Frandy Flavours (FRA) - Concentrate Reviews

FRA Watermelon
Mixed at 4% in 70/30 VG/PG 0mg nic
Tested on a Goon RDA, 0.24 Ohms, 50W
Steep time: 11 days

Notes:
If you want a watermelon to flesh out your fruit mixes, this is it! This watermelon does a fantastic job at providing that fresh, juicy, watermelon note, without any fake or chemical nastiness.

The first taste sensation is that of lightly sweet, shimmering ruby flesh with a slight taste of the rind and a hint of the pips to add a bit of complexity. This is not overly sweet and is perfectly balanced to provide a base for a melon mix or fruit salad type vape. This will work wonderfully in Tiger’s Blood and will stand up well with a bit of coolant…

This is an outstanding watermelon and a must have for fruit lovers!

Recommend to a friend: Yebo
Rating: 5/5

Last edited:
FRA Mango Shake

Notes:
Oh my – where have you been hiding this jewel!!! Mango Shake, and then some!!

When I first tasted this, my 4 year old asked, “dad, can I have a piece of your mango?” upon smelling the wafts of mango which drifted towards her, which speaks volumes about the authenticity of this treasure.

This a phenomenal mango which will make you want to come back for more! The mango represented is a sweet, (over) ripe mango which encapsulates the fruit in an eerily realistic fashion. Close your eyes and you will immediately know that this is mango. The deep mango is enhanced by a delectable creamy base which does not distract from the protagonist in any way. It is not an ice cream shake per se, rather a creamy blend of creams.

I had this as a single flavour mix at 5% for most of the weekend (3 day steep) and was truly satisfied. I did not get bored of it as each puff is a homage to the king of tropical fruits.

FRA Pink Guava

Notes:
Yes sir, this is Guava all right! This is instantly recognisable as the guava we have become accustomed to in fruit rolls, fresh guava juice and dare I say Oros! This is not a fresh guava but rather a sweet, concentrated straight up guava. It lacks a bit of mouth-feel but is not crucial in this interpretation of this beautiful fruit.

There is no chemical or artificialness happening here which is very encouraging. This will add a lovely base to any fruit salad type or tropical vape. 4% is good as a standalone and perhaps 1-2% in a recipe. You can happily sub this in a recipe calling for Sweet Guava.

Rating: 4/5

FRA Papaya

Notes:
For a very long time TFA ruled the roost with Papaya…until now!! Step aside old timer, there is a new player in town and this player does not mess about!

This papaya perfectly encapsulates a slice of perfectly ripe Papaya, not the sad, over ripe, blemished version so often found at the local fruit and veg.

This baby has a buttery, deliciously sweet, musky flavour as well as that familiar bitter papaya note. This is not an over-ripe over sweetened mess, it is papaya, as you know it. This works very well as a single flavour at 4% and will be stunning in a smoothie, shake, fruity/tropical recipe.

If you like tropical fruit, get this – you won’t be sorry… I would give this 10 out of 5...

FRA Cookie

Notes:
I tasted this after 3 and 5 days and struggled to identify this as a cookie. I let it steep for another bit in the hope that it would become something, but alas, 11 days later, it has not yet developed into a discernable cookie flavour.

This has no real body, texture or main flavour profile and not identifiable as a cookie. This is more like a yellow cake/sponge cake and will work well as a base/filler in bakery type recipes. Some sweetness and hints of vanilla are present but will require a bit of help to make itself known.

Cookie, no.
Cake, yes.

Recommend to a friend: Haibo
Rating: 2/5

Before I start, big thanks to @Richio from Blck Vapour for providing the concentrates for these Frandy reviews.

General overview
Frandy is a new name in the market and is a portmanteau of Fruit and Candy. With some exceptions (like Cookie), the name not only describes the range but also the variations within the range. The five fruit flavours I received for testing ranged from total authenticity to complete unashamed candy. That makes it a bit tricky to decide which ones you want. This isn't like FA or Medicine Flower where the fruits are genuine attempts at the real McCoy. But you will certainly be in no doubt, when tasting any of these flavours, whether it's intended to be authentic or candy. They pin their colours to the mast clearly. The flavours arrived in the PET child-proof bottles with the needle nozzles and new Blck branding, which is standard Blck packaging now. One notable trait is that all five flavours were crystal clear. After testing, my wicks were not even slightly discoloured although there was some gunking on the coil, probably as a result of sweetener. However, these flavours generally won't be coil murderers.

FRA Mango Shake

Tested in the Hadaly clone, 0.5Ω SS round wire spaced coil, full Cotton Bacon v2 wicks, at 25W
Tested at 2, 4, and 6%

Notes
My initial sniff test suggested a moist but not wet, slightly over-ripe yellow mango. This translated faithfully to the vape. Upon first vaping it, I was immediately struck by the similarity to Cap Sweet Mango. That flavour is renowned for its over-ripe character. While it is toned down a bit in the FRA Mango Shake, you'll recognise it immediately - and even more as you dial up the percentages. The mango is what I'd call a solid middle-of-the-road mango. Neither too candy bright nor too dark and musty, neither too sweet nor not sweet enough, with just enough fibrous husk to suggest that it's not mango nectar either. I'm not getting a shake from it. There is a deeper base supporting and thickening the mango but there is no overt dairy from it. I'm split on whether it's a neutral cream or more of a mango pulp but I'll go with the latter as I'm not getting smooth creaminess from it. It has a decent dense body to it but pulp will give you that too. It's also not wet but moderately moist, the whole pulp thing again. I'll settle on a thick puree of liquidised mango with some chunkier bits still present. If you want to push it towards the shake profile, just throw in your favourite ice-cream and maybe a bit of sweetener.

