Possible Disposable Issue

Puff the Magic Dragon

Grumpy Old Vaper
LV

Awards
Big Clive has posted a video on a leaking pod that triggered the firing of the disposable during transport. This is not a general disposable problem but is most likely confined to the device in question.

For those of you that don't know Big Clive, he is a highly respected electronics guru with decades of experience. In other words, he is not some or other pimply youth with an opinion.

He mentions, once again, how wasteful disposables are because you throw away a rechargeable battery after only one charge.

I had this happen while it was standing in my "vape stand". https://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/my-cigar-melted.75392/#post-957981
I save all Li-ion's for my diy projects, including this skinny 08500, 260mah one.
I had the batt fail in my smok omnitester a long time ago and replaced it with a 18350. I had to heat the plastic case to get the 18350 to fit and this size would have been a easy drop in if they were available back then.

Anyhow, best way to store them is drip tip facing down with the silicone hygene plug removed so as not to build up internal pressure during weather changes.

It reminds me of the old ego mod/batteries! The top section was just pressure fitted to the main tube so I expect many of you who used them probably sat on one and it came apart! They were/are wired up so crudely which probably explains why twice if I wasn't in attendance when charging there would of been an house fire (why even now when most chargers and modern regulated mods are quite safe I will not leave either charging unattended)! looking at the internals of one of those ego's didn't fill me with any confidence in their safety so I don't suppose many of these disposables will be any different!

We don’t need this sh@t… it only adds to the negative publicity the vaping industry is already suffering from. I really stop making these cheap disposable thingies before a major accident happens

We don’t need this sh@t… it only adds to the negative publicity the vaping industry is already suffering from. I really stop making these cheap disposable thingies before a major accident happens
The problem is it use to be smaller manufacturers that use to release them but now the big names are favouring these to mods or AIO's just take a look at Wotofo's website and that shows you the direction vaping is going in, it's a hammer house of horrors!

The problem is it use to be smaller manufacturers that use to release them but now the big names are favouring these to mods or AIO's just take a look at Wotofo's website and that shows you the direction vaping is going in, it's a hammer house of horrors!

Had a browse through a couple of websites today to see what new-new is on the cards to compare to some "older" releases... disposables.... disposables everywhere... with maybe a tank here, a mod there and a couple of new juice releases in the corner...

The market has completely changed to cater for the disposables and "ease of use" with a handful of podkits/modkits/tanks/mods being brought in at a time just to satisfy the need of the few. Now this is not all the sites I was on, but it is most of them.

Is there something that we as consumers don't know that is brewing in the weird and wonderful realm of vaping?

Does the whole dilemma of Covid, China's ban on flavors and the recent Chinese holidays play a part? For sure it does.

Is there a market for the disposables? Yes, as long as the market is being fed a steady stream of available options.

Who is going to stop it? Not Joe Soap and the rest of the non-disposable consumers.

All we can do is ride the wave out and hope it dies off (even if it is just for a short period of time like the podkits comes and goes every year). But I truly wish this is not the end of a era for us. I mean damn, I just got back on to MTL RTA's again after the Covid hit me, I don't want to go back to NOT VAPING and I will never go back to the stinkie alternative!

Had a browse through a couple of websites today to see what new-new is on the cards to compare to some "older" releases... disposables.... disposables everywhere... with maybe a tank here, a mod there and a couple of new juice releases in the corner...

The market has completely changed to cater for the disposables and "ease of use" with a handful of podkits/modkits/tanks/mods being brought in at a time just to satisfy the need of the few. Now this is not all the sites I was on, but it is most of them.

Is there something that we as consumers don't know that is brewing in the weird and wonderful realm of vaping?

Does the whole dilemma of Covid, China's ban on flavors and the recent Chinese holidays play a part? For sure it does.

Is there a market for the disposables? Yes, as long as the market is being fed a steady stream of available options.

Who is going to stop it? Not Joe Soap and the rest of the non-disposable consumers.

All we can do is ride the wave out and hope it dies off (even if it is just for a short period of time like the podkits comes and goes every year). But I truly wish this is not the end of a era for us. I mean damn, I just got back on to MTL RTA's again after the Covid hit me, I don't want to go back to NOT VAPING and I will never go back to the stinkie alternative!
It's a case of vapers who join forums tend to be hobbyists so don't actually reflect what most vapers use! It's like RTA's and other rebuildables seem very popular because loads of us on forums prefer them and that's no different if I am on here, a global forum or a UK forum but I know if I go to a high street vape shop in the UK they are not selling rebuildables because the majority of vapers (most of which have never visited a vaping forum never mind actually joined one) use stock coil tanks, simple pods or disposables! (And not necessarily in that order of popularity)

100%... even over here there is a vast amount of vapers that prefer Podkits and Stock Coil tanks. I respect that as that is where I started too and still fall back on now and again. Mrs Chuck Norris Lungs are still on the Voopoo Drag Podkits (albeit with SMRT Rebuildable Coils). But even on that front stocks are limited to "old" releases and re-releases. And one forum is not the end all and be all of the vape community nor a reflection of said community.

