Homebrew Lab stirrer for DIY E-Liquid

John

Blerrie Mech Addict
LV

Awards
Hi Everyone,

So some of you may know that I'm working on an extremely efficient stirring device for thoroughly mixing my e-liquid recipes. The lab-grade stir bar arrived from a lab supply company late last week and so I've been able to get the prototype working this weekend (after a few tweaks here and there). Its a very rough proof-of-concept but it works fantastically so I'm now building the speed-control circuit and a more visually appealing case.

Here's a video of the stirrer with a beaker of regular ol' H20

Here's a video of the stirrer mixing up a batch of SkyBlue Strawberries and Cream

Very cool, I'd definitely be interested in one of these. Especially if you could build it on top of a warming plate.

@John , this is absolutely fantastic!! When are they available? :D

Thanks bud, I'm definately going to build a few for my fellow vapers here at ecigssa once i've ironed out all the kinks. When its ready i'll get some numbers and work out the costing per unit :)

This device mixes better than any method I've tried to date, and that includes dremel-mounted paddles (which are grossly insanitary), tumblers, centrifugal mixers etc. The mixing action is just so efficient, and one can see that by the way the bubbles move around in the flask when its working :)

The part I like the most is probably the improbability of the mixing container flying across the room ha ha, the container remains perfectly still while it works.

where did you get the capsules, I was thinking of building 1 previously, but then forgot about the concept, because I couldnt get the magnets.

Very cool, I'd definitely be interested in one of these. Especially if you could build it on top of a warming plate.

I'm looking into the warming plate as well, although it presents a few more hurdles - namely with the electrical system etc. the prototype runs off a 5v 450ma power source for the constant-speed version and the variable speed version runs off a 9v 900ma power supply, the heated version will need between 2A~4A depending on the heating element. I may produce a cheaper, not heated version and a more expensive heated version but IMO there is absolutely no need for heating with this system, the flask in the second video contained 70VG/30PG at room temperature and it mixed like a beast!

where did you get the capsules, I was thinking of building 1 previously, but then forgot about the concept, because I couldnt get the magnets.

Most lab supply companies will stock them ;-) I got this one along with a small consignment of glassware

i need to go dig out an old pc fan and some magnets and make one for myself

A few of the early versions I made with PC fans worked out ok but I found that they wont last long - the magnetic pull lifts the entire spindle upwards while its running and eventually the bearings run, also the physical resistance increases the amp draw which invariably results in a burnt-out potentiometer. Went through 4 pots already :( Perhaps a heavier duty fan would work out better - I only tried them out with run-of-the-mill 80mm chassis fans. Let me know what works for you

A few of the early versions I made with PC fans worked out ok but I found that they wont last long - the magnetic pull lifts the entire spindle upwards while its running and eventually the bearings run, also the physical resistance increases the amp draw which invariably results in a burnt-out potentiometer. Went through 4 pots already :( Perhaps a heavier duty fan would work out better - I only tried them out with run-of-the-mill 80mm chassis fans. Let me know what works for you

Pardon my horrible lack of knowledge here but if a mosfet/resistor combo works for keeping crappy low amp switches alive in a box mod, should work to keep the pot alive also no?

Pardon my horrible lack of knowledge here but if a mosfet/resistor combo works for keeping crappy low amp switches alive in a box mod, should work to keep the pot alive also no?
Interesting thought - let me look into that one :)

Nope.sadly must agree . i tried everything from cheap to 120mm's at R200+,they all eventually rattle and self destructed.
Maybe a 220v server rack fan,but that will just be crazy

It would just need to go for balancing :p

Message sent via tapatalk

What about a small dc motor in stead of a fan? A bar with two magnets on the dc motor should be able to provide the same magnetic pull for the stirrer.

I do realise that you are effectively using a small DC motor (the fan's), but perhaps a better quality DC motor would do the trick rather than the mass produced low cost ones that they generally use in PC fans.

I must admit though, my knowledge of electronics is rudimentary at best , all I can remember is BBROYGBVGW (and the naughty rhyme that goes with it :) )

What about a small dc motor in stead of a fan? A bar with two magnets on the dc motor should be able to provide the same magnetic pull for the stirrer.

I do realise that you are effectively using a small DC motor (the fan's), but perhaps a better quality DC motor would do the trick rather than the mass produced low cost ones that they generally use in PC fans.

I must admit though, my knowledge of electronics is rudimentary at best , all I can remember is BBROYGBVGW (and the naughty rhyme that goes with it :) )
Haha! Yes, thats what I plan on doing :)
Half the effort is finding a suitable one though

Nope.sadly must agree . i tried everything from cheap to 120mm's at R200+,they all eventually rattle and self destructed.
Maybe a 220v server rack fan,but that will just be crazy
Those rack fans a pretty badass, a tad bit on the large side though but they seem to be indestructible. I saw them at A1 radio for around R250 iirc

@John, I have one of those 220v cabinet fans, how would you regulate the speed though?

Back