The big question MTL, DL, RDL

Spunk3yMunk3y

☾⫷≾❸➂⋟⫸☽
LV

Awards
Hey guys,

So I have been scouring the interwebz for info on this but I cannot find much info as everything in the vape world is usually up to preference... (I'm a simple guy, I like things cut and dry haha)

So I pose the following questions

When it comes to MTL, DL, RDL, which has what benefit over the other? (e.g. MTL can handle higher nic levels, DL has more vapor, RDL is??, MTL uses less batt and less juice)

When it comes to the 3, what is the go to Nic concentration? I know MTL handles up to 12mg and DL usually hangs in the 3,2,1,0 mg. what about RDL?

What build would be best for the 3?

In your experience, which has the best flavour? I have an MTL setup and a DL setup and since I'm using different juices, high nic vs low nic, fruit vs dessert, pg/vg ratios are different as well, i cant tell for myself. Thoguht this could be an interesting topic for different vape styles to come together and share their experiences and opinions.

I'd say RDL for me personally. I like airflow, but for example on my Arbiters I close it half way. Not a fan of too much!

MTL for tobaccos for me, in the Dvarws. Desserts, when I feel like one, I pop it in the Dvarw DL. Fruits go in my Arbiters. For flavour, each is good for different purposes. I tried a 50/50 MTL juice and I am not a fan mostly because of the rate it disappeared. I vape 6mg in all of them personally, 9mg tops in my MTL setups.

As for builds, a simple round wire Ni80 build in the Dvarws and prebuilt flat wire Ni80 coils in the Arbiters.

There is a sweet spot for all 3 daily LoL

Wake up with a coffee, I MTL a nice bacce juice (nice tobacco with coffee higher nic to get the day going) 6mg
During the day I will Mech, DL, or RDL, Desserts, Fruits 3mg
Night chill time, or infront tv back on a MTL 6mg (nice tobacco)

@Spunk3yMunk3y it all boils down to your own preference and how you build and vape on any tank. You don't need to use a MTL RTA purely for MTL, there is a lot of vapers that opens it up, slaps a lower ohm coil in there and go RDL on a MTL tank. Then you get vapers that takes a DL tank, put a 810-510 adapter in, stick a 510 driptip on there and vape it as MTL.

The industry norm is easy:

MTL - 0.7ohm and above, 20W and lower.
RDL - 0.2ohm to 0.6ohm, 30-60W
DL - sub 0.2ohm, 60W+

But still, it boils down to preference.

Me, I don't like full blown DL. I RDL at +/- 0.25ohm and 45-50W. And then I love MTL at 1ohm and 15W. I use max 6mg Nic in all setups (but mostly 3mg) and I don't use 50/50 High Nic as I don't like High Nic and my stomach is not fond of high PG levels, so most of my juice I use is 70/30 (yes, in MTL too). The only difference is that I wick for thicker juice in my MTL setups as well which means tight in the coil but light in the wick ports.

I have also found a liking in juices that don't affect each other, so if I change from MTL (Tobacco/Tobacco & other flavors/Vanilla Custard/Banana Custard) to RDL (Fruit on Ice) the different flavor profiles does not affect each other and I can change without having to first clear my pallet between vapes. I have also not experience vapors tongue for more than a year now.

What I can suggest you do is do some research, watch as much YouTube videos as your data plan can allow you, pick a couple of tanks from each area of MTL/RDL/DL and get some suggestions on which ones to try and which ones to avoid. You will get mixed feedback on most, but there will always be a consensus on most of them. Then shortlist it and try the ones suggested. Take it and do various build options and run different juice profiles through them. Going to take you a week or two per tank but you will quickly start filtering out what works best with each type of vaping style for you. From there you can fine tune what you are looking for. If you want something more restricted than a Dead Rabbit V2 RDA, go for a Digiflavor Drop or a Drop Dead for example. If you want something tighter than a Hellvape Vertex on MTL, go for an OBS Engine MTL RTA.

Coiling and wicking is also subject to your liking, not everyone likes the same type of wire and cotton. Coil placement works different for everyone, just like the amount of cotton used. But ask if you don't come right or want "more" from what you are experiencing on a specific setup. Someone might just have the answer you need to make it that 5% better you are looking for.

