Vaping association

DaveH

Vaping Enthusiast
LV

Awards
Is there a Vaping Association of South Africa or something similar?
Dave

Is there a Vaping Association of South Africa or something similar?
Dave

Hi @DaveH , good question
There is EASA
Check out Easa.org.za but am not sure how active they are yet

Hi Silver thanks, had a quick look seems more for the vendors and manufacturers.
Dave

Why would you want one? Did you belong to a smokers association when you smoked cigarettes?
No I didn't belong to a smokers association because I didn't know there was one.
One of the main reasons of having an association (of anything really) is the collective voice.

I think that vaping should disassociate with the word cigarette and should never be 'lumped' together with the smoking of tobacco. Vaping should be considered as a totally separate identity and therefore be dealt as such.
That's my view - pretty useless on it own but if we had a collective voice may have some weight.

Dave

Why would you want one? Did you belong to a smokers association when you smoked cigarettes?

Because soon what is happening in the USA will spill over to SA and we'll need an association that will fight for our rights. You know this stupid government copies everything from other countries and I'm sure this government benefits just as much from the smoking companies as the other governments do, so yeah, I think we need one.

It seems to me the vaping communities are always on the 'back foot' having to defend itself and prove what is said about vaping is untrue. I just think we should stand on the 'front foot' and be more offensive and let them prove us wrong.

I can give you a for instance "Vaping will save lives" - Now I don't have to prove that - you must prove it wrong.
Dave

Another way to fight back, the tobacco industry has done us (as vapors) no favours whatsoever - we should fight back by lobbying to ban outright tobacco products in the form of smoking.
Dave

Apparently there is. it's called the Vapour Products Association of South Africa. (VPASA) I'm currently checking their credentials as they seem to be hiding behind a multinational outfit called Africa Practice.com I just asked what there relationship with EASA is, still waiting for a reply. Also to their claim to be an NPO because as an ex NPO Director myself, I'm aware of what is required, (like registration with the Dep't of Social Development for one.....)

Edit. That's interesting, just typed EASA.org.za and it came up with http://vpasa.org.za/

Go figure.

M_tu

Last edited:
Apparently there is. it's called the Vapour Products Association of South Africa. (VPASA) I'm currently checking their credentials as they seem to be hiding behind a multinational outfit called Africa Practice.com I just asked what there relationship with EASA is, still waiting for a reply. Also to their claim to be an NPO because as an ex NPO Director myself, I'm aware of what is required, (like registration with the Dep't of Social Development for one.....)

Edit. That's interesting, just typed EASA.org.za and it came up with http://vpasa.org.za/

Go figure.

M_tu
Interesting website, 25 of march anyone?

They're "restructuring" at the moment, at least that's what they told me when I tried to join.

They're "restructuring" at the moment, at least that's what they told me when I tried to join.

Yeah, on that 'joining' thing...

Membership Fee Structure.
Manufacturers/ Wholesalers: R5000 Per month Direct Debit
Retailers/ Consumers: R3000 Per Month direct Debit

Erm.........

Geez and what's in return...

Funny, I asked the same thing. In return, for your hard earned money you get, (and don't get caught in the rush):

