REO - The Basics

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
So, as promised, let me give all those that might be interested a list you need to consider when buying a Reo Grand and Reomizer2. Do know that you run the real risk of never wanting and having to buy another vaping device. Web site: www.reosmods.com. Payment via credit card. Shipping @ $48.00 - fast, insured, to be signed for shipping. Do not use the cheaper shipping options - experience has shown it is totally unreliable.
www.vapourmountain.co.za also now stock Reos locally, at reasonable prices.
  1. The must haves:
    1. Reo Grand (in your choice of colour or colour combination):
      1. Standard Reo Grand @ $146.00
      2. LP (Low Profile) Reo Grand @ $161.00. The catch cup is 3 mm lower than on the standard Grand. This widens your choice of atomizers that you can put on the Reo considerably. Now fitted with stainless steel, adjustable 510 connection. This is a much better buy than the Standard Reo Grand.
      3. The Grand is not a big mod and is a nice hand fit. It takes a 6 ml juice bottle and a 18650 battery. If you prefer even smaller the Reo Mini is an option. It takes a 18500 battery and a 3 ml juice bottle. Price is the same as for the Grand.
    2. Reomizer2:
      1. For the standard Reo @ $43.00
      2. For the LP (low profile) Reo @ $ 43.00 (So, same price but modded differently to fit.) Most of the the other atomizers you can get for cheaper locally. Popular ones are the Atomic and the Odin. www.vapeclub.co.za sells those and offers a free bottom feed modding service. The RM2 is very easy to build and has a ceramic deck - a must have atomizer to start off with.
    3. IMR or INR 18650 batteries for the Grand and 18490 or 18500 batteries for the Mini. Button top or flat top. Not stocked by Reosmods.
    4. Charger, not stocked by Reosmods. Most Reonauts use the Nitecore Intellicharger.
  2. The recommended:
    1. Reo repair kit @ $25.00 (you probably will never need it, but it is expensive to have to ship your Reo to the USA for repairs). It includes a spare hot spring. With the new stainless steel adjustable connection, a full repair kit not available for it and probably not necessary. In stead get a spare positive contact ($5) and a spare hot spring ($5) - repair kits for these now available at Reosmods for $16.00. For the different models of Reos there are different spares available on the Reosmods site.
    2. Rba o rings (1.omm and 1.5mm x 10mm) at $0.25 each. These fit between the rba and the 510 connection to make 150 % sure no leaking occurs and helps one to align the rba. Get at least 4 (2 of each size) for they are small and black and loose easily.
    3. Post screws for the rba at $1.00 for two. Get 2 extra, they are small and get lost in a flash.
    4. You get 2 x 6ml (3ml for the Mini) bottles with your basic order. Get some extras for swapping juices even more easily. At least 6 extra is my recommendation, even more if you like to try many juices. One is $0.65.
    5. The Reo door uses 4 little magnets to hold it in position. These do come loose sometimes. Also small, so can get lost if one of them comes loose. Good idea to order 2 extra @ $0.50 each.
Note that all mods on the site now have the beryllium copper gold plated firing mechanism and spring. This means you can go very low in resistance on you coils. These contacts must not be filed as it will damage the gold plating.

Another option is Super Light (SL) Reos which are lighter (and more expensive) than the standard Reos. To achieve this a pattern of slots are drilled into the body and door.

Each Reo is milled from a solid block of aluminium. This is a no nonsense, almost unbreakable mod, giving you all the benefits of dripping without the hassle of dripping.

Questions are more than welcome, none shall be trivial enough.

HD POV video walking you thru the major improvements to the 2015 REO grand that make it the most capable, durable, versatile and simple REO ever built. This mechanical mod is built to last a lifetime, handling the rigorous demands of the educated sub ohm vaper running today's hottest 22mm RDA's yet simple enough for the noob running higher resistance setups to get a world class vape right out of the box.

How strong is the Reo:

And here are some coil building videos for your Reo. The first one is the easiest way, the others are micro coil - little bit more involved. The LP Reo can take many more atomizers. Check out the threads here in Reoville, e.g. The Odin Thread, The Atomic Thread, etc.

