Should I consider Temperature Control?

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
Temperature Control (TC) is all the rage now. Vendors proclaim it to be the future of vaping. Perfect for new vapers. Most mods coming out now are TC mods.

On the other hand I see daily reports on forums of vapers saying it is not for them. @Paulie posted this just the other day:

"I wont use TI and Ni200 anymore until i see detailed tests as there is now talk about Ni200 leaking into your juices cause the wire does not oxidise when it heats up! I wont use TI cause the is a massive risk attached to is that if it heats up to hot you get poisonous elements that can be inhaled associated with it! Alot of people will say yes but it will never get to that temp but i have seen plenty of mine and others using temp mode devices not working effectively and things can go very wrong quick!".

Where did this all start? There seems to be general consensus that the flawed formaldehyde paper triggered this trend.

What are the benefits of TC? No dry hits if you set it up right. The same consistent vape throughout. No juice cooking in your tank or dripper. From all accounts the vape is very similar to the vape on Kanthal. I have yet to come across anyone saying the vape is better, different yes, but not better.

And the cons? Coiling and wicking is certainly not easier than Kanthal. If you build your own coils, you will be building much more frequently than with Kanthal. Nickel (Ni) is soft and springy and cannot be torched or dry burned. From a technical point of view Ni is not a good wire for TC - the resistance is just too low. Many have reported an adverse reaction to NI. Titanium is better from a technical perspective, but can only be torched/dry burned under controlled conditions to prevent poisonous substances forming. In addition you have to go through extra steps to setup your TC atomizer on your TC mod. The experts agree that eventually, neither Ni nor Ti will be the preferred wire for TC. Maybe Stainless Steel or NiFe 48. Here is quite an informative thread on ECF in this regard.

Is it perfect for someone new to vaping. Certainly not if the intention is to use an RBA. And the dud ratio on commercial TC coils is extremely high at this stage. For my money TC vaping is just too complicated to recommend to new vapers at the moment.

Personally, I have tried Ni and Ti. Ni is really not a pleasure to work with. With Ti I am constantly worried that I will get some of the poisonous stuff. Yes, it works - no dry puffs, but then with Kanthal any vaper (if paying attention) can feel a dry puff a mile away. Imo the incidence of dry puffs is such that we should not be worried.

My advice: Stay with Kanthal for the time being. It is tried and tested and has been used since the beginning of vaping. At least we have a medium term reassurance that it has no detrimental effects if used correctly. TC vaping is in its infancy and in a development phase. The TC mod and TC wire you buy now, might not be the eventual standard.

Last edited:
Temperature Control (TC) is all the rage now. Vendors proclaim it to be the future of vaping. Perfect for new vapers. Most mods coming out now are TC mods.

On the other hand I see daily reports on forums of vapers saying it is not for them. @Paulie posted this just the other day:

"I wont use TI and Ni200 anymore until i see detailed tests as there is now talk about Ni200 leaking into your juices cause the wire does not oxidise when it heats up! I wont use TI cause the is a massive risk attached to is that if it heats up to hot you get poisonous elements that can be inhaled associated with it! Alot of people will say yes but it will never get to that temp but i have seen plenty of mine and others using temp mode devices not working effectively and things can go very wrong quick!".

Where did this all start? There seems to be general consensus that the flawed formaldehyde paper triggered this trend.

What are the benefits of TC? No dry hits if you set it up right. The same consistent vape throughout. No juice cooking in your tank or dripper. From all accounts the vape is very similar to the vape on Kanthal. I have yet to come across anyone saying the vape is better, different yes, but not better.

And the cons? Coiling and wicking is certainly not easier than Kanthal. If you build your own coils, you will be building much more frequently than with Kanthal. Nickel (Ni) is soft and springy and cannot be torched or dry burned. From a technical point of view Ni is not a good wire for TC - the resistance is just too low. Many have reported an adverse reaction to NI. Titanium is better from a technical perspective, but can only be torched/dry burned under controlled conditions to prevent poisonous substances forming. In addition you have to go through extra steps to setup your TC atomizer on your TC mod. The experts agree that eventually, neither Ni nor Ti will be the preferred wire for TC. Maybe Stainless Steel or NiFe 48. Here is quite an informative thread on ECF in this regard.

