Vapefly Galaxies MTL RTA

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Galaxies MTL RTA from Vapefly. The Galaxies MTL RTA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Vapefly.

http://www.vapefly.net/vapefly-galaxies-mtl-rta/

Introduction

The first Vapefly tank i bought was the Vapefly Nicolas which i still use from time to time with the 0.6ohm coil for an airy 23W MTL vape. Since then i have seen them release a couple more tanks, RTA's, RDA'S and even an RDTA and although i haven't used any of them until now i have followed thier products and both seen and read some very favourable reviews yet i don't really here Vapefly being talked about much in general, they must be one of the most underrated manufacturers. The Galaxies MTL RTA has a unique airflow system which uses a gearwheel airflow control and a inner airflow block set, this gives so many combinations and allows any MTL vaper to get exactly the desirable airflow that suits there style of MTL vaping.

In the Box

Contents:

1 x Vapefly Galaxies MTL RTA(3ml) TPD Edition(2ml)
1 x Extra 510 drip tip
1 x Bubble glass tube for 5ml
1 x Cube airflow set
1 x T-piece
1 x Allen key
1 x Organic cotton
2 x Coils (Ni80 2.5mm ID 1ohm 26ga)
O-rings & Screws
1 x Manual

Aesthetics

The Galaxies MTL RTA comes in standard cardboard packaging and along with the RTA included is a bunch of extras including a delrin drip tip which is identical in style to the pre-installed PMMA drip tip. I received the Stainless Steels version, it's also available in Black and Gold. The top of the tank is stepped to seamlessly meet the MTL style frosted drip tip, the top-cap has slight texturing in 2 small areas but i didn't find it helped much with grip. The bottom of the tank has 2 gearwheels (one either side) to adjust the airflow and underneath these are the airflow inlets. The base of the tank has etched branding and safety stamps, the protruding 510 pin is gold plated. The clearly visible air chamber has "GALAXIES" printed in fancy Black font, the build quality is top notch with excellent threading and machining.

Galaxies MTL RTA Specs:

Diameter: 22.22mm
Height: 49.45mm with drip tip
Material: Stainless Steel & Glass
Single Coil Build
Drip Tip: PMMA (Orange or Clear) & Delrin
Capacity:2ml(TPD Edition)/3ml(Standard Edition)
Innovative 8-level gearwheel airflow control
Inner cube airflow set for more air inlet
Spare 5ml bubble glass included
Easy single coil building deck
Thread: 510 thread
Colours: Black, Stainless Steel, Gold

Assembling and Disassembling

Separating the RTA into it's various parts is a very simple procedure. The top-cap unscrews (the drip tip can be pulled out of the top-cap) and the base with deck also unscrews from the air chamber. Once done the glass can be wiggled free leaving just the air chamber with juice ports ring. You can then fit the 5ml bubble glass if you prefer or if you have the TPD version you can also fit the bubble glass or remove the silicone bung to increase the straight glass capacity to 3ml. Assembling the tank is a breeze and as already mentioned all the threading is top notch (very high quality).

The Airflow

The Airflow on the Galaxies MTL RTA is very unique, you have two independent airflows (one either side) which you alter by turning little gearwheels. One side has settings 1 and 2 the other settings 3 and 4, setting 1 is a 0.8mm diameter hole, setting 2 1.4mm hole, setting 3 1.2mm hole and finally setting 4 is a 1.6mm hole. You can set the airflow on any of the 4 settings by simply turning the correct wheel to get the setting you want and then closing the opposite side, but it also gives you the option of having mix and match airflow either side. You also receive 2 airflow blocks that each have 2 different airflow settings, which ever one of the blocks is desired can be placed centrally between the posts over the main airflow outlet and is fastened into place with a high quality flat head screw. The settings on one block is a 1.3mm air-hole and 2 x 1.1mm air-holes. The other block has a 1.6mm air-hole and a 2.6mm x 1.2mm air-hole. Using any of your independent outer airflow settings in combination with the air block settings give so many different configurations. The airflow on this RTA is in my view the biggest pro yet it is also the only con i can find with the RTA as it can take quite a while to figure out the perfect setting to suit you but it's time well spent.