The amount of options out there is almost equal to the amount of opinions. Don't rush it, dont force it. It is a learning curve with a hit and miss process.

@Spunk3yMunk3y it all boils down to your own preference and how you build and vape on any tank. You don't need to use a MTL RTA purely for MTL, there is a lot of vapers that opens it up, slaps a lower ohm coil in there and go RDL on a MTL tank. Then you get vapers that takes a DL tank, put a 810-510 adapter in, stick a 510 driptip on there and vape it as MTL.

Guilty! I literally just set up my one Dvarw MTL with the widest airflow insert, and a butterscotch mint juice. Darn good! ;)

IMG_7814.jpg

Guilty! I literally just set up my one Dvarw MTL with the widest airflow insert, and a butterscotch mint juice. Darn good! ;)

Would be a RDL, not?
Keen to know what build you run, actually amped to try it on my DvarwMTL...

The industry norm is easy:

MTL - 0.7ohm and above, 20W and lower.
RDL - 0.2ohm to 0.6ohm, 30-60W
DL - sub 0.2ohm, 60W+

But still, it boils down to preference.

Me, I don't like full blown DL. I RDL at +/- 0.25ohm and 45-50W. And then I love MTL at 1ohm and 15W. I use max 6mg Nic in all setups (but mostly 3mg) and I don't use 50/50 High Nic as I don't like High Nic and my stomach is not fond of high PG levels, so most of my juice I use is 70/30 (yes, in MTL too). The only difference is that I wick for thicker juice in my MTL setups as well which means tight in the coil but light in the wick ports.

I have also found a liking in juices that don't affect each other, so if I change from MTL (Tobacco/Tobacco & other flavors/Vanilla Custard/Banana Custard) to RDL (Fruit on Ice) the different flavor profiles does not affect each other and I can change without having to first clear my pallet between vapes. I have also not experience vapors tongue for more than a year now.

What I can suggest you do is do some research, watch as much YouTube videos as your data plan can allow you, pick a couple of tanks from each area of MTL/RDL/DL and get some suggestions on which ones to try and which ones to avoid. You will get mixed feedback on most, but there will always be a consensus on most of them. Then shortlist it and try the ones suggested. Take it and do various build options and run different juice profiles through them. Going to take you a week or two per tank but you will quickly start filtering out what works best with each type of vaping style for you. From there you can fine tune what you are looking for. If you want something more restricted than a Dead Rabbit V2 RDA, go for a Digiflavor Drop or a Drop Dead for example. If you want something tighter than a Hellvape Vertex on MTL, go for an OBS Engine MTL RTA.

Coiling and wicking is also subject to your liking, not everyone likes the same type of wire and cotton. Coil placement works different for everyone, just like the amount of cotton used. But ask if you don't come right or want "more" from what you are experiencing on a specific setup. Someone might just have the answer you need to make it that 5% better you are looking for.

The amount of options out there is almost equal to the amount of opinions. Don't rush it, dont force it. It is a learning curve with a hit and miss process.

Thanks for the breakdown @DarthBranMuffin!

I have the MD MTL RTA which has those airflow "turntables" so I can set it up for RDL as well as MTL. I have it on an MTL build at the moment. Was just curious to see what everyone else is doing so I can find a nice middle ground. Interesting on the PG thing, as, I have noticed I might have a slight intolerance to PG, most notably on the 50/50 juices. but this was from many years back when I first started vaping, this time around (since Dec 15 2021) I haven't had the issues so far that I used to experience (lung pain, queasy feeling in my stomach) so I think maybe I have gotten past it.

For now I'm just trying to upgrade my mods, having such old stuff doesn't help when you have to charge like 2 or 3 times a day...

As for the vapers tongue... I had it full blown way back when, and it was horrible because I was enjoying the juice so much. Luckily this time around, keeping hydrated and taking sips of water or juice in between helps clear my palate and I haven't come close to it again as yet, but its still early days for my vaping journey this time around!

I appreciate the little nuggie about the wicking styles, I must definitely experiment with that a bit as i sometimes get an amazing vape with lots of flavour and then I rewick and its almost muted, and dry feeling (not dry hit though).

