Horror movies and thrillers

Grand Guru

The Vape Guru
LV

Awards
I’m a huge fan of horror movies and thrillers. This thread is for those who have the passion for goosebumps to share recommendations

I once binged all the Saw movies. All of them back to back. Once you get desensitized to the blood and gore its got a very good story to it. You also start looking at your work colleagues differently.

I have grown out of horrors lately. My wife still loves the paranormal stuff but I have become too much of a sensitive viewer. Still love a good zombie movie.

TheEntity.jpg

The Entity
is a 1982 American supernatural horror film directed by Sidney J. Furie, and written by Frank De Felitta, who adapted his 1978 novel of the same name. The film stars Barbara Hershey as a single mother in Los Angeles who is raped and tormented by an invisible assailant.

Like the novel, the film is based on the 1974 case of Doris Bither, a woman who claimed to have been repeatedly sexually assaulted by an invisible entity, and who was observed by doctoral students at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Despite being filmed and planned for a release in 1981, the movie was not released in worldwide theaters until September 1982 and February 1983 in the United States.

The Doris Bither case, also known as the Entity haunting, was an alleged haunting which occurred in 1974 in Culver City, California where a woman named Doris Bither alleged the ghosts of three men were raping her. The case inspired Frank De Felitta's 1978 book The Entity which was made into a 1982 film of the same name starring Barbara Hershey.[1]

Background
Doris Bither, a mother of 4 children, met Barry Taff and Kerry Gaynor after a female friend of hers overheard a private conversation between the gentlemen in a Westwood bookstore near the UCLA campus. At the time, Taff was working in the now defunct parapsychology lab run by the late Thelma Moss.[2] Taff, with the assistance of Gaynor conducted a preliminary interview of Ms. Bither's paranormal claims on August 22, 1974.[3] This interview revealed Bither had a history of physical and substance abuse along with a traumatic childhood. Investigators also noticed there was a poor relationship between Doris and her four sons. Their home was likewise in severe disrepair having been condemned twice.[4][5] Bither alleged she was attacked and raped by an invisible entity. Later she reported the spirits of three men assaulted her. Taff allegedly photographed a variety of luminous anomalies while investigating Bither.[6]

Taff claimed to have photographed orbs and said the frequency and intensity of attacks decreased with time.[7] Bither died in 1999 of pulmonary arrest.[6]

I have grown out of horrors lately. My wife still loves the paranormal stuff but I have become too much of a sensitive viewer. Still love a good zombie movie.

Classic!

Insidious
Cannibal Holocaust
Salo (not for the sensitive)
Green Inferno (Eli Roth tribute to Cannibal Holocaust)

Loved the original Evil Dead, as well as the remake.
Love the Stephen King books, but they always ALWAYS screw up the movies (except for Misery).

Will have a bit of a think today and post more of my favourites later on.

If kept in the context of when it was made, A Nightmare on Elm Street was incredible.

One that has haunted me since watching it as a kid. IT.
To this day I am Sh*t scared of clowns. My wife even thought it was funny to ask a clown at a local mall that was promoting a toy store to come over to say hi. Lets just say the mall security was pissing themselves laughing at a grown man cowering behind a trolley cart in the fetial position.

Cannibal Holocaust- WEIRD SHXT
Salo (not for the sensitive) - this was one of the most shocking movies ever
Stephen King , but they mostly screw up the movies - agree but ...The SHINING , IT, Salem's Lot, Carrie, Christine, Pet Sematry and Misery
Watched all Friday the 13th's , back to back one evening in Mini Cine in Hillbrow years ago -at a stage scary isn't scary anymore.
The Omen :eeek:
Rosemary's baby -Mia Farrow at her best
George A Romero's - The Dead movies
Silent hill - but only the 1 st one
Alien - scary sci fi at it's scariest
Train to Busan
Ringu
The Purge - the 1 st one
Quarantine [2008]
My best so far , there is lots more

Cannibal Holocaust- WEIRD SHXT
Salo (not for the sensitive) - this was one of the most shocking movies ever
Stephen King , but they mostly screw up the movies - agree but ...The SHINING , IT, Salem's Lot, Carrie, Christine, Pet Sematry and Misery
Watched all Friday the 13th's , back to back one evening in Mini Cine in Hillbrow years ago -at a stage scary isn't scary anymore.
The Omen :eeek:
Rosemary's baby -Mia Farrow at her best
George A Romero's - The Dead movies
Silent hill - but only the 1 st one
Alien - scary sci fi at it's scariest
Train to Busan
Ringu
The Purge - the 1 st one
Quarantine [2008]
My best so far , there is lots more
Have to disagree about the Stephen King movies (except maybe the original IT and MAYBE the Carrie remake). They screwed the shining up so badly that King refused to speak to Kubrick after the movie was made (they essentially left the entire ending out of the movie).
Agree with everything else on your list, but have never seen Train to Busan or the original Ringu.

DO you like the original or remade Omen better?

Have to disagree about the Stephen King movies (except maybe the original IT and MAYBE the Carrie remake). They screwed the shining up so badly that King refused to speak to Kubrick after the movie was made (they essentially left the entire ending out of the movie).
Agree with everything else on your list, but have never seen Train to Busan or the original Ringu.

DO you like the original or remade Omen better?
King might not have liked The Shining but audiences loved it -

Original Omen [1976], Damian was much more colder and creepier
Train to Busan is a Korean zombie film followed by Peninsula, also good
Ringu became The Ring

Last edited:
King might not have liked The Shining but audiences loved it -

Original Omen [1976], Damian was much more colder and creepier
Train to Busan is a Korean zombie film followed by Peninsula, also good
Ringu became The Ring

Okay I will concede... 90% of The Shining is really good, I’m just still waiting for the ending!

Spiral

Plot: A criminal mastermind unleashes a twisted form of justice in Spiral, the terrifying new chapter from the book of Saw.

Back