The Deck

I have already mentioned the air block that can be fitted so what about the rest of the deck? The Galaxies RTA is a 2 post, (one hole in each) single coil deck, the holes are open cutouts so your legs are placed in from above then fixed in position from the side with good quality flathead grub screws (you get both another set of flathead grub screws plus a set of hex grub screws in case you prefer them), you need your coil legs to be in opposite directions to fit in place. Fitting the coil in place is very easy and it will position your coil nice and low so if you have the air block in place just double check it's not touching to avoid shorting. Wicking is straight forward, the usual put your cotton ends in the wick channels without over stuffing, the liquid enters the wicking channels from below.

Filling the Tank

Once the cotton has been primed and the tank screwed back together the tank can be filled. Simply unscrew the top-cap which reveals 2 very generous juice ports, fill and screw the top-cap back on. The only thing to mention here is although the threading is spot on i found a combination of the top-cap fitting tight and lack of grip made it a little difficult to unscrew, not heard anything elsewhere so it might just be the tank i received or i'm turning into a super whimp.

Performance

It's excellent it really is, i am an airy MTL vaper by choice when i choose to MTL but i also review e-liquid and although not mentioned in those reviews as well as the testing equipment i use when trying e-liquid i also give them a blast with a tight MTL pull. The tank i have been using for that is the Berserker Mini which in my opinion gives excellent flavour, but the Galaxies MTL RTA just edges it so i will be using this RTA a lot in the future. The versatility with the airflow is fantastic allowing for subtle changes right from a very tight pull right up to a very restrictive direct lung hit. The build i did using one of the 1.0ohm supplied coils that actually came out at 0.86 i used at 14W with a tight airflow and 20W with my usual airy MTL style.

Conclusion

Fair enough i have not used as many MTL RTA's as a lot of reviewers but the Galaxies MTL RTA is definitely the best MTL RTA i have used to date.

Pros

Airflow system unique
Loads of airflow options
Easy build
Very tight MTL right up to very restricted lung hit
Flavour Excellent
High build quality
Very nice looking
Large capacity
Loads of extras
Removable bung on TPD edition

Cons

Found top-cap a little difficult to undo
Can take a bit of time working out the best airflow combination

I would once again like to thank Vapefly for supplying the Galaxies MTL RTA for the purpose of this review.

Thanks @Timwis
Very interesting

Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Galaxies MTL RTA from Vapefly. The Galaxies MTL RTA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Vapefly.

Introduction

The first Vapefly tank i bought was the Vapefly Nicolas which i still use from time to time with the 0.6ohm coil for an airy 23W MTL vape. Since then i have seen them release a couple more tanks, RTA's, RDA'S and even an RDTA and although i haven't used any of them until now i have followed thier products and both seen and read some very favourable reviews yet i don't really here Vapefly being talked about much in general, they must be one of the most underrated manufacturers. The Galaxies MTL RTA has a unique airflow system which uses a gearwheel airflow control and a inner airflow block set, this gives so many combinations and allows any MTL vaper to get exactly the desirable airflow that suits there style of MTL vaping.

In the Box

Contents:

1 x Vapefly Galaxies MTL RTA(3ml) TPD Edition(2ml)
1 x Extra 510 drip tip
1 x Bubble glass tube for 5ml
1 x Cube airflow set
1 x T-piece
1 x Allen key
1 x Organic cotton
2 x Coils (Ni80 2.5mm ID 1ohm 26ga)
O-rings & Screws
1 x Manual

Aesthetics

The Galaxies MTL RTA comes in standard cardboard packaging and along with the RTA included is a bunch of extras including a delrin drip tip which is identical in style to the pre-installed PMMA drip tip. I received the Stainless Steels version, it's also available in Black and Gold. The top of the tank is stepped to seamlessly meet the MTL style frosted drip tip, the top-cap has slight texturing in 2 small areas but i didn't find it helped much with grip. The bottom of the tank has 2 gearwheels (one either side) to adjust the airflow and underneath these are the airflow inlets. The base of the tank has etched branding and safety stamps, the protruding 510 pin is gold plated. The clearly visible air chamber has "GALAXIES" printed in fancy Black font, the build quality is top notch with excellent threading and machining.

