Lost Vape Grus 100W Box Mod - Review

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Grus 100W Box Mod from Lost Vape. The Lost Vape Grus 100W Box Mod was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Sourcemore.

https://www.sourcemore.com/lost-vape-gru...x-mod.html

Introduction

Like many vapers Lost Vape were my go to brand for lower cost high end devices which accommodated the latest DNA chipsets but since introducing the Quest chip first in the alternative to the DNA Go Orion device they have mainly concentrated on lower priced devices. So in recent times DNA devices have become a rarity (thank goodness for Dovpo) for Lost Vape in preference to their own Quest chipset and moving from a lower end high end manufacturer to a higher end lower end manufacturer making their sister brand Modefined redundant!

The Grus after a few duds is a return to form with build quality that wouldn't look out of place if it had a DNA75C chipset under the hood. With a unique form factor and creative styling the Grus can accommodate either a 21700, 20700 or 18650 battery and accommodate up to a 30mm atomizer while also allowing a MTL smaller tank not to look out of place! The 100w max device has Power, Voltage and basic TC modes while also having 3 function buttons for easy operation, let's check out Lost Vapes best non DNA mod!!!!!

In The Box

Contents:

1pc Grus 100W Mod
1pc 18650 adapter
1pc Type-C Cable
1pc User Manual
1pc Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Grus comes in quite basic cardboard packaging with a picture of the design of choice on the box. I received the Black Walnut Wood version which has a Black chassis and a Walnut Wood inlay either side, it comes in a choice of 3 colour chassis with either Carbon Fiber, Resin or Wood inlays, the options are SS Carbon Fiber, Gunmetal Carbon Fiber, Black Carbon Fiber, SS Zebra Wood, Gunmetal Walnut Wood, Black Walnut Wood, SS Jungle, Gunmetal Puzzling, or Black Marine.

If the device had come with the face on show in the box before lifting the device out i would of thought "here we go again more lack of creativity" as it's identical to the Mirage with round fire button at the top followed by the screen and then 3 rectangular function buttons followed by a Type C USB at the bottom all within a curved elongated pill shaped plastic vertical panel (sound familiar)! But as far as looking like any previous Lost Vape device that's were similarities end as this is such a unique looking design and only wish they could also show this sort of creativity with any new DNA devices which have disappointed in this regard!

The spine like the front is curved making this much more ergonomic than it looks, in fact it feels fantastic in the hand. With a Zinc Alloy main chassis and Stainless Steel both up top and for it's base plate this has a solid feel but is heavy especially for a single battery device. The sides have a raised curve down the centre which then has flat pill shaped inlays, this flattened central curve each side gives the device it's interesting form factor and aesthetic appeal. Up top we have a Stainless Steel cylinder that extends down from the 510 plate, the 510 is spring loaded. On one side of the cylinder we have "GRUS" and "LOST VAPE" printed on the other side.

Moving to the solid Stainless Steel base plate we have etched safety marks and a battery plate with stiffened pull out lever, the plate also has venting. The device is very high quality despite it's reasonable price tag and has no rattles whatsoever!!!

Grus Specs and Features:

Dimension: 94.6*40.5*30.5mm
Battery: Single 21700/20700/18650 battery (not included)
Input Voltage: 3.0V-4.2V
Output Voltage: 0.8V-7V
Power Range: 5-100W
Current Range: 0.3A-30A
Modes: Power, Voltage, Ti, Ni, SS
Temperature Range: 200℉-600℉/100℃-300℃
Screen Pixel: 0.96 inch colour TFT display screen
Body Material: Zinc Alloy
Coil Resistance Supported Range: 0.1ohm-5.0ohm
USB: Type C
Supports 30mm Atomizers
Multiple protections: Short-Circuit/Weak Battery/Over Heat/10S Over-time Protection
Thread: 510
Colour: SS/Carbon Fiber, Gunmetal/Carbon Fiber, Black/Carbon Fiber, SS/Zebra Wood, Gunmetal/Walnut Wood, Black/Walnut Wood, SS/Jungle, Gunmetal/Puzzling, Black/Marine

Fitting the Battery

The Grus has a solid Stainless Steel base plate and an old school style battery plate with fold out lever, we also see venting on the plate which is good to see! The lever is nice and stiff unlike some of this design that can be loose and i must say when unscrewing and retightening the plate the threading is noticeably very smooth. We have a spring loaded contact with + embossed at the bottom of the tube and - is embossed onto the underside of the plate and while in most light the - is easy enough to see i would rather it be in Bright White!

I like this method of installing a battery as you can't damage your battery wraps and is very secure even if it's slightly more time consuming than other methods.

The Grus will accommodate either a 21700, 20700 or 18650 with supplied adaptor, i tried both a 21700 and 18650 and had no battery rattle or movement whatsoever, cracking job!

