The ideal Reo setup

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
Got my first Reo end of August 2013. After much experimentation, my ideal setup, going for as tinker free as possible, at this moment in time:
  1. Which Reo: The Grand, which can take around 5.5 ml of joose and a 18650 battery. I have a lot of the 6 ml bottles. These reside upright in a little box, filled with various juices and each marked with a permanent marker. They rotates into my Grands. As a specific juice is depleted and is not to be re-ordered, the allocated 6 ml bottle will be finished off and then cleaned, ready for a new juice. Battery wise I use VTC5s on my lowest resistance builds and Efest 2500s on higher resistance builds. Charging on a four slot Intellicharger, which has given me good service for a long time. Will be on the lookout for the new mechanical 18650 Woodvil, due for release in February of 2015. And, one can always do with a longer lasting battery - the day we get a 18650, which lasts for the whole bottle on the Reo, will be a good day!
  2. Atomizer: For tobacco and dessert juices I still prefer the Reomizer 2 with standard air holes. For most other juices, the Cyclops and Odin with dual coils and air slits adjusted as my mood or the juice dictates. For me the Reomizer 2 is still the most leak proof of them all - it can tolerate a lot of oversquonking. With the others one has to be more careful. Just seen a new atty, the Darang, here. The air slits exit at the top of the atty and then channels inside the walls of the atty to the coils. And a deep juice well. If it can be modded to bottom feed, this could be the serial oversquonker's dream. Very expensive at around $130. @kimbo is looking at good clones for us.
  3. Coiling: For dual coils on the Cyclops and Odin, my preference is still for stock standard micro coils, around 8/9 wraps of 28 or 27 g Kanthal A1 wire on 1.5 ID mandrel to about 0.55 ohms. For the Reomizer 2 - ugly or spaced coils directly around the wicking material, which is socked on a 1.2 mm mandrel. Around 4 wraps of 27 g round wire or ribbon wire to between 0.65 to 0.75 ohms.
  4. Wicking material: Ceramic, 2 mm for micro coils and 3 mm for ugly coils. Unfortunately not freely available, but a little goes a long way. Last for months on end - used one for 4 months. Just dry burn around every 3 days, depending on the juice. After ceramic I prefer authentic Ekowool and then Rayon. Cotton has never worked for me, get a horrible taste from it.
What is or will be your ideal Reo setup?

1. Reo Grand - as i recently got her i have 2 efest 35A batteries in rotation. 3 x 6ml bottles in rotation. 2 filled with my adv VM4 and one that gets swapped around with different flavours as i empty them. future plan is to get a couple more 6ml bottles so as to only refill juices and not have to clean the bottles out as often. also i will get 2 more batteries as backups. just in case

2. my favourite atty by far is the cyclops. single slit opened fully. also if the need arises i can change out to dual coil with ease

3. mostly do a single coil using twisted 28g kanthal between 6 and 7 wraps depending on how much hit i am looking for that day. usually between 0.6 and 0.75ohm. this is on a 2mm ID

4. out of the wicking material i have used i.e. ekowool, cotton and rayon i have experimented with, i prefer the rayon. its holds onto more juice and has a longer life while in use. i tend to change my wick and coil every 3rd day. takes around 3 minutes or so to rewick and coil.

Nice summary @Andre. I just love KISS (keep it simple stupid):

1. Reo Grand + spare 6mm bottles (faw's and Efest 3100mAh suffice as I stick to between 0.6 and 0.8 Ohm coils)
2. Reomizer 2 with standard air hole (hardly do lung hits and only when suffering from nic withdrawal) personally the RM2 is a proven classic and highly doubt that I will use any other.
3. Ugly / spaced 0.9 x 0.1 ribbon Kanthal - I don't do any other coiling topology anymore
4. Ceramic (for longevity when away), but mostly authentic 2mm Ekowool

1. REO Grand and lots of spare 6ml bottles, EFEST 2100mAh & 2500mAh batteries.
2. RM2 airhole drilled to 1.5mm. Haven't tried any other atty on the REO as I am very happy with the RM2
3. Ugly coil 0.9x0.1 ribbon kanthal.
4. Authentic 2mm Ekowool only.

