Tesla Invader 4X ... PCB Alternative

Intuthu Kagesi

Proficitis cum eo
LV

Awards
I recently rebuilt a Tesla Invader 4X for a mate, (the original pcb was irreparable), and thought I'd share the circuit diagram and PCB layout should anyone else wish to resurrect / convert a failed mod.
This modification replaces the PCB in it's entirety, and requires minimal wiring changes. It will however no longer have in situ charging, (does anyone use that anyway?), and ... I did away with the led's, (who looks at them whilst vaping anyway?).

The board layout as presented below will use all the existing pcb mounting and share the existing case firing button and pcm adjustment knob.

All the components are available from Mantech, (who will also make up the PCB below if required).
The Mosfet I used is rated at 59Amps Continuous, and the PCM will adjust from 1 through 99% of the available voltage of two 18650's in series, (without any protection! ... so you may wish to add a PTC rated at around 30Amps in series with each battery).MOD PCB_Ver.2.png PWM.png

Attachments

• IRF1010E.pdf
    159.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I recently rebuilt a Tesla Invader 4X for a mate, (the original pcb was irreparable), and thought I'd share the circuit diagram and PCB layout should anyone else wish to resurrect / convert a failed mod.
This modification replaces the PCB in it's entirety, and requires minimal wiring changes. It will however no longer have in situ charging, (does anyone use that anyway?), and ... I did away with the led's, (who looks at them whilst vaping anyway?).

The board layout as presented below will use all the existing pcb mounting and share the existing case firing button and pcm adjustment knob.

All the components are available from Mantech, (who will also make up the PCB below if required).
The Mosfet I used is rated at 59Amps Continuous, and the PCM will adjust from 1 through 99% of the available voltage of two 18650's in series, (without any protection! ... so you may wish to add a PTC rated at around 30Amps in series with each battery).
View attachment 222419
View attachment 222420
You sir are a legend!

The Mosfet I used is rated at 59Amps Continuous, and the PCM will adjust from 1 through 99% of the available voltage of two 18650's in series, (without any protection! ... so you may wish to add a PTC rated at around 30Amps in series with each battery).View attachment 222455 View attachment 222420

What would the total cost +/- be of the parts involved.

What would the total cost +/- be of the parts involved.

555 Timer R 2.92
IRF1010 Mosfet R19.11
6.2V Zener (32c ea) R 0.64
IN4148 Diode (32c ea) R 0.64
100nf Cap. (26c ea) R 0.52
1/2W Resistors (14c ea) R 0.56
100K Trimpot R 3.92
Custom PCB R46.00, or;
Veroboard / Stripboard R80.96 (Smallest piece available ... plenty spare for other prototyping projects)

You are super. Just what the doctor ordered.
555 Timer R 2.92
IRF1010 Mosfet R19.11
100K Trimpot R 3.92
Custom PCB R46.00, or;
Veroboard / Stripboard R80.96 (Smallest piece available ... plenty spare for other prototyping projects)

If it was me it would never work again! lol If i take anything electrical apart you can make arrangements for it's funeral!:monoloco:

555 Timer R 2.92
IRF1010 Mosfet R19.11
100K Trimpot R 3.92
Custom PCB R46.00, or;
Are you trying to invoice me now ? I thought we were friends - shows you - get to know somebody and not a week later they will try to get money out of you ... the wheel never stops ....

If it was me it would never work again! lol If i take anything electrical apart you can make arrangements for it's funeral!:monoloco:

I get that, although you couldn't really lose on a repair / resurrection like this though, as this poor beast had already gone to "mod heaven", (having had a few of it's "organs" cremated :giggle:), the upside of course being a semi-regulated mod that kicks like a mule for the cost of a pack of fags, in a Tesla disguise ;)

Are you trying to invoice me now ? I thought we were friends - shows you - get to know somebody and not a week later they will try to get money out of you ... the wheel never stops ....

LMAO ... Naah, you get a freebie ;) ... I enjoyed the challenge ... O wait ... maybe a repeat performance drinkies session is a good "charge" :giggle:

But as you know...
  1. Pics or it didn't happen!

OK, OK ... So here's Ver. 1 being tested ...
We'll have to wait for @ARYANTO to give us a review once he's had a chance to play with it ;)

My impressions ... It hit's like a friggen mule! ... I can highly recommend it ... and it's cheap!
Please use some decent high current batteries tho', as it hit's with maximum battery voltage, and regulates average power based on pulse width.
It sounds a bit like a mosquito whilst firing, not obtrusively tho'

Also ... you can leave out the Zener Diode and the Resistor marked "SIT", (47E), as there is minimal frequency shift with battery voltage from 8.4 to 6Volts.

IMG_20210216_091131.jpg

OK, OK ... So here's Ver. 1 being tested ...
We'll have to wait for @ARYANTO to give us a review once he's had a chance to play with it ;)

My impressions ... It hit's like a friggen mule! ... I can highly recommend it ... and it's cheap!
Please use some decent high current batteries tho', as it hit's with maximum battery voltage, and regulates average power based on pulse width.
It sounds a bit like a mosquito whilst firing, not obtrusively tho'

Also ... you can leave out the Zener Diode and the Resistor marked "SIT", (47E), as there is minimal frequency shift with battery voltage from 8.4 to 6Volts.

View attachment 222755

The pic qualifies you for a drink with @ARYANTO . Enjoy guys! I'll drink some tea on that!

I need to get new batteries for this baby , the few test runs was great - love the power ! :pesas:

I somehow don't buy that SmokeyJoe, as you have way more vaping experience than I do ;)

What I can say about this modification is that outside of the obvious of bringing a dead mod back to life ... Should you have a mech, and want a little more flexibility and control whilst retaining that wonderful hard hit, then I'd highly recommend you look into building something like this into it :)

No, no we need a screen and wattage adjustment, maybe 21700 upgrade while you guys are busy with your magic!
The man is asking for a broken mod to work from. Break the mod and send it to him!

Back