The Display

The Grus has a bright, colour display with a coloured chevron two thirds down with the area above the chevron being shaded the colour that is set and below Black. The chevron, shaded area, and the words "TIME" and "PUFF" are in whatever colour is selected which will be explained in the next section.

Top left we have the battery status bar and top right the resistance, below we have mode followed by the wattage, voltage or temperature depending which mode you are using. Below the chevron to the left we have the duration of your puff and to the right the puff count, when the device is locked a closed padlock appears between vape duration and your vape count.

Finally at the bottom of the display we have a row of 6 different coloured squares, whichever one is highlighted will represent the colour of the already explained items on the screen! After 10 seconds of inactivity the display dims and after a further 10 seconds turns off but springs into life with a press of any button.

Navigating The Grus

The Grus is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and as mentioned after no activity for 10 seconds the screen dims and if no activity for a further 10 seconds the device goes into sleep mode. When in sleep mode any button press wakes the device up and there is no delay whatsoever when firing the device from sleep mode! The wattage adjusts in 0.1W increments from 5W all the way up to 100W but switches to 1W increments when the button is held down, it scrolls at a decent speed and round robins!

The up and mode (centre button) buttons pressed together locks and unlocks all the function buttons, when locked the device still fires. Down and mode together resets the puff count and each time the mode button is held down for 2 seconds the next colour square at the bottom of the display is highlighted and certain accents and information on the screen becomes that colour, the colour options are Cyan, Yellow, White, Red, Green and Purple.

Unlike the previous Quest devices which were Power only the Grus also has Variable Voltage and basic TC settings. Pressing the mode button highlights the mode and you can then switch between Power (Variable Wattage), Voltage (Variable Voltage), Ni, Ti or SS316 modes, the TC modes do look quite basic as i can't find anyway of either setting wattage or locking in the resistance!

Protections

Short Circuit Protection
Weak Battery Protection
Over Heat Protection
10 Seconds Over-time Protection

Charging

If you do need to charge in the device i am pleased to tell you it has Type C USB but no idea of the charge rate as it isn't in the specs, manual or mentioned on their site, it doesn't support pass-through vaping!

My Thoughts!

I love the look of the device, in fact this is the most creativity i have seen from Lost Vape for a long while and it's build quality is beyond it's price point so i am sure i wouldn't be the only one wishing this had a DNA 75C fitted as the quality is all there and it looks great!!!!

As it is this is without doubt Lost Vapes best non DNA device and the Quest is an excellent Power chip that won't disappoint, not really a TC user with proprietary chipsets but it does seem very basic in that regard but i am sure someone will do a review covering the TC if that's how you vape!

It is heavy but very ergonomic even if it doesn't have a particularly ergonomic look, it fires out the gate and all buttons have a nice click! Being petty i wish the battery orientation was more clearly labelled but i love the style of battery plate used and it has both a nice stiff lever and silky smooth threading.

Up top we can fit up to a 30mm atomizer but unlike most devices that can fit large tanks smaller MTL offerings do not look out of place as i have been using it while testing various MTL RTA's and all have looked good in my opinion. We have a type C USB which is good to see but no idea of the charge rate and the Grus doesn't support pass-through if that's a necessity!

Being able to accommodate a 21700 which gives better top end performance and increased battery life will appeal to many (i must admit single 21700 are my favourite kind of device) but for those that still swear by their trusted 18650's then rock this with one of them using the supplied adaptor, everyone's a winner!

I am still shocked just how solid and well made the Grus is for it's price point which in my opinion makes it a sure fire winner!

Excellent build quality
Unique form factor
Unique aesthetic look
Ergonomic
Choice of 3 chassis colours with either Resin, Carbon Fiber or Wood inlays
Lost Vapes best non DNA Mod (in my opinion)
No rattles or movement from either buttons or installed battery
Battery plate has both stiff lever and silky smooth threading
Accommodate up to 30mm atomizers but smaller atomizers don't look out of place
Buttons all have nice click
Fires out the Gate
User friendly UI
3 Function buttons
Worked without issue during testing
Accommodates 21700, 20700 or 18650 (with supplied adaptor)
Increased battery life and top end performance with 21700
Power, Voltage and basic TC modes
Colour customisable display
Type C USB

Cons

Heavy for single battery device
Very basic TC settings (only matters to TC users)
Could have clearer orientation labelling (quite petty)
No charge rate given, doesn't support pass-through

I would once again like to thank Ella from Sourcemore for supplying the Lost Vape Grus 100W Box Mod for the purpose of this review, thanks for reading and stay safe!

https://www.sourcemore.com/lost-vape-gru...x-mod.html

$26.99 Lost Vape Grus 100W Mod
Code: LVG

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sourcemore or benefit in any way from the use of the above code but was asked if i would include it in my content!

Last edited:
Back