Is it perfect for someone new to vaping. Certainly not if the intention is to use an RBA. And the dud ratio on commercial TC coils is extremely high at this stage. For my money TC vaping is just too complicated to recommend to new vapers at the moment.

Personally, I have tried Ni and Ti. Ni is really not a pleasure to work with. With Ti I am constantly worried that I will get some of the poisonous stuff. Yes, it works - no dry puffs, but then with Kanthal any vaper (if paying attention) can feel a dry puff a mile away. Imo the incidence of dry puffs is such that we should not be worried.

My advice: Stay with Kanthal for the time being. It is tried and tested and has been used since the beginning of vaping. At least we have a medium term reassurance that it has no detrimental effects if used correctly. TC vaping is in its infancy and in a development phase. The mod and wire you buy now, might not be the eventual standard.

Great Thread @Andre !

Lots of people always ask me why i never use temp control and for me there are to many variables unexplained and as you posted above there are some experts in the industry are not convinced that Ni200 and Ti are safe to use. I am also not a fan building with Ni200 and also dont like the whole limiting build options you get (spacing etc)

For me my perfect vape is N80 its a great wire to work with and the flavour and ramp up times are a improvement to kanthal for me.

Good read @Andre

I've been waiting for someone to bring this up.

I have 2 TC devices but I've only ever used TC when I just got the devices. Like most of us I wanted to see what the hype was about. Sadly there is no hype (in my opinion). TC sucks (unless I'm doing something wrong).

I love my kanthal builds and I think I'll stick to that for now.

I'll stay with my stainless steel wire vaping. Awesome. I do use kanthal also now and then, but mostly SS now and don't care about temp control devices.

I have both set up ... TC at 580 and 40watts on the eleaf and 35w on the Evic vt.. these are my observations .. the TC is a consitant vape,same everytime,never fails,reliable, what I would call an everyday smoke,bit like a packet of smokes,same everytime I pull one out of the packet and the flavour never changes.. with the EVIC vt it's what I would call my stress reliever for that moment when I have had a bloody stressed hour or two.. I can ramp it up press that button and vape to death.. I get a big hit when I need it and a different flavour even though the two mods have the same juice...

Attachments

• 1442917141051-173328042.jpg
    1442917141051-173328042.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 41
I'll stay with my stainless steel wire vaping. Awesome. I do use kanthal also now and then, but mostly SS now and don't care about temp control devices.
Please start a thread for us with more details. Which SS wire - 316/317/304, gauges you use, where to buy from, torching, dry burning, coiling tips, etcetera. Have been curious about SS.

Please start a thread for us with more details. Which SS wire - 316/317/304, gauges you use, where to buy from, torching, dry burning, coiling tips, etcetera. Have been curious about SS.

Yes please do tell. It's definitely something I'm willing to try

Tried TC and haven't been very impressed thus far. I believe if you wick properly there is no real need for TC. I haven't found any improvements in flavour.

I do agree that it is ideal for beginners. Cause dry hits and burning wicks can be frustrating.

That being said as you become more experienced you can hear what your coil and wick is doing and control you gaping accordingly.

Most mods coming out are TC and the price is constantly coming down from when they were first released as with any tech. If you looking for a new mod grab a TC mod and give it a go, it might be for you. Unfortunately/fortunately all vapers are different and have different tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reason why I would be interested in TC at this point would be for 'no dry hits'.

But squonking combats this. I've probably had less than 5 dry hits in two months, and its been the beer's fault, distracting me.

I haven't had a try hit in a very long time since using the "Scottish roll" and multicore clapton coils. I can "feel" it coming two or three toots early. That's on my dripper and my squonker. I think experienced vapers should be able to tell when they near a dry hit imo.

Thank you @Andre for the very informative original post.
Very very well put together
Much appreciated!!

To be honest, TC still has a way to go.

