Rob Fisher

ECIGSSA Admin
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
FINES MASTER
LV

Awards
There are now a bazillion tanks (RBA and commercial coils) around and I have owned more than a few... I'm busy playing with 8 tanks at the moment and each of them have their pros and cons... I would be interested to hear your favorite RBA and favorite tank with commercial coils.

For me there are two very clear winners...

Trinity Bell Cap, gClapton Coils on Subtank Base is the clear winner in the non rebuildable class... no leaking at all, simple to refill, fantastic flavour and clouds and looks really awesome!

RBA winner would be the Crius by far because it looks awesome, doesn't leak and has great flavour and vapour!

TankWars1.jpg TankWars2.jpg

Special mention can me made of the Steam Engine which is also a fantastic tank but just doesn't have the looks... The same special mention for the good old Atlantis V1 which is still way ahead of the pack of followers that haven't really matched the very first Sub Ohm tank!

TankWars3.jpg

I suppose I have to mention the Bellus as well because it not only looks good and has awesome flavour... but that initial leaking on the refill drives me over the edge.

Winner for me on stock coils would be the crown and the 0.25 ohm coils. It has great flavour from 50w and at around 70w it becomes a flavour beast.

The problem is you must enjoy a warm to hot vape, it is not as cool as the crius by any stretch.

2nd place goes to the tfv4 mini using the Clapton rba - fantastic flavour but again it is a warm vape.

Crius is good and easy to use and works great at 0.24ohm for my VM XXX, tropical ice and MMM's lime party.

Aromamizer with vertical coils is my 4th place. Good flavour and a cooler vape - replace the drip tip for more flavour as the spit guard on this stock tip does mute some flavours.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hi Rob.
I am currently using the Kangertech RBA and velocity mini. I am trying to decide between buying the Steam Crave RBTA or the Crius. Please let me know which one you suggest. Many thx.

Hi Rob.
I am currently using the Kangertech RBA and velocity mini. I am trying to decide between buying the Steam Crave RBTA or the Crius. Please let me know which one you suggest. Many thx.
Crius all the way!!!

I'm a dual Clapton in my Crius v3 velocity deck fan but... The Crius killer is coming... I shudder with dread and excitement.... The Griffin RDA velocity deck is soon gonna be ontop of my RX200

Hi Rob.

Crius all the way.

Lovely thread @Rob Fisher !

I have not had much experience with the tanks - only tried about 6 or 7 - or about that. Have tried to get a few that have had good reviews.

I find my Lemo1 still gives me the best crystal clear and "sharp" flavour for my menthol fruit juices at lowish power of around 15W on restricted lung hits. This for me wins the rebuildable class. Low juice consumption. Reliable for me once I got the wicking right. No cloud producer, just focusing on flavour. Only drawback is having to unscrew the fillport screw to fill up. But, that said, it has always worked and has never leaked out the fillport screw.

For stock coils, don't laugh but my little Evod1 is the winner for me for mouth to lung vaping on 18mg fruity menthols. Ask @Maxxis, he tried my little Evod1 yesterday and I think he was quite surprised. I have a suspicion that the silica wicks in the stock coils are perfect for my taste buds on the menthol fruits because i think they add a tanginess.

The other "big boys" I find are generally much thirstier and prefer higher power, more airflow and lower nic juice. They give me a more "rounded" flavour and don't give me the sharpness I want. I think they are better suited to richer flavours more on the desserty side of the spectrum. While I am experimenting still, its not my ideal style of vaping.....

Just some additional comments on two recent tanks I have tried:

• Subtank Mini - a great starter, no wonder its so popular. Very reliable. But for me, the rebuildable is way better flavourwise than the stock coils. Still, i find the flavour slightly muted. Nice tank and reliable so far for me. Doesnt sit flush on Evic VTC Mini...
  • Crius - still "discovering" it - to me this wants big air, highish power and it guzzles juice like a mofo. I filled it last night with creamy lemon biscuit and havent tooted all that much - its nearly finished this morning! Rounded smoothish flavour. Have tried to "crispify" it with 28g 2mm ID coils and its better but i think it is better suited to juices where you want a rounded softish flavour. Am still trying to get a great juice for it. Reliability is perfect so far and its easy to wick. No leaking whatsoever. Love the top fill. My only gripe with it is not being able to dismantle it fully for fear of breaking glass, so the previous juice taste lingers for a bit.