10.6 Full membership
10.6.1 Full membership is exclusively open to the founders, retailers and manufacturers operating in the Republic of South Africa vapour products industry (the “industry”) who meets the criteria as laid out in terms of the Code of Conduct from time to time.
10.6.2 All applicants must:
10.6.2.1 be actively involved in the vapour products industry;
10.6.2.2 be of good standing in the industry;
10.6.2.3 have, as its principal business, the sale of vapour products and accessories to vapour products;
10.6.3 A Full Member shall be entitled to one vote on a show of hands or a poll at any general meeting of the Company.
10.7 Associate membership
10.7.1 Associate membership is open to persons and companies who are aligned with the Code of Conduct as well as the aims of the Company and:
10.7.1.1 who are associated with the industry through manufacturing, supply or rendering of professional services; or
10.7.1.2 representing special interest group/s that can influence the development of the industry in South Africa.
10.7.2 Persons eligible to become Associate Members include, but are not limited to consultants, manufacturers and suppliers of vapour products and vapour accessories, organizations, associations or private individuals.
10.7.2 An Associate Member shall be entitled to attend and speak at any general meeting of the Company but shall not be entitled to vote.
VAPOUR PRODUCT ASSOCIATION Cape Town Convention Centre: Heerengracht Street, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, 8000
10.8 Applications for admission
10.8.1 Applications for admission as a Full Member or an Associate
Member must be addressed in writing to the Chairperson of the Board. Such applications must contain a commitment to abide by the MOI and the Code of Conduct of the Company and a commitment to meet the financial obligations of membership for the entire duration of membership.
10.8.2 The Board shall determine procedures for the admission of Members.
10.8.3 Candidates for membership and accepted members shall disclose such information as reasonably and equitably requested by the Board from time to time and under appropriate and clearly defined conditions of confidentiality.
10.9 Scrutiny of admissibility
10.9.1 The Board shall scrutinise the admissibility of the candidate for membership on the basis of the application for admission and the conditions as set out in paragraphs 10.6 and 10.7. The decision to admit an applicant for membership or to reject the application shall be at the sole and absolute discretion of the Board who shall not be required to give reasons for their decision.
10.9.2 If the Application for admission is accepted by the Board, the candidate shall become a Full Member or an Associate Member, as the case may be, of the Company upon receipt of the applicable dues and membership fees.
11. Termination of Membership
11.1 A Member's membership of the Company shall terminate if:
11.1.1 at a Meeting of the Board of which the Member shall have been given 21 clear days' notice and at which the Member shall have been given an opportunity of being heard, the Board resolves that:
11.1.1.1 in the sole discretion of the Board, he is guilty of conduct inimical to the interests and/or objects of the Company; or
11.1.1.2 in the sole discretion of the Board, it is inimical to the interests and/or objects of
the Company that the Member continues as a Member of the Company;
11.1.2 he is sequestrated, surrenders his estate (whether voluntarily or compulsorily), or being a company the Member is wound up or placed in business rescue proceedings (whether provisionally or finally and whether voluntarily or compulsorily);
11.1.3 he commits any act of insolvency;
11.1.4 he dies, or is declared insane or incapable of managing his own affairs;
11.1.5 if any Member assigns or transfers, or purports to assign or transfer, its membership contrary to the provision of this MOI;
11.1.6 in the event of non-compliance by a Member with any such obligations as may attach to his membership, upon the expiration of a period of three months reckoned from:
11.1.6.1 the date of written notice by the Company to the Member concerned requiring the remedying of such default, save that the Board shall be entitled to extend the period of grace allowed to a particular Member to such extent and for such reasons as it may in its sole and absolute discretion deem appropriate;
11.1.6.2 the date of written notice by the Company to the Member concerned notifying the Member that its annual levies or contribution, as laid down from time to time by the Board, are overdue, save that the Board shall have the power to reinstate such Member on such terms as to the
payment of arrears and otherwise as the Board think fit.
11.2 A Member whose membership has been terminated shall remain liable for all sums that may at the date of termination of his membership be due from it to the Company and shall not have any claim against the Company or its officers, its property or its funds.
11.3 A Member shall cease to be a Member of the Company if his membership is terminated in terms of paragraph 11.1 or on receipt by the Company of written notice of resignation from the Member. No Member shall be entitled to the return of any membership fees, or contributions paid to the Company and any such resigning Member whose resignation takes effect after the first day in any financial year shall nevertheless be liable for the payment of its annual levies or contributions, as laid down by the Board from time to time, for the year.
11.4 Certificates of membership may be issued under the authority of the Board in such manner and form as the Board may determine from time to time.
11.5 The Company shall maintain at its registered office a register of Members of the Company as provided in section 24(4) of the Companies Act, containing among other things the email address, postal address and fax number of each Member.