Galaxies MTL RTA Specs:

Diameter: 22.22mm
Height: 49.45mm with drip tip
Material: Stainless Steel & Glass
Single Coil Build
Drip Tip: PMMA (Orange or Clear) & Delrin
Capacity:2ml(TPD Edition)/3ml(Standard Edition)
Innovative 8-level gearwheel airflow control
Inner cube airflow set for more air inlet
Spare 5ml bubble glass included
Easy single coil building deck
Thread: 510 thread
Colours: Black, Stainless Steel, Gold

Assembling and Disassembling

Separating the RTA into it's various parts is a very simple procedure. The top-cap unscrews (the drip tip can be pulled out of the top-cap) and the base with deck also unscrews from the air chamber. Once done the glass can be wiggled free leaving just the air chamber with juice ports ring. You can then fit the 5ml bubble glass if you prefer or if you have the TPD version you can also fit the bubble glass or remove the silicone bung to increase the straight glass capacity to 3ml. Assembling the tank is a breeze and as already mentioned all the threading is top notch (very high quality).

The Airflow

The Airflow on the Galaxies MTL RTA is very unique, you have two independent airflows (one either side) which you alter by turning little gearwheels. One side has settings 1 and 2 the other settings 3 and 4, setting 1 is a 0.8mm diameter hole, setting 2 1.4mm hole, setting 3 1.2mm hole and finally setting 4 is a 1.6mm hole. You can set the airflow on any of the 4 settings by simply turning the correct wheel to get the setting you want and then closing the opposite side, but it also gives you the option of having mix and match airflow either side. You also receive 2 airflow blocks that each have 2 different airflow settings, which ever one of the blocks is desired can be placed centrally between the posts over the main airflow outlet and is fastened into place with a high quality flat head screw. The settings on one block is a 1.3mm air-hole and 2 x 1.1mm air-holes. The other block has a 1.6mm air-hole and a 2.6mm x 1.2mm air-hole. Using any of your independent outer airflow settings in combination with the air block settings give so many different configurations. The airflow on this RTA is in my view the biggest pro yet it is also the only con i can find with the RTA as it can take quite a while to figure out the perfect setting to suit you but it's time well spent.

The Deck

I have already mentioned the air block that can be fitted so what about the rest of the deck? The Galaxies RTA is a 2 post, (one hole in each) single coil deck, the holes are open cutouts so your legs are placed in from above then fixed in position from the side with good quality flathead grub screws (you get both another set of flathead grub screws plus a set of hex grub screws in case you prefer them), you need your coil legs to be in opposite directions to fit in place. Fitting the coil in place is very easy and it will position your coil nice and low so if you have the air block in place just double check it's not touching to avoid shorting. Wicking is straight forward, the usual put your cotton ends in the wick channels without over stuffing, the liquid enters the wicking channels from below.

Filling the Tank

Once the cotton has been primed and the tank screwed back together the tank can be filled. Simply unscrew the top-cap which reveals 2 very generous juice ports, fill and screw the top-cap back on. The only thing to mention here is although the threading is spot on i found a combination of the top-cap fitting tight and lack of grip made it a little difficult to unscrew, not heard anything elsewhere so it might just be the tank i received or i'm turning into a super whimp.

Performance

It's excellent it really is, i am an airy MTL vaper by choice when i choose to MTL but i also review e-liquid and although not mentioned in those reviews as well as the testing equipment i use when trying e-liquid i also give them a blast with a tight MTL pull. The tank i have been using for that is the Berserker Mini which in my opinion gives excellent flavour, but the Galaxies MTL RTA just edges it so i will be using this RTA a lot in the future. The versatility with the airflow is fantastic allowing for subtle changes right from a very tight pull right up to a very restrictive direct lung hit. The build i did using one of the 1.0ohm supplied coils that actually came out at 0.86 i used at 14W with a tight airflow and 20W with my usual airy MTL style.

Conclusion

Fair enough i have not used as many MTL RTA's as a lot of reviewers but the Galaxies MTL RTA is definitely the best MTL RTA i have used to date.

Pros

Airflow system unique
Loads of airflow options
Easy build
Very tight MTL right up to very restricted lung hit
Flavour Excellent
High build quality
Very nice looking
Large capacity
Loads of extras
Removable bung on TPD edition

Cons

Found top-cap a little difficult to undo
Can take a bit of time working out the best airflow combination

I would once again like to thank Vapefly for supplying the Galaxies MTL RTA for the purpose of this review.

Thanks @Timwis , I have the RDA for squonking, and also playing with airflow. Might now also have to look at the RTA as an addition to the MTL arsenal I’m building on!

As usual a great review with a lot of relevant info to ponder after the initial read.

Back