The Origen Little 16 BF Thread (OL16)

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
Currently my TOP bottom fed atomizer and I have used many.
  • First, and foremost, it is excellent in all three elements - flavour, vapour and throat hit. Like someone on ECF said "Reduced chamber resulting in very, very good flavour. Effectively, it's 14 mm performance for flavour with larger atty vapor - quite a nice combo.".
  • Flawless craftsmanship.
  • AFC gives many options. Single or dual. Wide open for direct to lung hits (some say mid DL) and closes down for pure mouth to lung.
pwaw9vU.jpg
  • The built in heat sinks works great - I use SS or titanium drip tips and no heat gets transferred from the atty. Being so small the atty does get hot. Compared to a Nuppin and RM2:
h9CugSo.jpg
  • Despite side air holes I have experienced minimal leaking and carry it in my shirt pocket with confidence.
  • The way the posts are situated opens up the interior for very large ID coils. I have done a 3.5 mm ID coil, which fits with ease. Am sure one can go even larger if need be.
  • Each post has two holes for wire. I have found that inserting the coil tails diagonally works best and makes for the most secure fastening and connection.
9Vw41WW.jpg
  • Unique grub screws to prevent cutting wire:
dvALL5Y.jpg

I have already acquired 3 of these little beauties and have done the following builds:

On the first one I started off with a single coil in between the post holes, right above the drain hole. This, however, made positioning the air holes problematic, but still gave impressive results. Made with 26 g Kanthal, 7 wraps, 2,5 mm ID at 0.87 ohms. Wicked with Cotton Bacon V2.

n1q7AAt.jpg

U1Q98nb.jpg

Next up was 26 g Kanthal, 8 wraps, 2.5 mm ID at 0.95 ohms. Initially wicked with Cotton Bacon V2, but later, after tilting the coil, with 2.7 mm ceramic wicking. Currently in use.

pbFCa5a.jpg

2OxObx0.jpg

My second OL16 is graced with 27 g SS304, 7 wraps on a 3.5 mm ID at 0.77 ohms. Wicked with 4.0 mm ceramic wicking.

4tuxIjY.jpg

accxvAa.jpg

The third OL16 sports dual coils, 28 g Kanthal, 5 wraps each on a 2.5 mm ID mandrel at 0.58 ohms. Ceramic 2.7 mm wick.

TMYP3x8.jpg

yJTFYjc.jpg

HOX31SU.jpg

@Andre, great review. My current setup on my OL16 is the dual coil. Superb vape and taste. My airflow is set on dual "smallest openings "

Ok. Now I want one. Only problem is I have to hand 2 cyclones not in use to sombody first.

I'm so jealous of you guys, but I'm not willing to pay more than R500-R600 for an atomizer. R1000+ for an atty is just daylight robbery imo

I'm so jealous of you guys, but I'm not willing to pay more than R500-R600 for an atomizer. R1000+ for an atty is just daylight robbery imo

I hate the price too.. but.....it is superb :nod:
I have no complaints whatsoever. I've got my eye on a third O16 but that's dependent on the exchange rate, which I doubt will get better anytime soon. :-(

Got me some prebuilt Claptons from @Vaperite South Africa, based on @Rob Fisher's advice re the ID of these coils for my 2.7 mm ceramic wick.

qDQJHjS.jpg

Got it installed in my OL 16.

I89mEMi.jpg

16tGSU4.jpg

And the ceramic wick is a perfect fit. Do not even need to cut the end at an angle to get it in, @Genosmate.

aiilSpp.jpg

Nice, smooth vape.

Got me some prebuilt Claptons from @Vaperite South Africa, based on @Rob Fisher's advice re the ID of these coils for my 2.7 mm ceramic wick.

qDQJHjS.jpg

Got it installed in my OL 16.

I89mEMi.jpg

16tGSU4.jpg

And the ceramic wick is a perfect fit. Do not even need to cut the end at an angle to get it in, @Genosmate.

aiilSpp.jpg

Nice, smooth vape.
@ Andre, damn.......more Vapemail, you guys must stop posting this..........beautiful pics. Jokes aside, Andre that looks super.

Is ceramic wick like silica?
It is similar in texture, but not the same thing at all as far as I know. Here some information from rbasupplies.com:

READYxWICK™ is RBA Supplies LLC's premium quality fully treated ceramic wick that has been treated to our exacting standards which far exceeds the required treatment schedule set forth for what is considered to be safe for this material. Through our proprietary heat treatment schedule and procedure, we are able to produce a superior product for our industry that raises the bar in performance and reliability resulting in the absolute best product available for your use. Untreated ceramic wick should never be used, for ANYTHING, which is why we are so adamant about properly treating the material to our exacting standards to help assure your safe use.

THIS PRODUCT MUST REMAIN IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA It is illegal to export this product outside of the USA.
Failure to comply with this regulation may result in fines and penalties up to and exceeding $750,000.00 PER INFRACTION.

READYxWICK™ is heat rated to 2600°F burst temperature and 2200°F continuous temperature.

READYxWICK™ is a ceramic based wicking material that has been heat treated to well OVER the suggested heat treatment schedule of 1652°F for 12+ hours to ensure that we are producing the safest product available on the market today. Our exact and proprietary heating method and schedule (Time, Temp, and Steps) is a protected secret, but we have spent months and literally thousands of feet of XC perfecting and producing the absolute best results with our unique and proprietary treatment schedule and method.

This is why we have chosen to "brand" and trademark our ceramic wick, so that you will know when you have a certified quality bag of ceramic wicking material which has been treated to our exacting standards from RBA Supplies.

