GeekVape: Does Geek Know Better?

Modyrts

Hi Hungry, I'm Dad
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
I had a rant about Voopoo the other day and decided today I'd get to my issues with GeekVape, (Check it out here: https://www.ecigssa.co.za/voopoo-let-me-down.t72936/ ) With the launch of the L200 this year I am awaiting to receive mine I decided to look back at GeekVape.

I have a decent amount of experience with GeekVape products, as I type this I am using my Aegis Max. ( I have also personally owned the Aegis Legend, Aegis X, Aegis Boost, a few different Zeus and other attys, the Mech Pro, the Black Ring mech etc.)

GeekVape's sole selling point of durability and quality. Being the "Caterpillar of vapes", they don't break was by far the reason I suggested this device to many of my friends. After supporting the brand for years my opinion has definitely changed.
  • The Aegis Legend, formally titled: the indestructible vape was definitely a workhorse of a vape. The hardware itself was sound however with the bottom battery door much like with other vapes that share this feature easily breaks after a while. To its credit this did last me quite a while before I had any issues with it however after owning an Aegis X for barely two months the door on that broke after one fall and much like with other similar devices has ended up with cable ties on it
  • The Aegis X suffers from having a very easily scratched screen. It eventually got to a point where the screen was so scuffed that it looked as if I had sanded it down, just from regular use in and out the pocket/car door
  • The Aegis Max while having a clever design for the battery bay with a screw in seal, the latch on the seal often pivots 90° facing the ground which results with every time I put the device down the latch catches causing the device to fall over or the inconvenience of having to flip the latch up
1.jpg

• The finish... For a range of devices advertised as durable and rugged the devices themselves can take a beating, not the finish. Perhaps this is a pro vs con situation but the rubber coating that all these devices tarnishes quickly. I have pealed sections of it off as it looked so bad. The corners of these devices are easily pitted from the rubber being pierced. Perhaps it's better than the device itself being damage. The painted, yes painted, plastic trim (because they no longer do it in aluminum) also suffers from paint chipping.
  • I also want to mention that the faceplates of the devices such as the Legend X and Legend quite commonly pop off after a while haven't had this issue with my Aegis Max, yet. I know of at least two people who have stuck theirs back with presstick...
  • The Boost, oh how the boost really got me. I'm not certain if I was just really unlucky but I barely went a day without my device being covered in juice while I used it for the course of three weeks.
  • The Zeus tanks while they are good in terms of flavor production I just wish they would use a better rubber/silicone for the o-rings as these specifically tear far easier than on other attys even in comparison to their own attys
I am genuinely hoping that GeekVape does not continue the trend of releasing devices that are of subpar quality which seems to be a trend with manufacturers. That being said some GeekVape products I owned back in the early days such as the Karma, Medusa Attys and Mech Pro gave me hell perhaps quality has never been their main concern.

Now to GeekVape's credit, I have personally had them send me an Aegis X after my legend broke and I only had to pay shipping. A friend of mine received the same sympathy after he had an issue with his device, both times out of warranty. So if anything they definitely have good customer service.

Please note that this is my personal experience with these devices, others may have had different results.

Back