Most mods over shoot their calculations when it comes to heat and power. The only time I will take TC seriously is when they can get a actual heat sensor in the atty to be dead accurate. ( This could be sooner then we think)

As for the Ni200 and Ti01 metals we use when building temp control.

Ni200 - So hard to build with, spacing of coils annoy me to pieces, and the build up of gunk is so fast you need to rebuild way to often...
As far as health goes. I dont know how much of the nickle is being put in my body or what other chemicals it might produce whilst heated. Id really like to see more tests done.

Ti01 (titanium) - This is known to be the healthiest option so far when it comes to vaping in general. Most of the dry herb and dab devices use titanium and ceramic coils to heat the "herb".
With Ti, I am constantly worried that I will get some of the poisonous stuff.
Iv read that the only time poisonous stuff is released, is when the wire has been over heated and has actually popped. Titanium will pop and melt down at certain temp.
It is still known as the best material to use in terms of health. Unless im missing something!

I really would like to get hold of titanium asap to give it a go. Hopefully it can make my TC experiences alot more enjoyable as Ni200 is just annoying me.

But as far as Im going. Kanthal is for me until they have something seriously unique to bring to the table. I want Some serious quality and less degradation of the wire once heated. But I can probably bet with the speed that vaping is growing and the products being released lately. Im sure a nice alloy will be coming soon. along with that temp sense in the atty :ANGEL:

I quite like TC. Yes, I'm in the minority here...

But... I'm not vaping with either Ni & Ti until we have some conclusive yay/nay out there with regards to the health aspects. Innokin are doing Kanthal TC (or so they say), I'm guessing we will see more vendors jumping on that bandwagon soon enough and the mods will generally move into a different direction.

I will give it 6 or so months and have a re-look at where we are, until then I'm not doing SS or any other wire nor am I investing in any TC mods that are doing things with different wires. I'm tired of being an early adopter and guinea pig on things that may or may not be bad for me.

I quite like TC. Yes, I'm in the minority here...

But... I'm not vaping with either Ni & Ti until we have some conclusive yay/nay out there with regards to the health aspects. Innokin are doing Kanthal TC (or so they say), I'm guessing we will see more vendors jumping on that bandwagon soon enough and the mods will generally move into a different direction.

I will give it 6 or so months and have a re-look at where we are, until then I'm not doing SS or any other wire nor am I investing in any TC mods that are doing things with different wires. I'm tired of being an early adopter and guinea pig on things that may or may not be bad for me.
Yip, I think we actually agree. TC could be worthwhile, but not at this stage. Better, for your purse and your health, to wait until we have a settled standard(s) imho. Also looking forward to that Kanthal TC and how that pans out.

Evening guys and gals... just spent an hour flicking through thee net about TC and the whole nickel is not safe debate.. found a couple articles saying it's not Safe but none of it backed by any studies.. did find this blog though which offers some hard facts not scientific but seems logical...
http://www.wakeandvape.com/blog/regarding-nickel-concerns-and-vaping/

Last edited:
Also in the minority here it seems, but it looks like I'm taking one for the team.

I like the aspects provided by TC, so have a Subtank mini set up with Ni200. I don't vape at higher than 220 deg C, and also change coils when I wick. You cannot really dry-burn Ni200 on most mods to clean it, which is likely a blessing in disguise. It's also not the only tank / mod combo that I use, so is used about 30-50% of the day.

I hope? / trust? that at lower temperatures no serious oxidation is taking place. I also don't think my tanks are full long enough to allow nickel to leach into the joose. I do wash my tanks as well, so hopefully it gets rid of some residues and other unknown microbes etc. I also would like to know what the chances are that I'm slowly poisoning myself with heavy metals now instead of the old-fashioned method of burning tobacco leaves and other agents.

I cannot be alone, and it would be interesting to know if any of the other Ni200 users experienced any odd symptoms like allergic reactions, headaches, non-silvered nausea etc ?

Using Ti sound even worse at higher temps than Ni200. Are we all 100% certain that Kanthal is safe ?

Also in the minority here it seems, but it looks like I'm taking one for the team.