Concentration testing
This reaches full flavour at around 4-5%. I pushed it to 6% but the ripeness dials up with the strength and at 6%, I was getting that fermented funk from Cap Sweet, along with a bitter chemical note starting to manifest on the exhale. It will probably see most use at around 2%, though, as a component in a mango or tropical blend.

Utility
This is a decent mango on its own, which is quite a high recommendation in itself. But mangoes tend to do better in pairs or, if you're ID10-T, with up to four mangoes creating the ideal balance that you seek. I think this will play well with others. It treads a middle path on just about everything - halfway on the moisture scale, halfway on the sweetness scale, halfway on the brightness and density scales too. So it will probably serve to rein in extremes on other mangoes and bring them towards the median. At typical mixing percentages, you'll also avoid the over-ripe and bitter chemical notes that manifest up high. All in all, it's a solid and versatile mango flavour.

Superb review @RichJB
Thanks for the backstory on Frandy. Very interesting

FRA Honeydew
Tested in the Hadaly clone, 0.5Ω SS round wire spaced coil, full Cotton Bacon v2 wicks, at 25W
Tested at 2, 4, and 6%

Notes
My initial sniff test suggested a sweet, rindy, ripe green melon. It seems to be a feature of honeydew flavours that they are often quite potent and they linger in wicks and atties. That was the case with FRA Honeydew too. This is an attempt at authentic honeydew melon and it gets commendably close. The green and rindy part of the sniff test translated faithfully to the vape. The ripeness dials up a notch in the vape, just edging into over-ripe but not unpleasantly so. The sweetness level is a touch less than I anticipated from the sniff test. A dab of sweetener could help this to pop and hit the spot. At lowish percentages, it delivers a pleasingly fleshy and moist texture with an appropriately pungent and melon-musky flavour that is true to the profile. There is a deep body to the flavour as well. The overall impression is of a solid chunk of melon flesh rather than the delicate green melon balls that you find at buffets. It vapes a little warmer than I'd like so I'd add a touch of cooling agent to bring out the freshness. Warm melon is almost as unappetising as warm Coke.

Concentration testing
This was fractionally under-flavoured at 2%, very slightly over-flavoured at 4%. At 6%, the vape dries out considerably and harsher notes manifest. I'd use this at 3% for an unassisted top note, 1-1.5% as an accent or in conjunction with other melons. It's more assertive than Cap Honeydew Melon, quite a bit less assertive than TFA Honeydew.

Utility
This is a full and convincing honeydew which lacks nothing. You can pair it with another honeydew but it works fine solo for me. At sensible percentages, there are no off notes or gaps in the profile. It will benefit from very light sweetening and/or cooling. To add the sweetness and a bit of juiciness in one go, I can see 0.5% FA Pear complementing this well. Be warned though that it is a clinger. It's not as resilient as TFA Honeydew but once this gets into your atty, a re-wick is the only way to fully remove it.

FRA Lychee
Mixed at 2% and 4% in 70/30 VG/PG 0mg nic
Tested on Entheon RDA, 0.18 Ohms, 50W

Notes:
This Lychee definitely ticks the all the boxes in terms of being a sweet lychee and conforms to the characteristics of the FRA fruit range = sweet, ripe and potent.

FRA lychee tastes of a very ripe lychee packed full of vibrant tropical flavours, and then some! At 4%, the flavour is robust and perfect as a standalone but will dominate in a recipe. This will work very well at 2% in a mix and provide that familiar lycheee notes in a tropical type vape.

There are some floral notes present which dissipates to a degree after a steep. The floral notes are characteristic of lychee and is very reminiscent of a rose type flavour. I would consider using this in a Turkish Delight mix to equalise and boost the Rose component.

This does not bring the same authenticity as found in the king of lychees = FA Lychee, but is a formidable CAP Sweet Lychee contender.

Rating: 4/5

@Vino1718

Anyone try the Red Bull concentrate?

Yeah, I'm a massive fan of the Frandy range, but not this one. It's thin and weak and nothing like red bull.

I tend to use FRA at < 2.5% and they are full flavoured, but at 2% on this I really had to look for the flavour.
Tested at 1 day and 1 week steep.

Yeah, I'm a massive fan of the Frandy range, but not this one. It's thin and weak and nothing like red bull.

Alas I have to agree. The search for a proper Red Bull flavour still continues.

Have you tried FA Mad Fruit? I haven't but Concrete reckons it's a good representation of Red Bull.

I have and though it may be one of the concentrates closest to a Red Bull flavour, it is still not right. I am now busy trying combinations of various red bull type flavours to see if a combo between various ones may bring the desired result. I think I have a stockpile of about 6 different ones, so it may take a while.

I have and I remember it's good, but this was some time ago so I cannot recall the exact profile right now.

Back