The rebuild part of this video does not apply to Reos with the new SS adjustable 510 connections.

REO GRAND REBUILD - HD POV & COUNTING THE TURNS FOR FOOLPROOF NIPPLE TIGHTNESS - This video does not apply to Reos with the new SS adjustable 510 connectors.

How to avoid shorting your Reo and what to do if you do:

These videos are applicable to Reos with the new SS adjustable 510 connections.

Woodvil 2015 maintenance

2016 P 67 Reo Grand maintenance

Last edited:
thank you for this @Matthee

let the saving begin

(so all in all, the total comes to roughly $280.00- with all accessories listed above)

Excellent post @Matthee !

Perhaps I would like to add just a few notes for those considering the Mini versus the Grand

Bottom line - if you are only buying one, I would suggest you go for the Grand.
- you get double the juice capacity (6ml vs 3ml)
- you get more than double the battery life (18650 vs 18490 batt)
- the Grand is not much bigger (ex atomiser normal profile its 93mm tall vs the Mini 79mm. Width is 44mm vs 38mm for the Mini, they are both the same depth - about 24mm)

However, if you want it for portability, let me say that the Mini, although not much smaller, just fits better in small bags and in pockets. I also love the feel of the Mini in my hand. Bit of a personal thing.

But considering the above, I would have to say if in doubt and its your first REO, go for the Grand.

Does it have to be a drip atomiser?
Does the bottle tube have a fitting that screws onto the bottom of the atomiser/clearomiser/whatever?
Why do the magnets come loose? Right epoxy, they would never come off.

Does it have to be a drip atomiser?
Does the bottle tube have a fitting that screws onto the bottom of the atomiser/clearomiser/whatever?
Why do the magnets come loose? Right epoxy, they would never come off.

Have to be a bottom feed RDA or standard RDA (if you are willing/capable to drill holes or grind slots). You can also use any RBA, but that will defeat the design objective.

No the tube fits inside the REO to the 510 centre pin to enable juice to flow into the RDA from the bottom when you squonk (press bottle).

Some users drop the sliding doors on hard surfaces and that seems to be the cause of magnets falling/popping out. I agree, if epoxy'd it should never pop out.

Ok, let's try get some science behind this. Some one in another thread asked why the Reo is so fantastic. I can't answer as I don't own one. Answers like: " throat hit and flavour are just awesome" aren't good enough.

The facts:

It's a mech mod.
It uses its own atomiser.
You tickle her to squirt juice.

The unknown:

What makes it awesome?

The mod itself surely can't have a bearing on the awesomeness. Unless aesthetics can change flavour etc. The only conclusion I can come up with is the reomiser.

Obviously your coil you build will influence th and flv. But is it the shallow deck and shape of the atty that makes it that much better? Why can't this be achieved with another dripper?

Sorry for the long post and I hope someone can clear this up or add to it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ok, let's try get some science behind this. Some one in another thread asked why the Reo is so fantastic. I can't answer as I don't own one. Answers like: " throat hit and flavour are just awesome" aren't good enough.

The facts:

It's a mech mod.

The unknown:

What makes it awesome?

The mod itself surely can't have a bearing on the awesomeness. Unless aesthetics can change flavour etc. The only conclusion I can come up with is the reomiser.

Obviously your coil you build will influence th and flv. But is it the shallow deck and shape of the atty that makes it that much better? Why can't this be achieved with another dripper?

No, it is not the Reomizer. I have a Cyclone on the Reo, just as good as the Reomizer. There are so many factors that make the Reo awesome. I shall list what comes to mind, other Reonauts can add.
  1. It gives you a dripper experience without the hassle of dripping. Fresh juice on your wick all the time.
  2. It is a very simple, but very convenient mod.
  3. The Grand takes a full 6 ml of juice, available on tap.
  4. Easy to maintain.
  5. Almost unbreakable - milled from a solid block of aluminium.
  6. Filling and switching juices compared to Kayfuns and the like is an absolute breeze.
  7. Very flexible (resistance range, coil positioning, wicking material, etc.) to accomodate your sweet spot.
  8. Easy to clean.
  9. Hot spring for safety.
  10. Gold plated contacts.
Those are just a few factors. Let us see what the other Reonauts come up with.

