NEW VAPERS: Five Tips to Prevent a Smoking Relapse

Can't stress #1 enough.

I converted 3, but I didn't want to spend their money for them. So while I hinted at the likes of Spinner/MVP with MPT3/Nautilus, two of them chose to go to their nearest mall and pick up Twisps. The other bought a CE4 imitation, battery etc, from a flea market.

It only stuck with one Twisp user, but she was a light smoker anyway. The other two vaped for a week or two and now they're back on smokes.

You do not need to spend a fortune, but you do need something decent in those critical first weeks. I had both CE5's and EVOD tanks when I started. I think if I only had the CE5 it wouldn't have stuck with me. The gurgling and keeping the wick saturated drove me nuts. I liked the CE5, but when it would play up I'd switch to EVOD tank and all would be good.

Great article @Alex
New vapers take note!
These are great tips

Just some of my extra comments on the 5 tips

#1 - Choose the Right E-Cigarette
- make use of the forum here to do some research and don't be afraid to ask if what you are about to buy is considered good.
- There are many experienced vapers here that have gone through tons and tons of kit

#2 Learn how to use your gear correctly
- read the manual if there is one, even if its translated poorly from Chinese
- google your device and check out this forum. You can also use the search facility on this forum to search for your device.
- there are bound to be several people that have lots of experience with your gear and know how to handle some of its quirks

#3 - Always have a back-up
- This one is extremely important if you want to have a good chance of staying off stinkies.
- You will need a full backup when one of your devices goes on the blink or stops performing well
- It usually takes a bit of time to get the underperforming device back on track - so you need a backup
- Having 2 flavours running at the same time is also an important thing in my view so you don't get bored

#4 - Experiment with different flavours
- This is critical. To stop smoking successfully you need to find a few flavours you really love
- Try several brands - start with well priced locally manufactured options and then broaden to the more expensive and more complex premium international ones
- Try sample as many as your budget will afford. Buying 10ml sample bottles is a good idea to get a feeling
- Don't make your decision after the first few puffs. Give each flavour a bit of a chance. You may like it more or less after a while
- Obviously, try things you think you will like - but don't be scared to be a bit adventurous. Often, flavours taste different when you vape them to when you eat them.

#5 - Stay Focused... Don't give up!
- This is important too
- Switching to vaping is relatively easy - but there can be challenges along the way. Running out of juice, equipment failure, adjusting to the new lifestyle.
- Despite it being easy, you still need to have some dedication and willpower - especially for those times when things go wrong. You are after all making a big positive change and with that there are often some hard times.
- When this happens, draw on the strength of this forum. The members here will try help and pull you through.
- Don't give up - it's not worth it - and I can assure you that there are many happy vapers that have made it and won't go bank to stinkies. It is possible and you can do it.

Great article @Alex
New vapers take note!
These are great tips

- make use of the forum here to do some research and don't be afraid to ask if what you are about to buy is considered good.
- There are many experienced vapers here that have gone through tons and tons of kit

#2 Learn how to use your gear correctly
- read the manual if there is one, even if its translated poorly from Chinese
- google your device and check out this forum. You can also use the search facility on this forum to search for your device.
- there are bound to be several people that have lots of experience with your gear and know how to handle some of its quirks

#3 - Always have a back-up
- This one is extremely important if you want to have a good chance of staying off stinkies.
- You will need a full backup when one of your devices goes on the blink or stops performing well
- It usually takes a bit of time to get the underperforming device back on track - so you need a backup
- Having 2 flavours running at the same time is also an important thing in my view so you don't get bored

#4 - Experiment with different flavours
- This is critical. To stop smoking successfully you need to find a few flavours you really love
- Try several brands - start with well priced locally manufactured options and then broaden to the more expensive and more complex premium international ones
- Try sample as many as your budget will afford. Buying 10ml sample bottles is a good idea to get a feeling
- Don't make your decision after the first few puffs. Give each flavour a bit of a chance. You may like it more or less after a while
- Obviously, try things you think you will like - but don't be scared to be a bit adventurous. Often, flavours taste different when you vape them to when you eat them.