To me, there are clearly three vape styles that have emerged (this is my opinion)
  1. Mouth to lung - tight draw
  2. Restricted lung hit - at lowish power
  3. Full lung hit - more power, bigger airflow
I think these are very different styles and the tanks best suited to each will differ widely. Also, the juices best suited to each style need to be taken into consideration.

In my case, I like my hard hitting tobaccoes and my fruity menthols. To my taste, styles 1) and 2) suit me far better for those.

That said, I probably still only use tanks for about 30-40% of my vaping. Rest is on BF dripper.

Last edited:
I've had my fare share of tanks and my list is as follows:
1 - TFV4 mini using the RBA it came with. Running single Clapton (in Power) or 24g SS (in temp)
2 - UD Bellus - dual 26G SS (in temp)
3 - Billow V2 - With good old Kanthal 26g (hands down the best machined out of the lot. everything is silky smooth)

Didn't really like the Crius. Wotofo Serpent and Griffin on the way - so all might change :)

I don't have much experience using any commercial coils unfortunately.

Favourite will still be the Aromamizer. Love the flavour, love the clouds.

The list, with their default builds:

1. Aromamizer, 26g Ti (DC)
2. Goblin Mini (if the screw is present), 26g Kanthal (DC)
3. Crius, 24g Kanthal (DC)
4. TFV4 (standard), clapton-RBA but with whatever exotic build I'm in the mood for (SC)
5. Subtank Mini, usually stock coils since I have a few still left (SC)

Would like to try a Bellus one day, to see what how it compares. Btw @MorneW, how does the TFV4 compare against the TFV4-mini?

Favourite will still be the Aromamizer. Love the flavour, love the clouds.

The list, with their default builds:

1. Aromamizer, 26g Ti (DC)
2. Goblin Mini (if the screw is present), 26g Kanthal (DC)
3. Crius, 24g Kanthal (DC)
4. TFV4 (standard), clapton-RBA but with whatever exotic build I'm in the mood for (SC)
5. Subtank Mini, usually stock coils since I have a few still left (SC)

Would like to try a Bellus one day, to see what how it compares. Btw @MorneW, how does the TFV4 compare against the TFV4-mini?
Ah, good to know as I just ordered the Aromamizer from @Vapers Corner. Primarily because @Nimatek and @Wyvern raved about it and because I can try vertical coils with my 4 mm ceramic wick. Hope I can fit 3.5 mm ID coils in there?

@Ezekiel They pretty much the same, the mini just looks better on most mods (read - no overhang). The trick to the tfv4 using the Clapton RBA base is the wicking. It makes a huge difference to the flavour it produces. I build 3 or 3.5mm. Wicking nice and tight (a little less if comparing it to a Scotish roll and sushi roll). I found the aromamizer's flavour is also muted when compared to the Bellus and TFV4 so it's interesting to me that you found it ahead of the TFV4. Maybe I was doing something wrong :wondering:. Another tank I liked the flavour of which I forgot to mention was the Crown using the RBA. Pretty yum. Took a few toots of the Serpent and that is also very very good. Best is you can fit some sick build in there. I'm pretty excited to try the Griffin.

Well ive used the crius , billow v2 and bellus and then im currently using a smok tfv4 mini with a 24g SS 8 wraps @ .39 spaced coil 3.5mm on temp control and the flavour is the best ive had outta all the tanks ive used

Ah, good to know as I just ordered the Aromamizer from @Vapers Corner. Primarily because @Nimatek and @Wyvern raved about it and because I can try vertical coils with my 4 mm ceramic wick. Hope I can fit 3.5 mm ID coils in there?
I am pretty sure you will be able to in vertical coils. Send photos please, would love to see ceramic wicks in there.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advise Shaun and Rob, i will place my order ASAP.
One more question please, will the eleaf 60W fire the crius?

