Kite aerial photgraphy. (KAP)

blujeenz

Loafing since 2013
LV

Awards
I was busy this past week on the sewing machine making a delta kite. I've been a tad disappointed with the tendency of my box kites to dive to the right with the last failure taking my camera into the sea.
So new camera means new kite.:)
Most of the KAPers seem to use a 2M delta so that's what I decided on.

Finding ripstop in Cape Town was a right exercise in itself. I eventually settled on a heavyish Riptech from Linings and Textiles, 140g per sq metre, as opposed to the good stuff which is around 40g for the same size.
Dont even talk about the required CF spars at R269 each, 4 needed, so over a "gorilla" without shipping, its enough to make your nose bleed.
I settled on garden stakes which are 10mm thin wall steel tubing, they weigh 3g more than the wood dowel version and cost about the same, R29.

delta front.JPG

Flies fine in light winds, 10 to 15kmh today but the kite struggled somewhat with the 460g of the camera and cradle.
Anyhow here's my first decent shot from about 190m up. My setup took 170 pics of which 3 were keepers.
I want more line, but I've yet to find the proper 0.5mm line in Cape Town which doesn't cost R2 per metre.
vryburger.jpg

I was busy this past week on the sewing machine making a delta kite. I've been a tad disappointed with the tendency of my box kites to dive to the right with the last failure taking my camera into the sea.

Finding ripstop in Cape Town was a right exercise in itself. I eventually settled on a heavyish Riptech from Linings and Textiles, 140g per sq metre, as opposed to the good stuff which is around 40g for the same size.
Dont even talk about the required CF spars at R269 each, 4 needed, so over a "gorilla" without shipping, its enough to make your nose bleed.
I settled on garden stakes which are 10mm thin wall steel tubing, they weigh 3g more than the wood dowel version and cost about the same, R29.

View attachment 226177

Flies fine in light winds, 10 to 15kmh today but the kite struggled somewhat with the 460g of the camera and cradle.
Anyhow here's my first decent shot from about 190m up. My setup took 170 pics of which 3 were keepers.
I want more line, but I've yet to find the proper 0.5mm line in Cape Town which doesn't cost R2 per metre.
View attachment 226178

I'm missing something. Where are the potholes in the photograph?

:couch:

View attachment 226177

View attachment 226178
Awesome pic.
I once needed a strong thread and found it at a haberdashery. 0.8mm spun nylon that was incredibly strong. Maybe try That.

Was up the West coast today, so I took my rig along for a try out, I guess 100m isnt too shabby, so I'll live with it seeing as I havent found any alternatives.
Langebaan main beach looking south to Pearly's.
lbecig2.JPG

Back