Home brew

thekeeperza

Reonaut
VIP
Taste Box Boss
LV

Awards
First home brew done today. Mangrove Jack Traditional Brown Ale kit with DME and a Willamette hops addition.
@johan thank you again. You will recognise the handy fermenting vessel ;-). Hopefully there will be some half decent beer soon.

20160117_180228.jpg

First home brew done today. Mangrove Jack Traditional Brown Ale kit with DME and a Willamette hops addition.
@johan thank you again. You will recognise the handy fermenting vessel ;-). Hopefully there will be some half decent beer soon.

View attachment 43433

Looks good, I will hopefully do a taste end of Feb - I love a hoppy brown ale :rock:.

ooo just us beer here

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

First brew done and bottled.

e9856a680e210d93238e57453a9afd59.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Ran out of patience and had to test a pint. Definitely have beer here. Just needs to age some more.
56590512d6e990b7ce588fcb80862a24.jpg

Ran out of patience and had to test a pint. Definitely have beer here. Just needs to age some more.
56590512d6e990b7ce588fcb80862a24.jpg

Looks excellent, next brew ad +/-250gm maltodextrin (available at all brew stores) to up the head (and mouth feel).

@thekeeperza Did you drink all of it ? :) How was it ?

edit: Wrong user called
It wasn't too bad for a first go. A bit light but still better than the commercial stuff. I have a 6 or so left that I am going to keep for a while to see if it improves.
I have upgraded to making all grain beer since then and started with an Irish Red Ale.
20160227_112214~01.jpg

It wasn't too bad for a first go. A bit light but still better than the commercial stuff. I have a 6 or so left that I am going to keep for a while to see if it improves.
I have upgraded to making all grain beer since then and started with an Irish Red Ale.
View attachment 49600

Now you getting serious - I like!

Raging Red Irish Ale all grain home brew. Been in the bottle for 2 weeks and tasting very good. Nice body and much better mouthfeel.
77ca935cf1a345ba542356b720dfc09d.jpg

The Irish ale looks good @thekeeperza :--) congrads. I had a bash about two years ago to brew some but had a small mishap with a bottle popping in the fridge. So no more bear brewing. I do however ferment Mead. Atm I have about 20l racked almost ready for bottling. Are there any other Mead makers in the Vaping community?

@Warlock I did brew Mead once (+/- 8 years ago), but suffered a huge oxidation during transfer and hence off tastes - had to bin and never tried it again. For the past few years I stick to various IPA's, Calafornia common's and session Ales.

I love the look of the "head" on your brew, it looks so healthy. What is a IPA? In an earlier post you spoke of "TEST OF PATIENCE".
How is this for the ultimate TEST OF PATIENCE. Mead ferments for three weeks, then becomes "best after one year" So I get to wait for a year. I,m like this:(for a year befor I get to be like his:godsdrink0nw:

I love the look of the "head" on your brew, it looks so healthy. What is a IPA? In an earlier post you spoke of "TEST OF PATIENCE".
How is this for the ultimate TEST OF PATIENCE. Mead ferments for three weeks, then becomes "best after one year" So I get to wait for a year. I,m like this:(for a year befor I get to be like his:godsdrink0nw:

IPA stands for India Pale Ale, normally a low gravity hoppy beer - history etc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_pale_ale

The blonde Ale from a few weeks back. Tastes awesome but is lacking carbonation after 5 weeks in the bottle.
Could have something to do with the cold crash before bottling.

0d4db8cb22ebd121bdaf4117d92a1699.jpg

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

My Mead’s progress:
One month to ferment, seven months racked in the demijohns, now bottled.
Four months of steeping left to go...then finally get to drink some.
100_1115.JPG

The blonde Ale from a few weeks back. Tastes awesome but is lacking carbonation after 5 weeks in the bottle.
Could have something to do with the cold crash before bottling.

0d4db8cb22ebd121bdaf4117d92a1699.jpg

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Cold crashing should only affect your carbonation if you used too much "fining agents" i.e gelatin prior to cold crashing - if you are sanitary sane, you can open up the bottles and drop in some dextrose if at all necessary plus bottle conditioning yeast (brewmart in Pta used to stock this type of yeast). Cap again and leave it at room temp for +/- 2 weeks. Had to do a couple of times eons back when fooling around with lagers.

You guys have some great kit!

I brewed some about 2 months back, and about every third bottle has a sour note to it, so I'm assuming those particular bottles weren't 100% clean?

You guys have some great kit!

I brewed some about 2 months back, and about every third bottle has a sour note to it, so I'm assuming those particular bottles weren't 100% clean?

If your beer doesn't have jelly like strings in it (aceto bacteria), and it's palatable, you are safe to drink it, irrespective of sour notes. Cleanliness and sanitation rules in any form of alcohol brewing/distilling. Get yourself some Star San before you do your next brew to prevent any wild yeast ruining your brew.

Back