I'm currently running the Bellus with a dual 7 wrap 26g SS316L build in temp mode on the VTC mini, the Billow v2 is sporting a dual 7 wrap 26g Kanthal build at 40W on the iStick50 and I have the TFV4 with the factory fitted coils on the R2 base strapped to a mech. They are all pretty close in terms of flavour and cloud but the Billow definitely wins in terms of flavour for me, make no mistake the others are great but the Billow is noticeably better. I find the Billow also has a much smoother draw, the airflow is silky smooth and isn't as noisy as the others.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Crius, I would have already if there was a white one available, but I really don't need another tank, the ones I have at the moment are keeping me happy. But never say never :) Also, the Griffin is looking mighty tempting :rolleyes:

Big Tank Pit Stop today in anticipation of Vape Mail this week which will contain some new juices to test. Finished the Cuttwood Juice test today and awaiting some of Ruby Roo's new juices which I understand has great potential.

Tanks missing in the picture are the Bellus which has Paulie's Pistachio Ice Cream in and that is staying... I must say I have had the juice for a few weeks now and it is now steeped perfectly and is so damn smooth and so awesome! @Paulie I'm close to finishing the bottle... you had better launch soon otherwise someone will get a hurt real bad! :D

Also missing are the Aspire Cleito and Joytech Cubis which are still going through tests with Vapour Mountain XXX in them. The Tron tank is also not in the pic because it's still fighting with the Cubis tank... the Cubis is winning but the noise of the Cubis makes it's a no no when I'm watching TV otherwise my wife and kids will hurt me. One of the standard Subox Mini tanks is also not in the pic due to the fact that it has Cuttwood Sugar Drizzle in and I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would!

All clean and shiny (and empty) with new wicks and coils ready to face the week ahead!
Tanks 001.JPG
There are also two new tanks that have entered tank wars... the Herakles and the Wismec Amor Plus which are completely new tanks for me.

PS The REO's are just smiling and are not worried. :D

I'm convinced the ALL glass helps the flavour but that may just be my imagination.

I don't think it is your imagination Mr Fisher, all happening for me too. Plus I love how easy it is to clean the tank without having to dismantle various pieces. Having said that I am without doubt a lazy barsteward and will look for the path of least resistance. Trinity Bellcap + ST mini base + gClapton Coil = The Holy Trinity!!!

Big Tank Pit Stop today in anticipation of Vape Mail this week which will contain some new juices to test. Finished the Cuttwood Juice test today and awaiting some of Ruby Roo's new juices which I understand has great potential.

Tanks missing in the picture are the Bellus which has Paulie's Pistachio Ice Cream in and that is staying... I must say I have had the juice for a few weeks now and it is now steeped perfectly and is so damn smooth and so awesome! @Paulie I'm close to finishing the bottle... you had better launch soon otherwise someone will get a hurt real bad! :D

Also missing are the Aspire Cleito and Joytech Cubis which are still going through tests with Vapour Mountain XXX in them. The Tron tank is also not in the pic because it's still fighting with the Cubis tank... the Cubis is winning but the noise of the Cubis makes it's a no no when I'm watching TV otherwise my wife and kids will hurt me. One of the standard Subox Mini tanks is also not in the pic due to the fact that it has Cuttwood Sugar Drizzle in and I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would!

All clean and shiny (and empty) with new wicks and coils ready to face the week ahead!
View attachment 44537
There are also two new tanks that have entered tank wars... the Herakles and the Wismec Amor Plus which are completely new tanks for me.

PS The REO's are just smiling and are not worried. :D

@Rob Fisher , this is epic - loved reading that
Lol about the part of you getting hurt if you use the noisy tank while watching TV. I know what you mean.

Cant wait to hear more about the tank wars saga and the new juices...

Back