I like the aspects provided by TC, so have a Subtank mini set up with Ni200. I don't vape at higher than 220 deg C, and also change coils when I wick. You cannot really dry-burn Ni200 on most mods to clean it, which is likely a blessing in disguise. It's also not the only tank / mod combo that I use, so is used about 30-50% of the day.

I hope? / trust? that at lower temperatures no serious oxidation is taking place. I also don't think my tanks are full long enough to allow nickel to leach into the joose. I do wash my tanks as well, so hopefully it gets rid of some residues and other unknown microbes etc. I also would like to know what the chances are that I'm slowly poisoning myself with heavy metals now instead of the old-fashioned method of burning tobacco leaves and other agents.

I cannot be alone, and it would be interesting to know if any of the other Ni200 users experienced any odd symptoms like allergic reactions, headaches, non-silvered nausea etc ?

Using Ti sound even worse at higher temps than Ni200. Are we all 100% certain that Kanthal is safe ?
ti is used for medical implants so I think that says something, all though vapeing it is different

Good Morning. I have followed this post, for one reason. Got hold of a decent tc mod, and a billow v2. Try to build a nickel coil, geeeeez what a battle, keep cutting the legs. Went back to kanthal, same mod and tank, love it for a second device. To get back to my point, if there is health risks regarding ni200, why do they sell pre-buid ni200 coils....ego, kangertech?

@Petrus, the reality is that TC is new. Due to the fact that it is not used in cookware, there has been some uproar as to safety. As @Nick posted, there seems to be logical reasons why it could be safe. However the truth is nobody can be 100% sure either way.

A lot of people, like myself, have decided to stop (for now), basically since it is very new and there is no conclusive proof either way, although it is 'probably' safe. Along with @Nick's posting which is a nice summary of the 'pro camp', it may be worth-while looking at Grim Green's vlog,

basically the anti-camp or we-don't-know camp. We don't know 100%. (His vlog before this one created an uproar since he basically said 'we don't know, so won't be using it'.)

The reality is that we still put shyte in our lungs (look at the recent DP/AP uproar) and we just don't know conclusively in this case or with anything. I really do like TC, but until the industry decide which way they want to go, I'm not interested either way. I know I'm putting crap in, better than burning stuff, but there there is still crap going into my lungs. (Flavourings, nicotine, vapour, etc. It is not clean.)

I'm just trying to keep the unproven crap out. For now... I don't know.

EDIT: Added link to Grimm Green's vlog

Last edited:
Great Thread @Andre !

Lots of people always ask me why i never use temp control and for me there are to many variables unexplained and as you posted above there are some experts in the industry are not convinced that Ni200 and Ti are safe to use. I am also not a fan building with Ni200 and also dont like the whole limiting build options you get (spacing etc)

For me my perfect vape is N80 its a great wire to work with and the flavour and ramp up times are a improvement to kanthal for me.
I tried NiChrome at the very beginning of my vaping career, but got a metallic taste from it - maybe it was the NiChrome60, which has a bit of iron in it. See NiChrome is making a bit of a come back. Is NiChrome80 not still 80 % Nickel?

I tried NiChrome at the very beginning of my vaping career, but got a metallic taste from it - maybe it was the NiChrome60, which has a bit of iron in it. See NiChrome is making a bit of a come back. Is NiChrome80 not still 80 % Nickel?

Yes it is but i def think give N80 a try, maby you will like it cause when it heats up it oxidizes and binds the metals together so there shouldn't be much of a taste compared to kanthal.

I have a TC device and have one tank dedicated (actually two tanks) that i run in TC mode.

I love it, yes the coil building is a pain, but other than that the setting of the temperature is great- different strokes i suppose.

I got 2 devices that can do TC. Have not tried a TC setup though. I got a little Titanium and Nickel wire....just in case.

My personal opinion....I am not interested in all this experimenting anymore. I just wanna vape without going into a mission, after I have found my perfect setup. Nowadays I coil my RDA's just every other week, whenever I feel that it really has to be done. I change cotton and dry burn at least every 2 days.

Most of my time is taken up by refilling juices :D

Happy with that!

Back