Sorry @Matthee but none of those points explain how it produces great taste or throat hit. Nearly all those points are convenience related.

Sorry @Matthee but none of those points explain how it produces great taste or throat hit. Nearly all those points are convenience related.

The very first point - a dripper experience, which equates to the things you mention, not so?

The very first point - a dripper experience, which equates to the things you mention, not so?

So then if I'm vaping on a simple igo-l and you on the rm2 with the exact same coil, wick, juice,air flow, fresh batteries etc. We are tasting the same?

So then if I'm vaping on a simple igo-l and you on the rm2 with the exact same coil, wick, juice,air flow, fresh batteries etc. We are tasting the same?

Of course not, but both will be a dripper experience.

The facts:

It's a mech mod.

The unknown:

What makes it awesome?

Hi @crack2483 - I know where you are coming from since I was asking the same questions.

I think I may be able to help you to understand

My IGO-L dripper (a very basic dripper) has almost the exact same flavour and throat hit as the REO/RM2
Naturally, the reason is because they are very similar.
They are both drippers.

I have set up my IGO-L against the REO/RM2 with 5Pawns Bowdens Mate and the flavour and throat hit are virtually identical. (after some tinkering and tuning with the coil resistances)

That IGO-L experience I have had is the best vape I had (flavour and throat hit wise) until I got the REO. The REO is now equal to that.

Only thing is that the REO sits permanently on my desk or in my man bag and I can take a vape whenever I want with just a quick squonk instead of dripping. So there is nothing special from the vape itself - just that its as good as a well set up dripper but with the convenience of an onboard tank.

To me the REO is therefore a winner - its like a permanent dripper.

It also has several other benefits to it as well

Hope that helps

EDIT - when I said "there is nothing special from the vape itself" i should have said "nothing special over and above a very well set up top class dripper"

REOnot: People who have no REOs, desire no REOs
REOnaught: People who desire REOs yet have no REOs
REOnaut: People who have REOs
REOnuts-people who have 30 REOs!!!

"
[?]Scottyzedinosaur 2 points 10 days ago

I don't know, it's been that way in my experience. I used to have a ton of mods, I've since sold most of them because of the Reo. I have two mods now- a cloud setup (Copper Caravela with Atomic) and a daily setup. (Reo)

[?]davelogGrand / Mini 2.0 1 point 8 days ago

Ditto. I have a smallish pile of mods and gear that aren't REOs, but they're just for the hobbyist aspect of vaping. My REOs are what gets used for the business end of vaping, keeping me in a near-constant state of nicotine bliss. 99 percent of the actual time I'm vaping, it's on a REO. For me, yes. The end-all be-all.

I could happily do without the rest, not so without a REO.

Yes. Now we getting somewhere lol. Ok so ( and maybe we need some more reonaughts opinions) it is 90% convenience awesome and a mystery 10% other factor influence?

I'm only asking this because I'm tired of leaking tanks and have been dripping adv for almost two weeks now. I don't find the dripping too inconvenient. It's pretty quick to pop the top and top up. For me anyway. I find it a little ludicrous to drop (a total of) 3k on one device. Sorry Reonaughts if it sounds like trying to find fault with your ladies.

I agree with @Silver. I don't think that the Reo is a better Vape than on a dripper with the same coil, coil position, same wick etc.
Only have experience with Reo for a day now, but I think the most important thing about the Reo is the convenience.
I had numerous Bad Vape days with bottom coil atomizers (Evod, Protanks,) as well as Kayfun & Taifun.
Leaking, Juice in the mouth, gurgling, etc.
This is not that I didn't still enjoy Vaping but there were every now and then some kind of niggle.
Today was the first day that I was able to Vape without any ISSUES, all day long, and that was with the Reo.
To me this is what makes the Reo special.
Good quality Vape without any niggles. :rock:

@crack2483 just my 2c: I compared the RM2 on the Reo and the RM2 (blocked drain hole) on a mech. The immediate difference was after a couple of drip shots on the mech. On the mech the juice don't drain as on the Reo and definitely gives further vaping a "cooked juice" flavour which I don't get on the Reo (and the same would apply on other bottom fed mechs), but thats just my opinion.

