Stingray 18xxx Edition

Xhale

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
I purchased this stingray from a vendor local to me around a month ago to prototype some parts on. Its the 18xxx size in Brass, clone.
Its a handsome mod, and was to be a replacement for my daily use NemesisIMG_20140509_131205.jpg
(I'll try focus the reviews on how they work, rather than try sway opinion...I dont do "marketing" well)

Some specs:
takes batteries, makes vapour.
22mm in size, floating top pin, normal locking ring, switch has adjustable throw (more on this below)

Here it is in bits:
IMG_20140509_131304.jpg
Its fair to say that this is too similar to a Nemesis to be total coincidence, but there's also only so many ways to make a tube.

I've taken the adjustable throw off the switch in the picture above, here it is assembled correctly
IMG_20140509_131342.jpg
two opposing magnets provide the switch action, and its pretty ok really. But the adjustable throw part, in my usage/experience didnt work out too well. The white delrin above screws into the switch mechanism, screw it tight and the throw is minimal, leave it a few threads clear and the throw is larger.

Leave it a few threads clear, and screw the whole shebang into the tube along with a battery, and as you go tighten everything up, the delrin also screws itself back into the switch, negating any fiddling you did to set the throw how you like it. Grrr.
As such, I just set the throw as small as possible (tight delrin) and ignore this feature.

IMG_20140509_131434.jpg
the topcap has permanent airflow vents channelled between the two pieces, so effectively airflow is not adjustable ala 69, ala nemesis etc. I dont miss this, as I seldom use it.

On the switch and the topcap you have a meeting of brass and stainless, and I believe this is glued. I havent janked it or taken vice grips to it, but it doesnt appear threaded. Consider it permanently fixed.

As a Nemesis replacement, I'm still not convinced. The looks are updated, and the black/copper variant is pretty as can be compared to the almost sedate looks of a nemesis, but you do miss out on some features.
no kick capability, no adjustable airflow
added feature of switch throw adjustment is a bit of a disappointment, at least in this one I own.

To cut a long story short, if you dont have a nemesis yet, get a stingray. If you do have a Nemesis, pretend it is black with copper accents, but there is no real compelling reason to get a Stingray also, unless it is purely for looks. The functionality is duplicated amongst the two mods, with the featureset actually being tipped towards the Stingrays older brother.

Footnote: the top pin has a very large base (picture #2, far right), and I have problems with some flat top batteries as the pin actually presses against the protective plastic of the positive battery section rather than the metal
Footnote 2: I found another smaller kick tube in the box when tidying up today (clean forgot about it), but trying various batteries with my kick and the kick tube theres always some thread showing. Its not totally seamless like I feel it should be

Last edited:
Great review as always @Vern :)??

*subscribed. Stingray Is in my slowtech vapemail. Will have to revisit once it's arrived.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I actually bought the black and copper stingray from Vapeking now in the week. This issue of the positive connector being too large for the flat top batteries and not firing is driving me up the wall! Does anyone have a fix for this by any chance? I bought 2 brand new Efest 35A 18650 batteries and only 1 works with the stingray. The other works great in my SVD

I actually bought the black and copper stingray from Vapeking now in the week. This issue of the positive connector being too large for the flat top batteries and not firing is driving me up the wall! Does anyone have a fix for this by any chance? I bought 2 brand new Efest 35A 18650 batteries and only 1 works with the stingray. The other works great in my SVD

photo showing the problem bits please

I shall post them first thing in the morning! Sorry I was out today with the meet and then other things

I had one of these last year, still have it somewhere, had the rainbow one, didnt use it much though.

Back