VooPoo Drag - Not Accessible via PC App

SHiBBY

DIY Guru & Bargain Hunter Extraordinaire
LV

Awards
My VooPoo Drag charges fine via USB, i.e. the USB port is not busted, but I can for the life of me not get it to show up in the PC app in order to fiddle with the profiles and screens etc. I've tried reinstalling the software, connecting when off/on, connecting with/without batteries, connecting with/without atomizer, connecting using different cables... No luck.

There doesn't seem to be any way to hard reset it either. Any ideas?

My VooPoo Drag charges fine via USB, i.e. the USB port is not busted, but I can for the life of me not get it to show up in the PC app in order to fiddle with the profiles and screens etc. I've tried reinstalling the software, connecting when off/on, connecting with/without batteries, connecting with/without atomizer, connecting using different cables... No luck.

There doesn't seem to be any way to hard reset it either. Any ideas?

@SHiBBY it cud be the system is assigning a drive that is reserved ... had the issue on my gps... windows controller assigned drive z which was the backup partition

U need to go into control panel and assign a new drive letter

I checked Device Manager and did not see it showing up when plugging it in/out. I then also reviewed Drive Management to see if it was showing up as unpartitioned or with the incorrect drive letter, but no luck either. I then checked some online forums for general USB device recognition issues and uninstalled ALL entries under my Universal Serial Bus Controllers tab in Device Manager, followed by a restart which reinstalled all the drivers from scratch, but that didn't do the trick either.

Finally I plugged it into a colleague's PC and even that did not work. I'm baffled to say the least. As I mentioned, it charges without any issues, but there does not seem to be any data transmission capabilities. What a tollie one. I'll have to mail VooPoo.

I checked Device Manager and did not see it showing up when plugging it in/out. I then also reviewed Drive Management to see if it was showing up as unpartitioned or with the incorrect drive letter, but no luck either. I then checked some online forums for general USB device recognition issues and uninstalled ALL entries under my Universal Serial Bus Controllers tab in Device Manager, followed by a restart which reinstalled all the drivers from scratch, but that didn't do the trick either.

Finally I plugged it into a colleague's PC and even that did not work. I'm baffled to say the least. As I mentioned, it charges without any issues, but there does not seem to be any data transmission capabilities. What a tollie one. I'll have to mail VooPoo.
Does it not require being put in coms mode. Do not know the vpd but some mods do.

Regards

Does it not require being put in coms mode. Do not know the vpd but some mods do.

Regards

The User Guide just states that it should have at least 1 bar of battery power and it should be plug and play. Sent a mail to support@voopootech.com now for some assistance. I tried everything the interwebs had to offer.

I tested my Cylon - same story as yours.

The software that you installed - mine is the SMOANT client software. It's picking up my device but no drive letters or whatsoever bec it's not a hard drive partition. It's more like flash firmware that the software application works with

To my knowledge comms and charging would happen via separate contacts on the Drag's USB connector. That Device Manager doesn't even show a hint of something being connected or unplugged is a bit of a bad sign, I think. :(

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I've only hooked it up once since I got mine, but could it not be some windows security issues blocking the comms?

Just to confirm that I did try, I disabled Windows Defender in it's entirety. No luck.

To my knowledge comms and charging would happen via separate contacts on the Drag's USB connector. That Device Manager doesn't even show a hint of something being connected or unplugged is a bit of a bad sign, I think. :(

Yes that's true, USB has 4x pins: 5V+, GND, and 2x COMM. So the 5V+ and GND are obviously fine, but I immediately wonder how just two of the pins are non-responsive? The general condition of the port is pretty good in my opinion.

Yes that's true, USB has 4x pins: 5V+, GND, and 2x COMM. So the 5V+ and GND are obviously fine, but I immediately wonder how just two of the pins are non-responsive? The general condition of the port is pretty good in my opinion.
Only one would need to be borked to break communication, and the issue could be anywhere between USB connector and the Drag's chip I suppose. I can't think of anything relevant you haven't tried.

