Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
check this out guys

Saw a tweet by Dr Farsalinos on Twitter

Good news it seems

Another study investigates risk factors associated with Covid-19 outcomes. It shows that ex-smokers are hit harder than smokers. I'm not sure if this study implies anything about vaping, but it gives further evidence that a ban on cigarettes and tobacco as a response to Covid-19 is not supported by science.

OpenSAFELY: factors associated with COVID-19-related hospital death in the linked electronic health records of 17 million adult NHS patients.

I guess I can't post the link due to spam rules?

Another study investigates risk factors associated with Covid-19 outcomes. It shows that ex-smokers are hit harder than smokers. I'm not sure if this study implies anything about vaping, but it gives further evidence that a ban on cigarettes and tobacco as a response to Covid-19 is not supported by science.

OpenSAFELY: factors associated with COVID-19-related hospital death in the linked electronic health records of 17 million adult NHS patients.

I guess I can't post the link due to spam rules?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20092999v1

Full pdf: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20092999v1.full.pdf

Is this the right one?

Is this the right one?

Yes, that's the one. It is a pre-print, so it hasn't been peer-reviewed yet. Still, it's more evidence that a tobacco ban isn't justified.

... even when replying to another post, I still get this error message unless I remove the hyperlinks:

Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.​

Nicotine Is A Protective Shield Against The Insurgence Of Severe Symptoms Of COVID-19. This Is What Emerged With The New Study By CoEHAR
https://www.coehar.org/covid-19-and...troller-of-the-molecular-expression-of-ace-2/
22 Feb. 2021

"Catania, 15 February 2021– Nicotine is a protective shield against the insurgence of severe symptoms of COVID-19. This is what emerged with the new study by CoEHAR and the University of Catania: “The Role of cigarette smoke on ACE-2 protein-membrane expression in bronchial epithelial cells using an air-liquid interface model”.

CoEHAR’s research focused on the likely modulatory effect of smoking on ACE-2 protein expression, which has proved to serve as a likely receptor for the virus to enter into epithelial cells.

CoEHAR was a pioneer in focusing primarily on the process involving the role of the ACE-2 receptor in SARS-CoV-2 infection and as a critical step for the virus to enter the human body. The study underlined the different antiviral responses during the infection between smokers and non-smokers who had ACE-2 high expression levels.

Cigarette smoking may act on the bronchial epithelium selectively, not by blocking a response on the viral infection by activating other genes that trigger different transcriptomic collateral mechanisms” – said Giovanni Li Volti, author of the study and Director of the CoEHAR.

Data may offer a pharmaceutical role of nicotine as a potential treatment option in COVID-19. Hence, the result of this study may provide new insights into the role of ACE-2 in the complex pathophysiology of cardiovascular and lung diseases in smokers.

Being shortlisted by SRNT for this study means acknowledging the role of the CoEHAR in the international scientific research” – prof. Li Volti added speaking of CoEHAR’s award by The Society for Research on Nicotine & Tobacco (SRNT) for the 2021 edition.

Title. The Role of cigarette smoke on ACE-2 protein-membrane expression in bronchial epithelial cells using an air-liquid interface model.
Authors. Massimo Caruso, Alfio Distefano, Rosalia Emma, Michelino di Rosa, Giuseppe Carota, Sonja Rust, Riccardo Polosa, Pietro Zuccarello, Margherita Ferrante, Giuseppina Raciti, Giovanni Li Volti."

Original Link: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2021.652102/abstract

check this out guys

Saw a tweet by Dr Farsalinos on Twitter

Good news it seems

I have a terrible sense of humour. Could it be because they all died before they got to hospital?

Back