#5 - Stay Focused... Don't give up!
- This is important too
- Switching to vaping is relatively easy - but there can be challenges along the way. Running out of juice, equipment failure, adjusting to the new lifestyle.
- Despite it being easy, you still need to have some dedication and willpower - especially for those times when things go wrong. You are after all making a big positive change and with that there are often some hard times.
- When this happens, draw on the strength of this forum. The members here will try help and pull you through.
- Don't give up - it's not worth it - and I can assure you that there are many happy vapers that have made it and won't go bank to stinkies. It is possible and you can do it.

this!!

all important aspects in a nutshell.

Maybe copy and paste the whole article in the OP, @Alex and then make sticky in Newbie Corner?

The reason I'm using links mostly now, is due to that "Please insert a valid message" thing again. I try to use screenshots now to save time. But it's incredibly frustrating spending 20 minutes trying to adjust the text without any joy. Copy and paste doesn't work with this editor very well.

If it wasn't for this Forum and me upgrading very fast to other equipment, I wouldn't have been vaping today.
First kit is very very very important!

If I knew what I know now, this would have been my first setup of choice!
I'm actually thinking of getting this setup for me as well.

Istick with a Nautilus mini.
View attachment 12842

I'm trying to resist the IStick... But the battle is not going well in my head.

The reason I'm using links mostly now, is due to that "Please insert a valid message" thing again. I try to use screenshots now to save time. But it's incredibly frustrating spending 20 minutes trying to adjust the text without any joy. Copy and paste doesn't work with this editor very well.
Ah, thanks....was wondering about that.

Great article @Alex
New vapers take note!
These are great tips

Thank You, exactly what I want to do, just need the advice as to what, have two Twisps, need advice as to what model, make or "mods" to go for.

Many Thanks

I would add to that list go to a proper vape store and explain that you are trying to stop, most likely they will let you test out, unlike online stores. Thats not me trying to discredit online stores, in fact I love them as the range and availablity is better.

And secondly having a easy to use mod with long battery life is a must, most people, don't have the space to carry 2 batteries around

I know I'm only on day 6 of zero cigs, but from 40-50 cigs a day to nothing... Yeah.
I did have a major urge to smoke yesterday so I vaped a 24mg french pipe liquid. Hit me hard, cravings gone.
I have been vaping and smoking so luckily I figured out my preferred taste and devices work for me.
Now, maybe to soon to say this but I don't even want to light one up.

I know I'm only on day 6 of zero cigs, but from 40-50 cigs a day to nothing... Yeah.
I did have a major urge to smoke yesterday so I vaped a 24mg french pipe liquid. Hit me hard, cravings gone.
I have been vaping and smoking so luckily I figured out my preferred taste and devices work for me.
Now, maybe to soon to say this but I don't even want to light one up.

Congrats @shaun patrick on the 6th day!
Wishing you well for day 7

Nice article -- Thanks...

For me, I am not sorry I parted with quite a lot of hard earned cash just to stop consuming carcogenic tobacco and to get a head start on my new venture. I am a bit OCD about reuuning out of batterys, coils and juice, so I have stocked up. I have spent about R4500 in one week just to get three different (amazing) units and the necessary accessories. But it doesnt have to be that expensive. Anyone can start small. I just went a bit overboard and bought a bit hastily. The main reason: I dont want to be in a situation where I am without sifficient gear that I am tempted to buy a pack of coffin nails. At 49 years old and smoking tabacco, on and off, since the age of 12 I simply cannot go back to tobacco. My lungs are probably as black as the night. But in life: "Its never too late.

If you have the money, do it, stick with it. Keep on vaping. It is truly life changing. And, again....spread the good news!

I recently helped some work colleagues to mov to vaping it's always tough for the first few weeks, I know I struggled but as said many time here on the forum it's a journey one step at a time if you do have a stinkie Don't beat yourself up. Just keep working towards not smoking. I'm five months in this time round and doing much better with the better vape gear I have bought. Just taking it one day at a time remember once an addict always an addict. My work colleagues have been vaping for a few weeks now and it's nice to have people going through ththe same thing with you to help you over the bumps.

Back