Question for the coil masters...

CJB85

Enthusiastically Clueless
LV

Awards
I just got a Blotto and decided to throw a single coil build in first, as I have never owned a dual setup before.
I went for a 4mm (wrapped from a wire spool) tri-core fused clapton 3*24/40, 6 wraps that came out to a .49 build. The flavour was decent (38watts), never got dry hits (even some bubbles), but quickly started getting a burnt cotton taste. Ripped the build out tonight and sure enough the cotton had already gone black inside the coil.
Can anyone shed some light for me, please? Is it a case where I had a lot of wire, so needed enough power to get the ramp up, but the high resistance caused too much heat?
Is it simply too much wire with the 4mm coil, period?
I have some quad core fused clapton wire too, which should drop the resistance somewhat, but I don’t want to waste another build if I am missing something important.
TIA.

I just got a Blotto and decided to throw a single coil build in first, as I have never owned a dual setup before.
I went for a 4mm (wrapped from a wire spool) tri-core fused clapton 3*24/40, 6 wraps that came out to a .49 build. The flavour was decent (38watts), never got dry hits (even some bubbles), but quickly started getting a burnt cotton taste. Ripped the build out tonight and sure enough the cotton had already gone black inside the coil.
Can anyone shed some light for me, please? Is it a case where I had a lot of wire, so needed enough power to get the ramp up, but the high resistance caused too much heat?
I have some quad core fused clapton wire too, which should drop the resistance somewhat, but I don’t want to waste another build if I am missing something important.
TIA.

The cotton may be too tight.

The cotton may be too tight.
I used a single lace of 3mm Firebolt cotton, I could move the cotton about with ease, just a little resistance. Could it be that the cotton expands that much when saturated?

I used a single lace of 3mm Firebolt cotton, I could move the cotton about with ease, just a little resistance. Could it be that the cotton expands that much when saturated?

Maybe not then, may be that its not wicking quick enough,a big coil like that will get hot and suck up a lot of juice, IME that's the two things that burn cotton, a hot spot from being too tight and when it doesn't wick quick enough. Hopefully someone else will be able to offer you other solutions.

Maybe not then, may be that its not wicking quick enough,a big coil like that will get hot and suck up a lot of juice, IME that's the two things that burn cotton, a hot spot from being too tight and when it doesn't wick quick enough. Hopefully someone else will be able to offer you other solutions.
Thank you for the help, I am going to try my luck at a dual build first, then revisit the single coil conundrum.

Problem solved! 2x 3mm framed Staples, coming in at .17, 70w and almost too intense flavour, bubbles, no funny tastes, overcast weather!

Had a similar problem...definitely 3 things....hot spot or wicking is too tight and not thinned out a bit.
Coil should be placed inline with airflow as it gets hot fast.
Hope that helps.

Is it a case where I had a lot of wire, so needed enough power to get the ramp up, but the high resistance caused too much heat?
I always assume this is the case, at high wattages, i almost never get that black split cotton, maybe after more than 40mls of liquid if my wicking handles a juices well

TIA.
I would dare to state that the 3mm cotton lace in a 4mm coil resulted in too little cotton. the fibres were not tight enough to transfer juice to the cotton/coil interface allowing this area to run dry and overheat.

Regards

I never put the cotton into the juice holes anymore, I just let them cover the holes. It works when going into the holes but it's finicky with too much cotton in the holes restricting the flow when the cotton expands - dryish hits and burnt cotton.

/edit. Just to be clear, this method works very well for me for ease of wicking, don't have to worry about thinning out tails etc, flavour and never a dry hit or burnt coil and no flooding.

It may flood when you fill it if your air holes are open, close air and keep finger or thumb on driptip while filling and it won't ever flood.

Last edited:
Did your Blotto leak when you filled the tank? I also got one recently and keep having it leak on me. Picks of re-wick I did yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_111827.jpg
    IMG_20200611_111827.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200611_112141.jpg
    IMG_20200611_112141.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200611_112347.jpg
    IMG_20200611_112347.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200611_112644.jpg
    IMG_20200611_112644.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 39
Did your Blotto leak when you filled the tank? I also got one recently and keep having it leak on me. Picks of re-wick I did yesterday.
I'd be interested in this issue as well. Was looking at the Blotto a coupla days ago but what I didn't like is the screw off/screw on filling cap which will create pressure on the juice when you screw it back on, forcing it into the chamber. Similar to the Griffin (was it? I think) I've always thought that was really bad design, theres nowhere for the juice to go except into the coil chamber. Unless you do turnitupsidedown tricks.

I'd be interested in this issue as well. Was looking at the Blotto a coupla days ago but what I didn't like is the screw off/screw on filling cap which will create pressure on the juice when you screw it back on, forcing it into the chamber. Similar to the Griffin (was it? I think) I've always thought that was really bad design, theres nowhere for the juice to go except into the coil chamber. Unless you do turnitupsidedown tricks.

Jip, the turning upside down thing with every fill is a pain in the neck!

None, 3 refills later and still bone dry. Wicking like a dream at 65 watts and flavour for days. How far below the wick ports are your tail ends? That juice well is super deep, so I took care to get them almost to the bottom and made sure that there are zero holes in the wick port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is only a quarter turn, so not much pressure change (like that pesky Berserker V1).

None, 3 refills later and still bone dry. Wicking like a dream at 65 watts and flavour for days. How far below the wick ports are your tail ends? That juice well is super deep, so I took care to get them almost to the bottom and made sure that there are zero holes in the wick port.

Look at the pics I posted, I was pretty generous with the cotton

This is only a guess (I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination), but I think these might be part of your leaking problem?
289b38ee1835d49354306a20d720256d.jpg

It is only a quarter turn, so not much pressure change (like that pesky Berserker V1).

Yea, But it still builds pressure and the juice must go somewhere. Its why I hated the Griffin. I have 4 OBS Nano's, the best tanks IMHO, simply because of its filling system. I was hoping for a bit more flavour though, but I've got a bunch of tanks that got canned just for these design flaws. Messy filling, especially if you have to fill 5+ times a day is a big no no for me.

Pity that. Maybe the Intake, dunno. Oh no, the intake's the same. I'll stick with me trusty OBS Nano's

I'll watch this thread, I'd still like to try the Blotto for flavour.

Last edited:
I found with my Blotto that it is forgiving with a dual coil and the wicks. Big single coil and I got flooding and leaking.

Jai Haze wicks the Blotto by taking the tail and turning it back up on itself. This solved the problem with the single coil. I also found that 2.5mm coils work better than 3 mm on a dual and that they wick better.

I also tend to space my coils in the Blotto, no dry hits or burnt cotton. I get weeks and weeks before I need to clean and rewick but it did take a good few attempts to get it right for me.

Back