Further:

Tariro Chinaka
8 Feb (6 days ago) to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Martin,
You will be privy to regular industry briefs; attendance and participation in regular industry events; Indaba's; workshops. Depending on the tier of membership, it enables you to vote. All members are entitled to attend and speak at any general meeting. It will also a chance for your voice to be heard and to make a contribution to industry issues so that we can approach the issues faced by the industry with one united voice. This is particularly important given this year is a crucial year for the vaping industry in South Africa. The increasing popularity of vaping globally has led to health authorities adopting a cautious regulatory approach, with the South African Government pushing forward with plans for new restrictions on tobacco products. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best regards,
Tariro.

profile_mask2.png

Tariro Chinaka
13 Feb (1 day ago) to me

cleardot.gif

Hi Martin, I hope this email finds you well!
Your continued support to the vaping industry is greatly appreciated. As such I am following up on my previous email. We would like to encourage yourself and others to join the Association so that we can approach the issues faced by the industry with one united voice.
VPA is a non-profit organisation that will be audited by independent auditors. We seek to serve as a voice for the industry and advocate for a greater understanding and growth of the vapour products industry in South Africa.

-We hope to achieve an open and productive relationship with Government and regulators in order to facilitate appropriate industry regulation and consistent compliance to these clearly defined regulations.

-We also aim to work with Government to look at ways in which we can ensure that the industry reflects the diversity and culture of South Africa.

-We are also committed to working with research institutions and the medical fraternity to add to the growing body of Research on the benefits of vapour products

For any further information on joining, please feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards,
Tariro.

Last edited:
Further:

Tariro Chinaka
8 Feb (6 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Martin,
You will be privy to regular industry briefs; attendance and participation in regular industry events; Indaba's; workshops. Depending on the tier of membership, it enables you to vote. All members are entitled to attend and speak at any general meeting. It will also a chance for your voice to be heard and to make a contribution to industry issues so that we can approach the issues faced by the industry with one united voice. This is particularly important given this year is a crucial year for the vaping industry in South Africa. The increasing popularity of vaping globally has led to health authorities adopting a cautious regulatory approach, with the South African Government pushing forward with plans for new restrictions on tobacco products. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best regards,
Tariro.
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Tariro Chinaka
13 Feb (1 day ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Martin, I hope this email finds you well!
Your continued support to the vaping industry is greatly appreciated. As such I am following up on my previous email. We would like to encourage yourself and others to join the Association so that we can approach the issues faced by the industry with one united voice.
VPA is a non-profit organisation that will be audited by independent auditors. We seek to serve as a voice for the industry and advocate for a greater understanding and growth of the vapour products industry in South Africa.

-We hope to achieve an open and productive relationship with Government and regulators in order to facilitate appropriate industry regulation and consistent compliance to these clearly defined regulations.

-We also aim to work with Government to look at ways in which we can ensure that the industry reflects the diversity and culture of South Africa.

-We are also committed to working with research institutions and the medical fraternity to add to the growing body of Research on the benefits of vapour products

For any further information on joining, please feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards,
Tariro.

According to google that person is an associate consultant at Africapractice

Really?! Well sniffed. Meet the CEO of Africa Practice https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcus-courage-460b0731

M_tu
Ok so here's my theory....all public info

http://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/meet-boss-marcus-courage-ceo-africapractice/

1st job involved advising governments and now into advisory and capital formation.

They wanna get into the infancy of the industry start advising govs and also ecig startups with capital raising

Could be totally wrong and this is all above board.. dunno

Ok so some forward planning going on here. Someone wants to make a killing out of Vaping without actually doing anything. So you start a Vaping association with exorbitant membership fees then you advise government to make it compulsory for anyone involved in the Vaping industry to join your association. Vaping is going to become veeery expensive. :-(

... start a Vaping association with exorbitant membership fees then you advise government to make it compulsory for anyone involved in the Vaping industry to join your association.

You catch on quickly.

Just edit 'anyone' - to everyone. Simply study the history of SA Hunters/ Jagters since the FCA (Act 60 of 2000)

Bin there, done that, got the T-shirt.

M_tu

(Ex SAGA/ SAFF/ SALGO. GOSA NEC Steering Committee - 13 years.)

Back