Great reviews and advice guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. REO Grand or Mini, EFEST 2500mAh & 1000mAh batteries.
2. RM2 Standard Air Hole. Have tried other Atties, but keep going back to the RM2 :D
3. 26 AWG, 2mm ID, 8 Wraps Microcoil.
4. Single Strand 2mm Ekowool.

^^Bliss

1. Which Reo: Reo Grand - the longer battery life and bigger juice capacity suits my needs. Efest 2500 and 3100 (button and flat top respectively)
2. Atomiser: Std RM2 - I like the concave ceramic base, easy to build. Also have a cyclone too, but if I had to chose it would be the RM2
3. Coiling: Ugly coil 0.9x0.1 ribbon kanthal, 5 wraps @ 0.8ohms. This set up provides lots of surface area to heat the wick, also really easy to build
4. Wick: 2mm Ecowool folded double. I leave a tag end which I place in the concave of the RM2 base. Wicks really well and reduces sqonking

So by the looks of the comments here, I should be getting myself some Ekowool in the near future ;)

So by the looks of the comments here, I should be getting myself some Ekowool in the near future ;)
Just a small sample of contributions. Majority probably cotton/rayon, but give Ekowool a shot.

So I am sure it is mentioned somewhere, but I want to get Jane going before my next meeting at 3pm :( so will rather ask then do a moesa search on the forum: do you have to boil the Rayon before using it?

So I am sure it is mentioned somewhere, but I want to get Jane going before my next meeting at 3pm :( so will rather ask then do a moesa search on the forum: do you have to boil the Rayon before using it?

I have used Rayon only a few times - didn't boil it
I mainly use organic cotton and I don't boil it.
Both without boiling have been fine for me.

I stand to be corrected but I think most of the other regular Rayon users I know do not boil it beforehand.

1. Reo Grand. Efest 3100 mah, I'm know I'm treading on the line with my resistance. but I alternate with a couple other devices and keep a close eye on them.
2. Std RM2 - Only thing I've tried so far, Odin is on the way.
3. 0.5ohm paracoil with 30g kanthal. running this coil in all my devices at the moment. Definitely the sweet spot for me.
4. Rayon, trimmed to a tiny little bow tie. I squonk on every hit, the extra flavour is worth the sqonk.

Use rayon as is. Never boil it.

Sent from my REO filled with VM Menthol Ice with a drop of coconut!

Guys, on the Reo's what would be the better battery to go for. I am planning on getting the Grand in 2 months time. I don't think I would easily push the limits with coil build, probably 0.5 - 0.8. Would the Efest 2500 (35Amp) or the Efest 3100 (20Amp) not be sufficient in this device?

Guys, on the Reo's what would be the better battery to go for. I am planning on getting the Grand in 2 months time. I don't think I would easily push the limits with coil build, probably 0.5 - 0.8. Would the Efest 2500 (35Amp) or the Efest 3100 (20Amp) not be sufficient in this device?

Both are fine

Thanks Johan. Just want to make sure. I don't want to spend the money on the device and break it or myself out of stupidity :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks Johan. Just want to make sure. I don't want to spend the money on the device and break it or myself out of stupidity :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You might break yourself:confused:, I doubt it would dent the Reo :D

Also a good idea to familiarize yourself with Ohm's Law so you can determine your own safety margins. Fortunately for idiots like me one can just input the numbers into a web site (e.g. http://www.onlineconversion.com/ohms_law.htm) to get an answer. For a mech I always put the fully charged Voltage of the battery at 4.2V, then just fill in the resistance and you get the current (Amps) to measure your battery against.
Do note that the continuous discharge rating (which is the important one) for the 2500 is 20A and for the 3100 is 10A.

Not so much armed as getting ready for the big day :rofl::rofl::rofl:. The day my Reo arrives is the day that I have a block party. :party::party::party:

Well actually 2 things that I cant wait for... the Smoke Fury S 18650, and the Reo.

I am still very much learning sub ohming and coil building, and thanks to a couple of people on the forum, and then a special thanks to @Yiannaki who took the time at JHB Vape Meet to show me the ropes or rather wire of custom coils. I really cannot wait to get the RM2 and coiling that bad boy... there will be pictures and there will be vapor. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back