Paint job

Zakariya Baker

KΛZE
LV

Awards
A while ago, around when I first got this Istick tc100, I bought a silicon sleeve after inflicting a few pocket scuffs to my mod.

Then something terrible(r?) happened.

My tank leaked into the sleeve, and got soaked up by the paint real good. After cleaning it up, I noticed that paint bubbles, tiny ones like you would find on damp wall paint, popped up and plagued the whole thing. Sure the panels are replaceable, but the core of the mod is ruined. the bubbles are getting rubbed off slowly and leaving terrible marks everywhere.

Sob story aside, I'm interested in DIY'ing this mod back to looking good. Problem is, I have no idea how to go about it. I was hoping that maybe some of you custom mod experts and hardware inclined fellow vapers could help me out in going about perhaps painting this mod? I've read about sanding it down and using a primer to clean it off before applying the paint, but it's nerve wrecking. I really don't want to mess this up. I've got to worry about keeping the internal organs safe and doing it neat.

Any input would embraced with gratitude.

A while ago, around when I first got this Istick tc100, I bought a silicon sleeve after inflicting a few pocket scuffs to my mod.

Then something terrible(r?) happened.

My tank leaked into the sleeve, and got soaked up by the paint real good. After cleaning it up, I noticed that paint bubbles, tiny ones like you would find on damp wall paint, popped up and plagued the whole thing. Sure the panels are replaceable, but the core of the mod is ruined. the bubbles are getting rubbed off slowly and leaving terrible marks everywhere.

Sob story aside, I'm interested in DIY'ing this mod back to looking good. Problem is, I have no idea how to go about it. I was hoping that maybe some of you custom mod experts and hardware inclined fellow vapers could help me out in going about perhaps painting this mod? I've read about sanding it down and using a primer to clean it off before applying the paint, but it's nerve wrecking. I really don't want to mess this up. I've got to worry about keeping the internal organs safe and doing it neat.

Any input would embraced with gratitude.
If it's a zinc alloy mod (die cast) then don't bother painting it, no spray paint will stick to it. Roughing up the surface and priming won't help. There is a whole long complicated chemical reaction that happens between the paint and the metal that creates a "soapy" layer. Hydrocoat isn't an option and neither is Plastidip, sorry boet. Just polish it up and pop the cover back on.

Powder coating would be good option. Obviously you'd need to strip the mod's components completely and each part would need a hole or opening to hang it from.

I'd go with Hamerite's Special metals primer meant for non ferrous metals like zinc aluminium copper etc.
Of the objects I've painted years back, nothing has bubbled or flaked, admittedly I dont hold them in my hand 24/7 though.
I found 2K thinners took off the paint on my Alien fairly easy, so I'd use that and not sanding to remove the rest of the paint.
Judging by the thin layer of cheap factory paint, it had no undercoat and no clearcoat.
I very much doubt the factory went with an expensive paint formula that included etch primer base coat and top coat.
A good primer for non ferrous should definitely put you ahead of the curve compared to the factory, once base coated then its just a question of whether you want a satin or gloss clear coat.
Id use 2K (2 part, color and hardener) paints because after 10yrs my bike's tank still looks good, it was a 2K black satin topcoat and I used 2K satin clear coat to protect the vinyl graphics.
After many hours in the sun and plenty petrol spills from garage attendants, no peeling or fading.
Downside is that its a lot of work to do it right and I'll probably end up vinyl wrapping the rest of my Alien.

I'm thinking maybe a wrap would work out nicely if you don't want to go the paint route. This is also easier to clean up and correct if you mess up the wrap.
Try wrapping a few other items to get the hang of it and then move onto the mod.
You may need some heat for some of the curves and maybe a blade to trim off the edges.

Back