@Christos ,we must try to get hold of this stuff, it looks so tempting. Oom Rob send me some rayon that I use to wick one of my Reo's for Menthol juice, and ja it rocks, I can really taste the deference. Have you wicked with fibre freaks no.2. I wicked this morning for Blackbird, and the flavor is outstanding. What I found with Fibre Freak is that you must keep your wick wet, to produce good flavors.

@Christos ,we must try to get hold of this stuff, it looks so tempting. Oom Rob send me some rayon that I use to wick one of my Reo's for Menthol juice, and ja it rocks, I can really taste the deference. Have you wicked with fibre freaks no.2. I wicked this morning for Blackbird, and the flavor is outstanding. What I found with Fibre Freak is that you must keep your wick wet, to produce good flavors.
Yup I use fibre freaks #2 and occasionally cotton bacon.
I usually cut a square and stretch it and then roll it into a wick. Not quite the Scottish roll but similar.
Oom Rob also got me on the rayon. Gave me some when I met him in Durban.

Hi Guys. I have build this atty alot, and thought I found my sweet spot with dual micro coils. My newest build is with NI80 wire, 3mm,6 wraps, wick with cotton bacon v2, filled with Metador..... Jackpot. DSC_0090.JPG DSC_0091.JPG DSC_0091.JPG

lol.....those are macro coils.

I teeter back and forth on what my favorite bf atty's are. For me it's all about flavor, but it's also about what makes for a nice compact package. Love the Nuppin's on my 18650 metal and wood Reos/LP/Sl Mini 2.1, Chalice on the Baby Woodvils and STD Mini 2.1's... but on my Mini 1.0's the O-16's get top billing and rule the roost. As a long, slow lung hitter air delivery and builds to match the joose get priority. So I have done a lot of builds on them before I settled on KISS dual 3mm for cotton pulled and rolled, and dual builds for 3mm RxW... all with the largest intakes wide open.

Unfortunately I can't use one on my 2011 OG Mini (hate the tootle puffer Hornet), but all my Mini 1.0's run them.

minios.jpg

Currently my TOP bottom fed atomizer and I have used many.
  • First, and foremost, it is excellent in all three elements - flavour, vapour and throat hit. Like someone on ECF said "Reduced chamber resulting in very, very good flavour. Effectively, it's 14 mm performance for flavour with larger atty vapor - quite a nice combo.".
  • Flawless craftsmanship.
  • AFC gives many options. Single or dual. Wide open for direct to lung hits (some say mid DL) and closes down for pure mouth to lung.
pwaw9vU.jpg
  • The built in heat sinks works great - I use SS or titanium drip tips and no heat gets transferred from the atty. Being so small the atty does get hot. Compared to a Nuppin and RM2:
h9CugSo.jpg
  • Despite side air holes I have experienced minimal leaking and carry it in my shirt pocket with confidence.
  • The way the posts are situated opens up the interior for very large ID coils. I have done a 3.5 mm ID coil, which fits with ease. Am sure one can go even larger if need be.
  • Each post has two holes for wire. I have found that inserting the coil tails diagonally works best and makes for the most secure fastening and connection.
9Vw41WW.jpg
  • Unique grub screws to prevent cutting wire:
dvALL5Y.jpg

I have already acquired 3 of these little beauties and have done the following builds:

On the first one I started off with a single coil in between the post holes, right above the drain hole. This, however, made positioning the air holes problematic, but still gave impressive results. Made with 26 g Kanthal, 7 wraps, 2,5 mm ID at 0.87 ohms. Wicked with Cotton Bacon V2.

n1q7AAt.jpg

U1Q98nb.jpg

Next up was 26 g Kanthal, 8 wraps, 2.5 mm ID at 0.95 ohms. Initially wicked with Cotton Bacon V2, but later, after tilting the coil, with 2.7 mm ceramic wicking. Currently in use.

pbFCa5a.jpg

2OxObx0.jpg

My second OL16 is graced with 27 g SS304, 7 wraps on a 3.5 mm ID at 0.77 ohms. Wicked with 4.0 mm ceramic wicking.

4tuxIjY.jpg

accxvAa.jpg

The third OL16 sports dual coils, 28 g Kanthal, 5 wraps each on a 2.5 mm ID mandrel at 0.58 ohms. Ceramic 2.7 mm wick.

TMYP3x8.jpg

yJTFYjc.jpg

HOX31SU.jpg
The cactus flower in the one pic is epic. I love my succulents.

Darn fine atty, the O-16. I struggled with getting a flavourful build dialled in, but finally landed on a single 28g twisted center z-coil (.5 ohms) with KGD wicking. The secret was pairing it with the right juice (an impetuous DIY absinthe blend) and getting the air right (positioning, more than air hole size).

Once I had the variables sussed, it has been stellar. Very middle of the road up until then, though.

Hi @Papa_Lazarou

I would like to get a new P67 at some point

The only thing is to decide what atty to get for it.
My atties i love are the trusty RM2 (for mouth to lung) and the Nuppin (for direct lung hits)
I am thinking of getting this OL16 because i know @Andre and several others here like it a lot.
Thanks for the extra tips - looks like this is the one to get for me.

Darn fine atty, the O-16. I struggled with getting a flavourful build dialled in, but finally landed on a single 28g twisted center z-coil (.5 ohms) with KGD wicking. The secret was pairing it with the right juice (an impetuous DIY absinthe blend) and getting the air right (positioning, more than air hole size).

Once I had the variables sussed, it has been stellar. Very middle of the road up until then, though.

Sometimes just the mechanics we have to work through with any atty to get it perfect for our "own" tastes. I found the 0-16's to be quite easy to dial in to each of the liquids I run in them. Part of that is really knowing the liquids themselves, but the versatile/easy build deck on these little gems make T&E a breeze to do on them.

Back