Univapo UA25 Sub-ohm tank review (wow flavour, but..)

Quintusson

Life is good and I am blessed :)
Supporting Vendor
LV

Awards
This is my first time ever doing a review, so buckle up and enjoy the ride with me :)

Univapo UA25 Sub-ohm tank

First impressions when I looked at the tank was literally “oooooh, pretty!” and it is. They sent me the rainbow coloured one (how did they know? Although the blue would have been nice as well) and what I like is that it’s not a overpowering rainbow colouring. It’s a subtle blend of the colours with a slight bit of the stainless steel still coming through. Some tanks have a in-your-face rainbow colouring happening but not here. If I was not using this tank, it would go on my display case as it’s a really good looking tank.

It comes pre-installed with the bubble glass and a 0.2Ohm Mesh coil however in the packaging you will find a straight glass as well as well as an additional 0.4Ohm Mesh coil and some rubber o-rings. On their site (https://www.univapo.com/Tanks/ua25-tank/) they indicate that there are three different coils available, nl. 0.2Ohm, 0.4Ohm and a RBA (not included in the package). As I prefer low ohms I stuck to the 0.2Ohm coil it came with.

The fill port at the top is nice a big so no need to worry about using almost any type of bottle, even the old dropper bottles with the nubby tips. Filling is quite easy and the juice flows throughout the whole glass partition and I did not have to pause once to wait for it to expel air or anything or for the juice to move to other parts (small things which I have pet peeves about).

Now as for getting to the fill port. This was interesting. You need to twist the top cap anti-clockwise and then pull it up, but do not let go as it has a spring action which, if let go, will have it jump back into place. You also cannot pull the top cap up if you have not turned it all way. I believe these are some of the safety features they built in to make it more childproof and I approve of it, very much so. Once you have lifted the top cap you need to slide it out and then it reveals the filling port. This is where I have to mark them down slightly as there is no indication which way to slide to. So you would literally be sitting there pulling it all different ways until you figure out, oh, this way. A little indicator would help here, not critical issue, but notable. Once you’ve filled it, slide the top cap back and it jumps down in place and then just rotate it clockwise again. Thing is, once you’ve turned it clockwise, there is nothing that locks it in place there, so you could fill it, pop the top cap back and leave it. Again, not a major issue, just something I noted.

Taking the coil out and installing a new one is very simple, as is with most Sub-ohm tanks. You just need to unscrew the base, unscrew the coil that’s in there and screw the new one in. Replacing the glass from the bubble glass to the straight glass is also just as simple. While the base is unscrewed you pop the one off and put the other one in its place.

Now the other thing they brag about on the site is the airflow and boy oh boy this thing has airflow! I love a nice loose draw with lots of airflow but even I must admit, on full open this thing reminds me of my Fatality M25. I swear it has more airflow than my first car’s aircon. Fortunately it’s an adjustable airflow so two clicks to the right and it was more in line with what I like. Two clicks? Yes, two clicks. See, they decided that the airflow should not be a smooth twist where you can regulate to your exact requirements (for those of you who like using anemometers to check their airflow) but rather a system of 6 different settings (where 1 is completely closed and 6 is completely open) however I find that setting 4 was perfect for me and I enjoyed the inhale on that level.

Speaking of the airflow, one thing about this tank is it whistles. Yes, I tried to imitate a wolf whistle with it but not as successful as I had hoped. Now I am not sure what in its aerodynamics would cause this whistle, but if you were to try and stealth vape somewhere you’d be better off trying it with something else. Is it irritating? No, not really but on the other hand I get used to things quite quickly.

The other feature they brag about on their site is the "drip tip inverted groove design". This was another feature which drew me to this tank as I was extremely curious about this. I tried to take a photo of this (see below) but one can better see this feature on their site. Does it matter I hear you say? If it doesn’t affect flavour, then what is it for? Well they say that it “prevent(s) condensation climbing into the mouth along with the vapour”. I probably have to vape on it quite a bit more to determine this exactly, but what it does do is it creates a slight vortex while inhaling and yes, it does affect flavour... for the positive! (Side note, if I do decide to move back to my RTA again, this tip is going with).

Now here’s a thing, but I want to retest with the other coil to see if it persists or if I was just unlucky. The first time I filled this tank, about 5 minutes later (being a sub-ohm tank one needs to leave it a while for the juice to pull into the coils) I pulled and my mouth was full of juice. A few seconds later and my mod was full of juice. Oh no!! I immediately took the base off and checked that the fitted coil was properly in place. I probably should have done that before I filled it but being my first time testing something and not having used a Sub-ohm tank in years, it was not something that first came to mind. The coil seemed to be properly in place and after I blew out all the excess juice in the airflow compartment it was good to go.