Hopefully Voopoo has better support than the norm for Chinese mod manufacturers...

My PC sees my Drag immediately when I connect it. @HapticSimian quite rightly said, A USB cable uses more than 2 cables. 5 in fact.

1 = 5V
2 = Data -
3 = Data +
4 = USB OTG ID
5 = Ground

There is a chance that VooPoo may have got/sold a bad batch of Micro USB connectors or a pin on the Drag's USB connector got damaged. It will charge like a dream, but it can't communicate with the PC because either pins 2, 3 or 4 are faulty or not making contact with the connector.
Pins 2 and 3 are obvious. They are your data pins. Pin 4 is the interesting one. To my understanding that is more like a handshake pin. That is to signal to the host, I am listening or I am talking. Very similar to PC serial port which has CTS/RTS or DSR/DTR handshakes.

I may be wrong, but that is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

My PC sees my Drag immediately when I connect it. @HapticSimian quite rightly said, A USB cable uses more than 2 cables. 5 in fact.

1 = 5V
2 = Data -
3 = Data +
4 = USB OTG ID
5 = Ground

There is a chance that VooPoo may have got/sold a bad batch of Micro USB connectors or a pin on the Drag's USB connector got damaged. It will charge like a dream, but it can't communicate with the PC because either pins 2, 3 or 4 are faulty or not making contact with the connector.
Pins 2 and 3 are obvious. They are your data pins. Pin 4 is the interesting one. To my understanding that is more like a handshake pin. That is to signal to the host, I am listening or I am talking. Very similar to PC serial port which has CTS/RTS or DSR/DTR handshakes.

I may be wrong, but that is the only logical explanation I can come up with.
All of my usb cables have 4 wires(red, black, white, green), so Im guessing pin4 otg id uses the metal sheath to communicate?

Another thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that the one of the USB connectors might ve got some juce or gunk in it which could also cause comms problems.

No luck from VooPoo just yet... Fast to sell, slow to support it seems :|

I tried cleaning the port today but still no luck. Might try a different OS as well.

No luck from VooPoo just yet... Fast to sell, slow to support it seems :|

I tried cleaning the port today but still no luck. Might try a different OS as well.

That may be something to look at. I have Windows XP and Windows 7. I have never loaded Windiws 10 on my personal computer, but I will be happy to test my Drag mod on a Windows 10 PC tomorrow and see if it works.

Some incremental feedback from VooPoo: Need to download, complete and send the form downloadable HERE (Click the Warranty tab) for them to be able to provide support.

The form requires the following information to be submitted:

- Personal details (Name, Address, Phone Number, etc.)
- Product Name (Drop down list)
- Purchase Date
- Product Serial Number
- Security Code (Located on the sticker on the back of the retail box)
- Product Problem (Drop down list)
- Problem Description

Along with the following media:

- Proof of purchase (In the event this is not available, the warranty period will start from the date of manufacture for a period of 180 days)
- Battery compartment photo (to show that the tamper seal is intact)
- Photos / Videos of the problem being experienced

Quite a bit of info to get through!

Last edited:
Some incremental feedback from VooPoo: Need to download, complete and send the form downloadable HERE (Click the Warranty tab) for them to be able to provide support.

The form requires the following information to be submitted:

- Personal details (Name, Address, Phone Number, etc.)
- Product Name (Drop down list)
- Purchase Date
- Product Serial Number
- Security Code (Located on the sticker on the back of the retail box)
- Product Problem (Drop down list)
- Problem Description

Along with the following media:

- Proof of purchase (In the event this is not available, the warranty period will start from the date of manufacture for a period of 180 days)
- Battery compartment photo (to show that the tamper seal is intact)
- Photos / Videos of the problem being experienced

Quite a bit of info to get through!

I am surprised they don't want your coil resistance and wattage you vape at as well....

Well I sent them the completed form together with THESE pics. So we shall see what they have to say. Best case scenario, new mod! Worst case scenario I'll have exactly what I have now :)

Back