I also get the other side where markup on a disposable is most likely more than that of a Mod/Kit, so why buy a lot of mods and any type of tank (which might sit on the shelve for a month or two until a consumer has saved up enough money to buy it) when disposables will sell like ice cream on a hot day and the money keeps rolling in at a steady pace.

Disposables are a problem now (for various reasons: danger of misuse, nicotine levels causing addiction, availability to under age market and concealability for them, and the list goes on) and if not kept in check it could backfire across the entire vaping community putting all of us in a bad light. With the current plans of vape-tax increases and bans it is not the kind of thing we need right now and it is just a matter of time before it blows up in our faces (literally and figuratively).

I have to agree with Grand Guru on this! ... After personally examining one closely earlier today, can only add the statement; "hier kom kak" ... They are NOT safe, and they are going to end up adding fuel to our governments already raging fire of regulation / taxation / whatever else these nanas can come up with, and possibly even getting vaping banned completely, based on the safety, (or rather lack thereof), of these devices.
Like a lot of offshoot products, these devices are manufactured literally on the the dregs of componentry, with no safety features to speak of, using under spec'd cells, switches and wire and more, and ... they're getting away with it! ... only because there are no published safety or recycling specs specific to our industry, as well as under the pretext that they are disposable ... and that word itself has hidden undertones ... I'll stop my rant at this point a little shy of a few expletives to drive home a reality check!

Actually they're not cheap. If one uses only a disposable, it works out to be far more expensive than a mod or pod kit and juice. I repeat this constantly to people but they couldn't care less. They want the convenience of a disposable, without having to cart extra coils and juice around with them.

You ask, "Is there something that we as consumers don't know that is brewing in the weird and wonderful realm of vaping?"

Answer: Convenience. Some people will carry a disposable with them as a back-up and that's the way I wish it were! However, many people have switched from mods and pod kits to disposables only.

You ask, "Is there something that we as consumers don't know that is brewing in the weird and wonderful realm of vaping?"

Answer: Convenience. Some people will carry a disposable with them as a back-up and that's the way I wish it were! However, many people have switched from mods and pod kits to disposables only.

I was thinking more in the lines of: "are devices and bottled juice, other than disposables, heading towards redundancy for the control of flavor and nicotine sales...". Once disposables dominate the market it is easy for governments to make the call on the banning of vape gear with the exclusion of closed systems where users cannot control their own usage.... I am no conspiracy theorist and doomsday prepper (except for cotton, I have way too much cotton and promised the Mrs I won't buy any more), but the thought has crossed my mind.

Here is a novel idea.... Vape shops selling disposables should ask customers buying them to return them for "disposal" for a discount on a new one. Bring back 10 and you get one free even.... that way the vape shops can ensure they are disposed off in the correct manner or repatriated by those that can make use of the batteries and casings for other projects and the leftovers can be recycled (metal and plastic). They should also put signs up educating the disposable users on how to dispose of the devices correctly.

These non rechargeable disposables should b bloody banned,advertised as 1600 puffs but after 150 puffs the battery dies lol

IMO the popularity of disposables can be explained by looking at two main factors :

Convenience

Buy it, suck on it, throw it away. What could be easier? They're even easier to use than cigarettes. No matches/lighter, no ash, no major risk of fire, They don't stink, are easy to use while driving etc. They are also easier to use than pods. There is no charging, no refilling, they are smaller, no fire button, no adjustable wattage etc. Let's face it. If you want no-hassle vaping then disposables are a very attractive option. You also don't even have to worry about nic levels. If your disposable is keeping you off smoking then you are good to go.

Lack of knowledge (I'm being as polite as possible here)

The vast majority of people today have no interest in knowing how things work. Test this claim for yourself if you don't believe me. Ask a few people under forty years old how a car's clutch works, why a diesel car doesn't have spark plugs, why getting wet in the rain doesn't make you sick, or how a GPS works. Ask how a generator works, how a fridge keeps your food cold, or why a fan makes you feel cooler. My prediction is that you will be truly amazed by the answers that you receive.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that these people are intellectually challenged in any way. They just don't see any benefit to knowing how things work when you can easily get someone to fix your damaged possession or you just throw it away and buy a new one. An American friend of mine lived in SA for a few years. She, or rather her employee, imported her car to SA. She is extremely intelligent. Two degrees (cum laude) from a top American University. After a few years, her car's engine seized. It was only then that she found out that she should have checked the oil. True Story.

If you think about it, why bother to learn the ins and outs of hobby vaping when you can get 80% of the flavour out of a disposable. They probably don't even know that vapes are available that perform way better than their disposable.

I would probably never regularly use a disposable. I have not bought one yet. I may get one as a backup but I am presently happy with my existing backups.

If we took the time to draw up a list of the pros and cons of disposables I think that many vape hobbyists would have to admit that they have a role to play.

The potential safety issues can be resolved. If you drive a car or take a plane trip to go on holiday I don't think that you can point fingers at disposable users for damaging the environment.

A far better solution would be to use rechargeable pods with refillable tanks. Given what I have said above, I don't think that they will ever become more popular than disposables.

