TFV12 Prince Cobra Edition - Smok

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the TFV12 Prince Cobra Edition from Smok. The TFV12 Prince Cobra Edition was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ruby from Smok.

https://www.smoktech.com/atomizer/tfv12-...ra-edition

https://store.smoktech.com/product/detai...ra-edition

Introduction

The TFV12 Prince Cobra Edition is the latest edition of the very popular Prince Sub-ohm tank which i have looked at before and received in many kits so just a quick review but will point out any differences between this and the previous versions. The Cobra edition does come in both standard and TPD edition but as i received the standard edition the review will be based on what i received.

In the Box

Contents:

Standard Edition

1x TFV12 Prince Cobra Edition Tank (7ml)
1x V12 Prince Strip Coil 0.15ohm (pre-installed)
1x V12 Prince Mesh Coil 0.15ohm
1x V12 Prince X2 Clapton 0.4ohm Dual Coil
1x Replacement Acrylic Bulb Tube
1x Replacement Acrylic Drip Tip
1x User Manual
Spare parts

EU Edition

1x TFV12 Prince Cobra Edition Tank (2ml)
1x V12 Prince Strip Coil 0.15ohm (pre-installed)
1x V12 Prince Mesh Coil 0.15ohm
1x V12 Prince X2 Clapton 0.4ohm Dual Coil
1x User Manual
Spare parts

Aesthetics

On opening the typical Smok packaging i was met by a Blue to White Magic Colour version of the TFV12 Prince Cobra edition which when cold is a Royal Blue, there is also a Red to White magic colour available. The Prince Cobra Edition also comes on the following colours, Black, Red, 7-Colour, Prism Blue, Gold, Green, Purple and Stainless Steel, all versions come with a matching Cobra style drip tip. The main aesthetic feature that has changed from the original version of the Prince is that the Cobra version has a Cobra patterned mesh cage that surrounds the coil which i think looks excellent through the glass tube. The Prince comes with a bulged glass fitted which accounts for it's large 7ml capacity, however like with the original Prince we are not talking an almost goldfish bowl style shape, the bulge is somewhat subdued; giving the Prince in my opinion a classy look which isn't going to look odd on top of devices. Both top-cap and base have matching heavy patterned texturing (which is a different design to the previous Prince tank) and "SMOK" written on the top-cap. The acrylic Cobra style drip-tip is very nice and as mentioned all colour options match the colour of the tank, again a slight change to previous Prince tanks as it's a much lower profile. The airflow on the Prince comprises of 2 huge cyclops with stoppers. Overall the Prince looks and feels very well made and has the glossy paint finish Smok is known for.

TFV12 Prince Cobra Specs and Features:

Size: 63 x 28mm (Standard Edition) / 63 x 25.5mm (EU Edition)
Capacity: 7ml (Standard Edition)/ 2ml (EU Edition)
Coil: V12 Prince Strip Coil 0.15ohm (pre-installed)
V12 Prince Mesh Coil 0.15ohm
V12 Prince X2 Clapton 0.4ohm Dual Coil
Material: Stainless steel and Pyrex glass
Unprecedentedly powerful and beautiful subohm tank
Accessory cellular mesh
Cobra V2 resin drip tip
Magic gradient colour (Magic colour versions)
Revolutionary Mesh Coil & Strip Coil
All-new V12 Prince X2 Clapton coil
Easy top filling with patented locking mechanism
Adjustable bottom airflow
Compatible with V12 Prince series coils
Thread: 510
Colours: Red to White (magic colour), Blue to White (magic colour), Black, Red, 7-Colour, Prism Blue, Gold, Green, Purple, Stainless Steel

