Silver

Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
This is my first review of a coil! If you told me a few years ago that one day I'd be reviewing a piece of metal that looks like a coil witha wavy pattern in it I would have said you are mad!

Advance the clock a few years and here I am installing a pair of "Aliens" into my Petri dripper and getting all excited to find out how the vape is.

Today I am talking about a pair of Alien coils by a talented local coilmaker and supporting vendor, @smilelykumeenit

Some history and backstory:
Firstly, I am not experienced with so called "exotic" coils. I have a fused clapton in my Billet Box and have tried one or two exotics over the past year but almost all my vaping is on simple coils with round wire that I build myself. i dont like having to rely on getting commercial coils and i havent learnt yet how to build the exotics so i have stuck with basic coils and have been very happy with them.

A while back I asked @smilelykumeenit to build for me some coils for my Petri V2 RDA, which I love. I've been using normal round wire on it for some time and I know it well. I bought the coils and picked it up from him at the last ECIGSSA JHB Vape Meet in December. Yes I know its been a long time and long overdue. But i wanted to find a juice that worked well on my normal round wire setup and get to know it well so when I switch to these coils I could compare. Took me longer than I had hoped.

I dont have experience with exotic coils, so perhaps take this "review" from the perspective of how a normal round wire vaper perceives the difference when switching to exotic Aliens ;-)

First up, here are my existing coils that were in my Petri. Standard 26g NI80 and CB2. 2.5mm ID.

f43b5e6054808085c23b7e2b2cab3b7c.jpg

Here are the Aliens from @smilelykumeenit. They are 3mm ID and he made them especially for the Petri. Just gorgeous.

348fab011c975eac52422fdd9bf5a98f.jpg

Coils are in. No pulsing yet because they need to be cleaned first. I struggled a bit to get them in, my noobness with installing these types of coils and the thick legs getting in the way of each other because two legs share the same post hole. After this photo i cleaned them with warm water and sunlight soap using a toothbrush. Position of the coils is quite close to the posts and fairly high up so the airflow hits the bottom portion of the coil. Ooh, they look so shiny!

fa837cec10184d26be6ce9db79ed6a7a.jpg

Pulsing and glowing nicely, i didnt overdo it. Just a bit of pulsing and snooker cue through them with the screwdriver which gets them going nicely. Coils were evenly glowing which means they were made very similarly. Lol, i sometimes have issues getting them to glow evenly when i build my own basic coils. No problem here with these coils.

a684e6649873d6c25a4d097847981065.jpg

Another photo. I just love how they look. Quite mean actually!

f544733e14dae786485b3571c1a2bce4.jpg

Went for Cotton Bacon V2 wick because it works well for the juice. Will explain the juice later. Its a bigger ID than im used to, so a bit more cotton. Made it fairly tight and trimmed the ends so they drape on the deck. Maybe i could have trimmed them a bit more, but its fine.

e51150dbf343f6138e6f7b5e807b23fc.jpg

All in and lubed up. Measuring 0.33 ohms. (They were 0.28 ohms when i initially installed them.) Ready to go! This part is so exciting for me.

4b5c501a601aac1b4c72ea485aa6307b.jpg

The juice I'm using is Loaded Glazed Donuts 6mg. Have been vaping it for quite some time on my normal round wire coils in the Petri so I know it well. Its a lovely juice. But always felt like it needed a bit more bakery to come through.

So what's the verdict?

Wow, what a vape! It's glorious. Thick and dense, very rich. Plentiful. Way more than my basic round wire coils!

It's a lot smoother than I thought it would be. Like a smooth six cylinder engine ;-) The vapour that comes out also feels a bit smoother. No popping or spitting. It does have a deep "guttoral growl" which I like.

I tried it from 50-70 Watts and it feels right for me at 65 Watts. 50 is too low and above 70 is too high. Am vaping it on the Cuboid with fresh batteries. Coil combination comes in at 0.33 ohms.

The flavour is much more than my simple round wire coils. I do pick up slightly more bakery, which I like. The actual flavour itself is not far off but the whole experience is elevated because of the bigger volume. Lots more vapour. My kitchen area is now very hazy! Lol.

Its a BIG vape for me. Bigger than I normally vape. I am doing shortish 2 second toots. They are very enjoyable. It's like a high intensity sudden surge of vapour. The downside for me is that after a few toots the drip tip gets a bit too warm. But the first few toots are perfect. Vapour temp is warm. Suits this juice and that's what I was hoping for.

Another thing, this setup guzzles lots of juice ;-)

Overall, I am very impressed. Surprised at the smoothness. Flavour is outstanding. The vape is too big for me as a "workhorse vape" but I can see myself using it in the evenings for some bigger vapes on great juices.

Will keep on using these coils and continue testing to see how the coils hold up and how it fares on other juices over time. But first impressions for me are that @smilelykumeenit makes brilliant coils that work superbly well.

d9d6b0587ddea025031301e6e1ca4783.jpg

Last edited:
@smilelykumeenit rocks! He made me some Stainless Steel Coils recently... I want to be ready for REPLAY! Boom! And he is so helpful as well!

There is no question that exotic coils made with decent wire makes a big difference to the vape!
Smiley 003.JPG

Silver the wicking and photos taking wizzard. Wow. Amazing write up and photos and just like i knew @smilelykumeenit makes amazing coils. Enjoy the journey and many happy vapes on the setup Silver.

Awesome review and beautiful coils there.
Don't know if I missed it but what's the ohms? And is there more specs like gauges of wires ect. I can still remember my first vape on exotic coils sometimes i wish it never happened.
Can't wait till you try and build these.

Awesome review and beautiful coils there.
Don't know if I missed it but what's the ohms? And is there more specs like gauges of wires ect. I can still remember my first vape on exotic coils sometimes i wish it never happened.
Can't wait till you try and build these.

Thanks @Friep
I must go look for the specs of the coil. I think I have them written somewhere
But the set came in at 0.33 ohms.

@Silver thanks for taking the time to write this! and great job on the install and photos :thumbup:
and also for finding some to install those coils :seenoevil::seenoevil::seenoevil:
i have heard from a few customers that my coils have been in use for 3 months or more. :yikes:
you are the only person i know who has had my coils on a shelf for 3 months or more :-D

Great write-up @Silver. Very interesting to hear a stone hearted round wire fans views on these exotics.Glad you enjoy them.
PS- the the framed staple aliens next. They need more wattage, but the "growl" like an angry Mufasa, and the vape is even thicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Silver thanks for taking the time to write this! and great job on the install and photos :thumbup:
and also for finding some to install those coils :seenoevil::seenoevil::seenoevil:
i have heard from a few customers that my coils have been in use for 3 months or more. :yikes:
you are the only person i know who has had my coils on a shelf for 3 months or more :-D

Thanks @smilelykumeenit
I quite liked looking at the coils in their little container ;-)

On a serious note, they are very good and i am happy

Great write-up @Silver. Very interesting to hear a stone hearted round wire fans views on these exotics.Glad you enjoy them.
PS- the the framed staple aliens next. They need more wattage, but the "growl" like an angry Mufasa, and the vape is even thicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @GerritVisagie
Ooh, i like the sounds of an angry growling Mufasa :D

Ok, my setup has been sitting for about 2 days.

Giving it a go this evening. Same juice and wick. And am pleased that the vape is just as good and rich.

Smilelykumeenit coils working superbly!

73289d2fcc08b9e94a28cffaf61af499.jpg

Back