Yes. Now we getting somewhere lol. Ok so ( and maybe we need some more reonaughts opinions) it is 90% convenience awesome and a mystery 10% other factor influence?

I'm only asking this because I'm tired of leaking tanks and have been dripping adv for almost two weeks now. I don't find the dripping too inconvenient. It's pretty quick to pop the top and top up. For me anyway. I find it a little ludicrous to drop (a total of) 3k on one device. Sorry Reonaughts if it sounds like trying to find fault with your ladies.

Perhaps I can help you here, sure it's alot of money to spend when you can get a nemi and a KFL clone for a third of the price. That was my initial reaction based on seeing a few REO vids etc. But do remember it's an original device, and in that context is not expensive. How much does an original Nemi, Kayfun, or whatever go for?

I think that if you're looking for a device that will last possibly for you lifetime. It's cheap as chips.

Since I collected my reo, I have hardly touched any of my other mods, I don't have any issues with leaking tanks, vacuum leaks going in and out of a hot car with the tanks, messy drippers, the list goes on. Not to mention the flavour from the Reomizer is awesome.

I haven't tried the IGO-L, and if it's as good as the RM2 I'll def be getting one. All I can say is this, once you have a reo and use it for awhile, it's really hard to go back to anything else. IMHO.

Last edited:
@crack2483 just my 2c: I compared the RM2 on the Reo and the RM2 (blocked drain hole) on a mech. The immediate difference was after a couple of drip shots on the mech. On the mech the juice don't drain as on the Reo and definitely gives further vaping a "cooked juice" flavour which I don't get on the Reo (and the same would apply on other bottom fed mechs), but thats just my opinion.

I was also thinking along the same lines, but not having a device to compare I couldn't be sure, I guess that's why the reo boffs advise using a very short wick.

I like @Silver's explanation... I can't really speak for drippers because I never really tried them much because I thought it was a painful way of vaping but he makes sense... I also like @johan's juice cooking with no drainage hole explanation as well.

But one thing I do know is all my commercial tanks like my much loved Nautilus's and mPT3's are all sparkling clean in my little desk tidy goodie... the Aerotank Mega has juice in it because I'm testing it... and my Russian 91% is full and ready as a back up that I took with on my trip to CT...

Kiera the Woodvil 18490 has pure Menthol Ice in it.
Erica the Grand has Menthol Ice with Coconut and is the work horse
And Amanda the LP Sub Ohm Grand has pure Menthol Ice in with a ,67 Ohm coil for blasting my face off when I need it!

As a current Reonaught that has been battling with the same questions, here is my reasoning behind finally admitting that I do want, nay, need a Reo.

I love my Russian and Kayfun to bits, but they are a PITA if you get the wick wrong and you are sitting there with a tank full of juice you have to work around to fix the wick. Switching flavours takes a bit of work. Small annoyances, but justifiable considering how satisfying the vape is.

Next in line is a decent RDA. There is absolutely no question that a dripper provides a heck of a vape once it's dialed in. Dripping and driving isn't a good idea. Carrying a juice bottle with you isn't too bad. Switching flavours and changing wicks is a breeze. Once again, the issues are annoying, but not insurmountable.

Enter the Reo. A single, convenient package that provides the supremely satisfying vape and easy access of a dripper, but adds the convenience of a tank that can be swopped out on the fly. The best of both worlds.

Since this is an original mod and not a clone, the price is also relatively easy to justify. In comparison, a genuine Nemesis alone will cost the same or more than a Reo Grand plus RM2. As will a Sigelei 20W plus a genuine Russian.

tl;dr The allure of the Reo is not one single aspect, it's the package. It seems to be one of those rare items where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.
??

Back