Assembling and Filling

I found no issues with taking the Prince to bits, the base screws off the bottom (taking the coil and cage, if fitted with it), and then the glass easily comes free, the kit does come with a spare acrylic frosted bulge tube with swirl pattern. The mesh cage like the glass just is secured with an o-ring and comes off then it's entirely up to you if you want to put the cage back on or leave it off, i think it looks cool but for those that don't care for it leaving it off will increase the capacity by about 1ml. The drip tip is very nice and the spare frosted tip matches the spare frosted glass and is a very comfortable shape. The coil screws into the base and the tank assembles as easily as a tank should. In threads i do hear of people having problems with the initial wicking of Smok coils (usually the Baby Beast coils, but then they are more widely used) and burn't taste from the off. I have never had any issue, but probably because of the mentioned threads as i prime the coils very well and leave the filled tank at least 10 mins before vaping, i also start on a lower wattage than i want and increase the power as i can taste the wicking is fine, i don't know if Smok coils are hit or miss in quality but personally i have never had an issue. The Prince has the hinged top-fill system commonly used by Smok and the Prince Cobra keeps the locking mechanism so it's not going to open by accident, messing with the vacuum which causes leaking. The top cap can be unlocked by pressing a small button above the word "SMOK" and then open as usual. When filling the tank i did at first keep getting the port blocked with air bubbles but this was solved by just filling the tank more slowly than usual.

Magic Colour

The tank i received was the Blue to White magic colour, there is also a Red to White magic colour version available. The tank i received starts as a Royal Blue colour and as it gets warmer the colour gets lighter until eventually going White. It would take some major chain vaping on a hot day to get the tank to go completely white which is something i never managed but you certainly notice the colour getting lighter from the bottom while vaping. Holding the tank in your hand for 5 mins changes the tanks colour more evenly to see that if you really gave it some you would end up with a white tank, as the tank cools it goes back to it's original colour. Most people will say "Gimmick" and of course it is, but it's a conversation starter and anything that get's smokers to ask questions gives you the opportunity to turn that conversation more generally about vaping so a good thing in my opinion.

Optional Purchases

There are many coil options now for the prince and also an RBA deck, the drip tips both Cobra and frosted can also be purchased in many colours. Also the Mesh cage is available in different colours as well as the acrylic tube and a Global glass tube which gives the Prince a capacity of 8ml or 9ml if you remove the mesh cage.

Using the Prince

The first thing to mention is the existing Prince coils fit the tank, along with the available RBA deck. The included coils with the Cobra edition is the pre- installed V12 0.15ohm strip coil which is rated between 40w - 100w and best between 80w - 90w, the second coil included is the V12 0.15 Mesh coil rated between 40w - 80w and best between 60w - 70w, i didn't use this coil on this occasion but have used it many times and found the flavour to be very good although i did find the best rating a little low as i vape it at 80w. The final coil included (yes three coils included, a big pro) is the V12 0.4ohm dual clapton which is rated between 40w to 80w with best between 60w - 70w, this coil i gave a try just prior to writing the review (i mainly used the Prince Cobra with the strip coil), the flavour is good but inferior to both the mesh and strip coil. I settled for 80w with the strip coil and the flavour slightly edges the mesh coil i have tried before, for a stock coil the flavour is excellent. The Cobra edition of the Prince vapes exactly the same as the original prince, the airflow adjusts with just the right amount of resistance and is quite smooth across the board, with the only changes being purely aesthetic although i must say i prefer both drip tips provided over the original version and you get a good selection of coils.

Pros

Made very well
Durable finish
aesthetically pleasing
3 coils included
Matching Acrylic tube and drip tip with swirl pattern
7ml Capacity
Clapton coil good flavour
Mesh and Strip coil excellent flavour (strip coil edges it in my opinion)
Top-fill
Lock mechanism
Magic colour (a conversation starter)

Cons

Need to fill slowly
Might look silly on top of small devices
Not for MTL or low wattage vapers.

I would once again like to thank Ruby from Smok for supplying the TFV12 Prince Cobra Edition for the purpose of this review.

https://www.smoktech.com/atomizer/tfv12-...ra-edition

https://store.smoktech.com/product/detai...ra-edition

Back