I have the MD MTL RTA

The MD is a great starting point for you to try both MTL and RDL on one tank as it does well on both. Just change the driptip as well to a wider bore 510 if you do go RDL on it, it will improve the experience for you and not be a MTL draw like the OG driptips gives you.

For now I'm just trying to upgrade my mods

Rule of thumb for picking a mod to limit the amount of charging/battery changing:
Single Coil = Single Battery (Minimum requirement 18350/18650 for MTL, 20700/21700 for RDL)
Dual Coil = Dual Battery (18650/20700/21700)

Same applies to picking a mod as to picking a tank... there are sooooooooo many options and some may like it, others may hate it. It is all about what you feel comfortable with and how it performs to your vaping style.

One thing I forgot to mention: MTL does not always mean you use less juice than on RDL/DL. There are some days that I have to refill my MTL tanks more often than my RDL tanks.

One thing I forgot to mention: MTL does not always mean you use less juice than on RDL/DL. There are some days that I have to refill my MTL tanks more often than my RDL tanks.

This is absolutely true! I have found the same.

Rule of thumb for picking a mod to limit the amount of charging/battery changing:
Single Coil = Single Battery (Minimum requirement 18350/18650 for MTL, 20700/21700 for RDL)
Dual Coil = Dual Battery (18650/20700/21700)

Thanks for the info again!

Crap, i was looking at the pulse 2 to replace the dripbox, but its single batt and i have the aura rda (dual coil)... eishhhhh

Your question is the most difficult question to answer but the most relevant to a new vaper too. I'm going to try answer as simply as possible

1. MTL is what usually new vapers go for as it provides the cigarette experience with a tight draw. It also allows use of high nicotine juice > 9mg and nicotine salts. In short it mimics the cigarette experience and provides enough nicotine to help you quit the stinkies
2. DL vaping mimics a hubbly bubbly experience with thick clouds but you can't throw in there a high nic juice or it'll make you sick so you stick to juices 6mg and lower.
3. In each of those categories you find a whole variety from tight to loose MTL and from Restricted to loose DL.
4. With experience you'll find your sweet spot airflow and nicotine wise. I personally vape loose MTL to RDL 90% of the time with nicotine free or 1mg juices.

Your question is the most difficult question to answer but the most relevant to a new vaper too. I'm going to try answer as simply as possible

1. MTL is what usually new vapers go for as it provides the cigarette experience with a tight draw. It also allows use of high nicotine juice > 9mg and nicotine salts. In short it mimics the cigarette experience and provides enough nicotine to help you quit the stinkies
2. DL vaping mimics a hubbly bubbly experience with thick clouds but you can't throw in there a high nic juice or it'll make you sick so you stick to juices 6mg and lower.
3. In each of those categories you find a whole variety from tight to loose MTL and from Restricted to loose DL.
4. With experience you'll find your sweet spot airflow and nicotine wise. I personally vape loose MTL to RDL 90% of the time with nicotine free or 1mg juices.

Thanks Guru!

I find myself really enjoying the MTL lately, and i think it speaks to your point 1 in the sense that i just kicked cigs so i need that mouth feel otherwise it almost doesnt "satisf" me. the DL is so fun and flavourful but i feel like the MTL is what is keeping me most sane at the moment I will have to try a RDL build on the MD soon, maybe on wednesday :)

Thanks for the info again!

Crap, i was looking at the pulse 2 to replace the dripbox, but its single batt and i have the aura rda (dual coil)... eishhhhh

Just depends what ohms you build at. If you keep it above 0.3ohm simple builds you should be fine on the Pulse V2.

I just sold a pram to support this... I'm not sure what to say now hahaha do I have a problem??
:ISEEWHATYOUDIDTHERE:

hqdefault.jpg

There is no rules or regulations, You may do as you please. And unfortunately that may cause the end of vaping.
I know people that vape 30+mg nic salts on DL or RDL 0.5 ohm, maybe because they don't know the risk or maybe because they just can?

I personally like to vape a loose mtl or tight rdl on a lower ohm coil but less watts than the norm like a 0.3ohm coil on 28watts or 0.5ohm coil on 18 watts

Back