful alternative. It's a positive step towards a smoke-free world.

However, it seems the ever-present concern is the surge in vaping numbers, especially among the younger crowd. The culprit? Disposable vapes. Yes, those pesky disposables are causing quite a stir globally. It's high time we address the real issue – the need for stricter regulations on disposable devices.

Banning disposables might be the key to balancing the scales. By doing so, we can continue to encourage smokers to make the switch while ensuring that vaping remains a responsible and adult choice. Let's not forget the enormous positive impact vaping has had on countless lives, helping smokers kick the habit.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Let's keep the discussion rolling and share insights into how we can strike a balance between curbing smoking and maintaining the integrity of the vaping community.

You can read the entire article here: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/smoki...ls-smokefree-laws/GJFMUUSVF5GWPJFGDMKPJG67II/

Vape on,

Hey Vape Community,

Recently, I came across an article on Healthline that posed the question: "Is vaping worse than smoking cigarettes?" Intrigued by the topic, I decided to take a closer look and share my insights.

1. Personal Experience: The article questions the safety of vaping, but from my own journey, I've found vaping to be a lifesaver in kicking the smoking habit. Improved well-being, better smell, and the ability to manage what goes into my vape juice are just a few benefits.

2. Knowing Your Juice: One point raised is understanding the ingredients in your vape juice. As someone who mixes my own, I can attest to the peace of mind that comes with complete control over the components. For those relying on commercial juices, choosing reputable shops is crucial. The article highlights the potential risks of knockoff products, reinforcing the importance of authenticity.

3. Addressing Concerns: Healthline discusses concerns about the potential harmful effects of vaping. Let's dissect these claims together and separate fact from fiction. It's essential to critically evaluate the studies and research cited, keeping in mind the broader context of vaping as a harm reduction tool.

4. Community Discussion: I'm eager to hear your thoughts. What has your experience been with vaping compared to smoking? Do you have concerns or insights regarding the points raised in the Healthline article? Let's engage in a constructive conversation and share our collective knowledge.

Together, let's navigate the nuances of vaping and contribute to a well-informed discussion.

Keep vaping responsibly! ✨

My problem is how easy it is to hide these tiny vapes in blazers and pockets and pencil bags.

We all smoked at school but it was a mission and you had to hide and spray deo and wash hands and and and.

My teenager in high school says vaping is OUT OF CONTROL at school and they just vape everywhere because they can. vape in class, changerooms, corridors. we couldnt smoke like that.

And these nic salts levels are just ludicrous!

My problem is how easy it is to hide these tiny vapes in blazers and pockets and pencil bags.

We all smoked at school but it was a mission and you had to hide and spray deo and wash hands and and and.

My teenager in high school says vaping is OUT OF CONTROL at school and they just vape everywhere because they can. vape in class, changerooms, corridors. we couldnt smoke like that.

And these nic salts levels are just ludicrous!
Hey @Paul33,

You've hit the nail on the head, my friend. The ease of concealing these tiny vapes is indeed a game-changer. Back in the day, smoking at school was a covert operation with all the deo and handwashing rituals. Now, it seems vaping is turning school corridors into clouds without the same level of caution.

I'm right there with you on the concerns, especially with kids entering high school. It's a delicate balance between advocating for vaping as a harm reduction tool for smokers and ensuring it doesn't become a trend among non-smokers.

And don't even get me started on those disposable nightmares! The sooner they're banned, the better. Let's keep pushing for responsible vaping and sensible regulations.

Cheers to a vape-friendly but responsible future!

You missed that current school regulations forbid any kind of " Punitive " action against a learner. I smoked as a teenager but rarely at school because I have had 6 of the best for a previous indiscretion and was never going to risk that again. No physical scars but man the mental scars of that beating are still with me.

I would take a bet that if a caning was still on the cards, we would have far fewer vapers in school.

You missed that current school regulations forbid any kind of " Punitive " action against a learner. I smoked as a teenager but rarely at school because I have had 6 of the best for a previous indiscretion and was never going to risk that again. No physical scars but man the mental scars of that beating are still with me.

I would take a bet that if a caning was still on the cards, we would have far fewer vapers in school.
A good bit of whoop ass would solve a lot of problems. These days you can't even raise your voice to a child and it is classified as abuse. What is this world coming to?

A good bit of whoop ass would solve a lot of problems. These days you can't even raise your voice to a child and it is classified as abuse. What is this world coming to?
I would say that the canings helped my engineering career, rather than help me quit smoking ... One of my early inventions being a "flap pad", a car tube cut to backside dimensions and popped into your underwear ... the challenge was to punch enough holes in the tube, using a leather punch, for you to feel a little something, to provide the expected "reaction", whilst also sounding realistic, and ... said canings never stopped me smoking :think: ... 50 years on, Vaping did!

1. Disposal of Vapes:
    • NHS: Encourages responsible disposal through recycling centers.
    • CDC: Raises concerns about environmental pollutants from discarded vapes.
That is not entirely true about the NHS encouraging responsible disposals through recycling centres. I am part of a group that does litter picks in our little community and the shocking amount of disposable vapes thrown in the street, on the walk paths and out on the back ends of shop buildings is evident that no one bothers to hand them into recycling boxes placed at a lot of places.

That is not entirely true about the NHS encouraging responsible disposals through recycling centres. I am part of a group that does litter picks in our little community and the shocking amount of disposable vapes thrown in the street, on the walk paths and out on the back ends of shop buildings is evident that no one bothers to hand them into recycling boxes placed at a lot of places.
The point that they are trying to make is that there are places to recycle old pods. What pisses me off is that they then wash their hands from making sure that these recycling bins are being used correctly, or at all.

Back