I then proceeded to vape about a 1/3 of the remaining tank and with great hesitation I filled it again. No leakage! Seems it was just my dumb luck with the initial testing and this time around it was all good, but something to note is that one needs to check the coil first, just in case.

Now, let’s get down to the most important part, the flavour. I mean, why else are we vaping (except for health reasons)? We want flavour! And I am a huge flavour chaser (hence why MTL never worked for me). Now I am directly comparing this to my daily driver, the Hellvape Rebirth RTA (@jaihaze's first words after taking a pull on it was “wow”), running dual coil quad-core aliens, so it has big shoes to fill. I hate to admit it, but damn, this thing gives my Rebirth a run for its money. It’s what one can refer to as a wet vape (without getting any juice in your mouth) and the flavour is really good, I mean really good! I was honestly surprised that a Sub-ohm tank can produce so much flavour. It really brings out the different aspects of the juice to the level that you can almost taste the different concentrates which were used in making the juice. I like it, I really like it!

I can live with many things, I get used to them. Okay, there are a few things, like the leaking, if that happens again this will be shelved and remembered fondly, but if that does not happen again, then I can definitely see myself buying some coils for this tank to use on a more frequent basis.

So, in short, pros and cons. Let’s start with the cons:
1. The leaking. Okay, granted, this may not be a con as it may have just been my dumb luck, but it needs to be noted.
2. Figuring out which side to slide the top cap to get to the fill port
3. The whistling. Yes, I will get used to it, but not everybody else will

The pros:
1. The flavour. Oh my goodness the flavour. It’s like stainless steel coils meet NI-80’s. You get the goodness of the NI-80 flavour profiles with the sharp attention to detail of the stainless steel.
2. The look. Have I mentioned how pretty it is? The subtle colouring, the lines that are engraved into it. It’s just a really good looking tank.
3. The nice big fill port. Quite a number of tanks out there do not facilitate the use of dropper bottles, which I prefer, so this is an advantage for me.
4. The airflow. You can have Hurricane Katrina in your mouth or you can take it really low, almost MTL-style. The fact that the airflow adjustment is clicky does not matter as the various levels you have available should suit all needs.
5. The drip tip. It really helps with the flavour and it’s very unique! How it performs condensation wise is something I still need to guage.
6. Did I mention the flavour? Seriously, for a sub-ohm, this thing is banging! It can be a slight con as well as so much flavour might lead to ‘vapers tongue’, but I will chance that.

Would I recommend it to someone else? Ooh, now this is tricky. I want to, I really, really want to but if this leaking thing is common then I do not want to be the cause of lost mods. But that being said, yes I will, solely based on the flavour and then warn them to check the coils.

Rating... 6/10

Wait, what?! After bragging about the flavour so much?! Yes, the flavour is awesome, but one needs to remember the cons as well. I have now filled it three times (no leaking on second or third time) but I have battled to find the way the top cap needs to slide open every time! C’mon Univapo, a small dot or arrow or something please?

(big pull, inhale)

Okay, 7/10

Cheers,
ivc_mixer

(Excuse the pics below, I am not a professional photographer or even an amateur at best, but this is what I thought would look good)

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.11.40 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.11.40 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.11.40 PM (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.11.40 PM (3).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.11.40 PM (4).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.11.40 PM (5).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.11.40 PM (6).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.11.40 PM (7).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.11.40 PM (8).jpeg

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they brag that this tank will not make your juice turn brown. This is a bold claim but one I can only fully comment on in about a week to two weeks time when the coils have fully settled. Will post here to let everyone know.

I saw this tank and found its design features very interesting. Great, honest review, I look forward to hearing the updates. The flavour is really appealing!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they brag that this tank will not make your juice turn brown. This is a bold claim but one I can only fully comment on in about a week to two weeks time when the coils have fully settled. Will post here to let everyone know.
Nice details. Awesome Review!

Okay, so a few updates.

First update is on the drip tip. The claim is that there is less condensation in your mouth. Is this true? It probably is, very slightly so, but must be. I say must be as I have been using it on my Rebirth RTA and now twice today already I have had to clean out the chimney with a tissue as there is much more condensation build-up in there and then eventually one gets some juice into your mouth. So the question is, is the lesser condensation into your mouth worth it? I am not sure, but I do not think so. Personally I have changed back to my normal drip tip for now.

Then after speaking to some more clever people than myself, I can confirm that the coil must be a stainless steel coil and not a NI-80/SS setup as mentioned in my review (I do not have much experience with SS, so I apologise for my ignorance on this). Please remember this before making a purchase as not everyone is fond of SS coils. I have looked through all the documentation in the packaging as well as on their site and they only specify it as being a "mesh coil", no mention of the build type.

Lastly, I have now refilled about 6 times and no further leaking occurred. :)

Back