IMO the popularity of disposables can be explained by looking at two main factors :

Convenience

Buy it, suck on it, throw it away. What could be easier? They're even easier to use than cigarettes. No matches/lighter, no ash, no major risk of fire, They don't stink, are easy to use while driving etc. They are also easier to use than pods. There is no charging, no refilling, they are smaller, no fire button, no adjustable wattage etc. Let's face it. If you want no-hassle vaping then disposables are a very attractive option. You also don't even have to worry about nic levels. If your disposable is keeping you off smoking then you are good to go.

Lack of knowledge (I'm being as polite as possible here)

The vast majority of people today have no interest in knowing how things work. Test this claim for yourself if you don't believe me. Ask a few people under forty years old how a car's clutch works, why a diesel car doesn't have spark plugs, why getting wet in the rain doesn't make you sick, or how a GPS works. Ask how a generator works, how a fridge keeps your food cold, or why a fan makes you feel cooler. My prediction is that you will be truly amazed by the answers that you receive.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that these people are intellectually challenged in any way. They just don't see any benefit to knowing how things work when you can easily get someone to fix your damaged possession or you just throw it away and buy a new one. An American friend of mine lived in SA for a few years. She, or rather her employee, imported her car to SA. She is extremely intelligent. Two degrees (cum laude) from a top American University. After a few years, her car's engine seized. It was only then that she found out that she should have checked the oil. True Story.

If you think about it, why bother to learn the ins and outs of hobby vaping when you can get 80% of the flavour out of a disposable. They probably don't even know that vapes are available that perform way better than their disposable.

I would probably never regularly use a disposable. I have not bought one yet. I may get one as a backup but I am presently happy with my existing backups.

If we took the time to draw up a list of the pros and cons of disposables I think that many vape hobbyists would have to admit that they have a role to play.

The potential safety issues can be resolved. If you drive a car or take a plane trip to go on holiday I don't think that you can point fingers at disposable users for damaging the environment.

A far better solution would be to use rechargeable pods with refillable tanks. Given what I have said above, I don't think that they will ever become more popular than disposables.
Make no mistake disposables are super convenient, i bought 1 to check out this "new" technology,having used disposables way back already,i reckon not even 150 puffs into this damn thing tht should have given me 1500 puffs lol the battery died..but yes its super convenient,skat il have to get one of the rechargeable ones for the fun of it

A bit off topic, but I bought a caliburn ak2 pod kit to keep handy as a backup for when I didn't feel like cleaning tanks. Also got some spare pods. Used it for 2 weeks, and it appears that I've accidentally thrown the device away cos it's so small. That's me done with pods and disposables.

Make no mistake disposables are super convenient, i bought 1 to check out this "new" technology,having used disposables way back already,i reckon not even 150 puffs into this damn thing tht should have given me 1500 puffs lol the battery died..but yes its super convenient,skat il have to get one of the rechargeable ones for the fun of it
Lets hope you're technically minded and can open it up and recharge it then, as R1+ a puff seems jus' a tad ridiculous, and certainly exceeds my desire for so called convenience :rolleyes:

Lets hope you're technically minded and can open it up and recharge it then, as R1+ a puff seems jus' a tad ridiculous, and certainly exceeds my desire for so called convenience :rolleyes:
Well tht would defeat the purpose wouldnt it lol,but no i dont jave the patience to open a disposable,tht being said i did take a pliers though and attempt to open it to no avail, 1try was enough lol

I have this vision of landfills ...... with pockets of fires started by thermal runaways of millions of tiny disposable batteries. That will help with global warming right.

Well tht would defeat the purpose wouldnt it lol,but no i dont jave the patience to open a disposable,tht being said i did take a pliers though and attempt to open it to no avail, 1try was enough lol
There ya go ... now hopefully seeing inside one has placated the urge to blow yourself up ;)
20220331_120322.jpg

Going back to the fact the actual battery inside is rechargeable one of Wotofos disposables comes with a whopping 12ml of e-liquid which doesn't get used with one charge so this thing actually has a USB port and comes with a cable yet once that 12ml has gone the device is no good and needs binning (code to youngsters to just throw on pavement), bizarre! They cost £15 as well surely it makes more sense at that price for some one to buy a refillable pod system!

These non rechargeable disposables should b bloody banned,advertised as 1600 puffs but after 150 puffs the battery dies lol
The problem is they can base that puff count on just 0.5 second puffs when an average vapor might take 3.5 seconds puffs! Also how many of these things once they get picked from the warehouse and make their way through the supply chain eventually into customer hands actually have 100% charge, in fact should they even be transported safely with more than 50% charge on them?

I've got a rechargeable disposable with 12ml juice inside it. However, I don't quite see the point of a rechargeable disposable. The whole point of a disposable is that you don't need to do anything with it, other than vape.

Just by the way, the battery on Airspops One Use always runs out before the juice, so it's a waste of money.
I'm sure it does ... I charged the cell fully, and then did a capacity test, (hence my earlier comment of sub standard componentry) ... it barely made half it's rated capacity, and it's CDR is way below what is required for its atty, making it a fire hazard :rolleyes:

As a sidebar ... If anyone in the greater JHB area has any disposables, (used is fine), please dispose of them my way for testing ;)

Back